Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 30, 2022, 01:57:28 PM
Is QuinnBet a reincarnation?

It is like Quinn Insurance, you give Quinn money and he bets it on unusual financial instruments.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bannside

Started about three years ago by son Sean Jr, and doing well in a very competitive industry. Paid shareholder dividends last year of £1.7m, not too shabby!

bannside

Actually Quinnbet is 6 years old, how time flies.

Just finished reading Trevor Birneys "Quinn". A fascinating read from start to finish. Anyone else read it..thoughts or feedback?

LC

I presume it is the book version of the documentary that was on a few weeks ago?

Really enjoyed the documentary, very well made and very informative.

Can not but help have a lot of admiration of what he had achieved up until the whole Anglo thing.   

However when he was given an opportunity to come back into the business thereafter he could not accept he had to take a back seat, lost sympathy for him at this point.  Nobody else would ever have got such an opportunity of being allowed back into a business that they had almost ran into the ground.

screenexile

Quote from: LC on December 31, 2022, 01:23:18 PM
I presume it is the book version of the documentary that was on a few weeks ago?

Really enjoyed the documentary, very well made and very informative.

Can not but help have a lot of admiration of what he had achieved up until the whole Anglo thing.   

However when he was given an opportunity to come back into the business thereafter he could not accept he had to take a back seat, lost sympathy for him at this point.  Nobody else would ever have got such an opportunity of being allowed back into a business that they had almost ran into the ground.

I lost sympathy for him long before that. . . trying to put the assets beyond the state was the point I lost the sympathy for him!

Rossfan

And we in thev  26 will be paying for him for many a year >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on December 31, 2022, 02:40:45 PM
And we in thev  26 will be paying for him for many a year >:(

How much are you personally paying for him each year?

Rossfan

At least € 40 for Insurance and a debt of €400.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Alan Dukes shafted him. He showed his true colours in the documentary. He never should have been allowed anywhere near NAMA
Careful now

armaghniac

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 31, 2022, 04:33:38 PM
Alan Dukes shafted him. He showed his true colours in the documentary. He never should have been allowed anywhere near NAMA

I don't think anypone shafted Quinn only himself.
Dukes' job was to get as much money as possible to save the imposition on the taxpayers, all of whom bar a handful were poorer than Quinn.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on December 31, 2022, 03:57:54 PM
At least € 40 for Insurance and a debt of €400.

I understood it to be. 2% levy so if you pay 40 euro that would mean you are paying in the region of 2000 euro annually in insurance?

balladmaker

I've no idea what Alan Duke's background is outside of politics, but I'm assuming he did not have any business know-how anywhere near the same as Sean Quinn, not many had.  Quinn's point on the doc was interesting i.e. give me a few years and I'd have made it all back and paid any debts that were owed ... no idea why that was not given more consideration at the time.

armaghniac

Quote from: balladmaker on December 31, 2022, 07:26:41 PM

I've no idea what Alan Duke's background is outside of politics, but I'm assuming he did not have any business know-how anywhere near the same as Sean Quinn, not many had.  Quinn's point on the doc was interesting i.e. give me a few years and I'd have made it all back and paid any debts that were owed ... no idea why that was not given more consideration at the time.

Quinn was looting the insurance company which rather underminded his credibility. If he had been completely up front then perhaps Dukes would have taken a chance on him making the money back.

thewobbler

Quote from: balladmaker on December 31, 2022, 07:26:41 PM

Should there maybe be a key learning that one man/family should not have the legal capacity to build such an extraordinary level of business interests?  It seems the only potential outcomes in such cases are high end gambling and/or a repugnantly narcissistic desire to accumulate everyone else's wealth.

qwerty123

I missed the documentary on RTÉ and i don't think it's on the player anymore. Is there any way of viewing it now?