Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2020, 08:11:56 PM
I don't like the phrase 'wet pubs'.

Although a dry pub sounds catastrophic.
They love a good wet pub in Galway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPU8-KAN70s

highorlow

I think the Gov missed out on the messaging. I'm probably not alone in being sick of listening to the radio adverts to "stay safe" etc and I turn the channel over now when I here it.

They should've done the adverts in other languages for the ethnic minorities as it's not Paddy that's spreading this anymore, the spreaders are  travellers, Muslims and foreign nationals.

Given the snowflake era we are in if they did adverts in different languages they'd be called out as racists.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

armaghniac

Quote from: highorlow on August 08, 2020, 10:26:38 PM
I think the Gov missed out on the messaging. I'm probably not alone in being sick of listening to the radio adverts to "stay safe" etc and I turn the channel over now when I here it.

They should've done the adverts in other languages for the ethnic minorities as it's not Paddy that's spreading this anymore, the spreaders are  travellers, Muslims and foreign nationals.

Given the snowflake era we are in if they did adverts in different languages they'd be called out as racists.

There is no point in running ads on the radio in different languages, this message should be sent in a more directed way.

These meat plants need to be brought under control. Either they implement proper spacing, as everyone else has had to do, or they test everyone every day at their own expense. You might find that faced with the latter that the former somehow becomes possible after all.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

highorlow

QuoteThese meat plants need to be brought under control. Either they implement proper spacing, as everyone else has had to do, or they test everyone every day at their own expense. You might find that faced with the latter that the former somehow becomes possible after all.

100%. I'm in the construction industry and naturally enough we had a few outlier sites but given the scale of works things are done correctly.

The meat producers are likely complacent as they never shut and were always regarded as "essential" ; people need their cheap salty ham.

Instead of locking down the good people of Offaly and Laois the Government should just lock
Down the meat factories for 2 weeks.

thebigfella

Quote from: highorlow on August 08, 2020, 10:26:38 PM

Is that you Donald?

Cunny Funt

Case this week = 550 (264 more cases than last week)

Deaths in ROI, 10 was reported this week but i think at least 7 of them didn't happen this week. We had 1 reported death last week.

Thats the highest weekly number of case we had since May. Going by the comments from medical experts i think we'll do well to keep under 550 cases for the week ahead.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 09, 2020, 06:00:27 PM

Deaths in ROI, 10 was reported this week but i think at least 7 of them didn't happen this week. We had 1 reported death last week.

Thats the highest weekly number of case we had since May. Going by the comments from medical experts i think we'll do well to keep under 550 cases for the week ahead.

What's the test rate like? Are there more people taking tests now, which will obviously throw up more cases or is it getting worse?

What would be the breakdown on hospitalisation,  ICU, no symptoms?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2020, 06:17:54 PM

What’s the test rate like? Are there more people taking tests now, which will obviously throw up more cases or is it getting worse?

Around 30,000 tests was carried out the last 7 days down from last week when 35,000 tests was done. I'm expecting the following week to increase testing again.

No spike in hospital numbers yet thankfully.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 09, 2020, 06:31:05 PM

What's the test rate like? Are there more people taking tests now, which will obviously throw up more cases or is it getting worse?

Around 30,000 tests was carried out the last 7 days down from last week when 35,000 tests was done. I'm expecting the following week to increase testing again.

So is the strain weakening or is the age group lower so not requiring hospital treatment? I know it's large cases but hopefully the death rate stays as low as it can
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

It seems to be staying at around 80% of the cases being under 45s.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2020, 06:43:31 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 09, 2020, 06:31:05 PM

So is the strain weakening or is the age group lower so not requiring hospital treatment? I know it's large cases but hopefully the death rate stays as low as it can

That seems to be the way for the last few weeks.

highorlow

Hopefully the people getting it now are only getting ordinary flu like symptoms and not the lung scarring and other stuff that's making the headlines. I've also heard of a good few older people back in March that had it and it was just like a head cold and passed through them. We might be ok here for winter as we had a severe flu season last winter unlike the Italians and Spanish who were caught off guard.

It's a case of personal responsibility at this stage but some of the foreign nationals don't get that, particular the Muslims and the ethic travelling community.

sid waddell

Quote from: highorlow on August 10, 2020, 12:41:13 AM

It's a case of personal responsibility at this stage but some of the foreign nationals don't get that, particular the Muslims and the ethic travelling community.
This is like bad satire.

Sure why focus on the actual personal responsibility of the owners and management at meat processing plants to ensure safe working conditions when you can just lump it all on low wage workers and ethnic minorities.

The vacuous right-wing mantra of "personal responsibility" is both a dog whistle and a self-consciously fraudulent grift to protect untrammelled corporate power, and lack of corporate responsibility, and incompetence or worse.

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on August 10, 2020, 01:16:05 AM

This is like bad satire.

Sure why focus on the actual personal responsibility of the owners and management at meat processing plants to ensure safe working conditions when you can just lump it all on low wage workers and ethnic minorities.

The vacuous right-wing mantra of "personal responsibility" is both a dog whistle and a self-consciously fraudulent grift to protect untrammelled corporate power, and lack of corporate responsibility, and incompetence or worse.

No, both the owners and the workers have responsibilities. They cannot just put the blame on the other.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on August 10, 2020, 01:16:05 AM

This is like bad satire.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plant-clusters-may-be-down-to-softly-softly-approach-1.4324924?mode=amp

We know now what works to stop the virus: distance, hand hygiene, masks. We know where the risky environments are: crowded indoor spaces, meat plants, shared accommodation.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU