Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

I hope they win simply because I know they will once again invest in the local community and once again create hundreds if not thousands of jobs giving a major boost to the local economy. Quinn may have made mistakes but I would rather he got another go with x amount of millions/billions than let the irish government squander it.

muppet

Quote from: EC Unique on June 06, 2013, 09:00:45 PM
I hope they win simply because I know they will once again invest in the local community and once again create hundreds if not thousands of jobs giving a major boost to the local economy. Quinn may have made mistakes but I would rather he got another go with x amount of millions/billions than let the irish government squander it.

I love this sort of talk about an auld mistake here or there. He bet everything on one horse. A horse called Anglo Irish Bank. He will be spoken about in 500 years time.

He lost nearly €3,000,000,000 and he didn't have the money to cover the margin calls. He went to Anglo and told them about it. They bailed him out. This may have been illegal. Now the Quinns want ME to pay for the mess?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

QuoteQuinn may have made mistakes but I would rather he got another go with x amount of millions/billions than let the irish government squander it.

Yes indeed, they might "squander" the money by running universities for 3 years with the money, providing tens of thousands with qualifications that would allow them prosperous lives. Or they could run the entire Justice system for 15 months, providing some protection against scumbags. They might fund the Arts for the dozen years, or it might like to pay old age pensioners with the money.

Of course, they also might just bet the whole lot on a speculation and lose it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

EC Unique

They might give it out in the mental benefit system in the 26. What is the weekly dole? 200 odd euros? They might give it to a pile of scrounging foreigners who never put a cent into the economy in housing benefit child care etc. They might give it to a few winos who don't have enough to buy their next drink... The list goes on.

armaghniac

There may be details about the structure of benefits that can be debated, but unemployed citizens are more deserving than greedy gamblers who wish to gamble to become even more multi-billionaires, especially as these people's unemployment is largely caused by this type of chancer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

BANKRUPT businessman Sean Quinn's family say the Department of Finance and the financial regulator were well aware the former Anglo Irish Bank gave unlawful loans to prop up its share price in 2008.

An email from Anglo's then CEO David Drumm – under the subject line "regulator squared" – is among documents being relied on by the family to support their claims, according to documents filed in the High Court.

The Quinns are attempting to have the Department of Finance and Central Bank joined as co-defendants with Anglo's successor, the liquidated Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC), in the family's action denying liability for €2.34bn in loans.

And yesterday, in a separate hearing, the Supreme Court ruled that IBRC can proceed with its appeal against a High Court decision allowing the Quinn family litigate claims the bank unlawfully "shovelled" €2.34bn loans into Quinn companies to shore up its share price.

muppet

No surprise really. It just shows though that the mob witch hunt usually settles for only one or two big names. I never heard of Bowe but I hope to be hearing a lot more about him soon.

Of course there isn't a single new crime that would apply to any of these people if they did the same thing all over again.

Just off the top of my head to put all of that tape in context. It happened months after Anglo had thrown money at Quinn, the Maple 10 and the Quinn children. And it happened BEFORE Lenihan told the Dáil that the Bank Guarantee was to deal with a liquidity problem and not an insolvency problem. That tape suggests official Ireland knew differently.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

BANKRUPT businessman Sean Quinn has broken a self-imposed silence to insist his children were the victims of his mistakes.

In an interview with today's 'Impartial Reporter' newspaper, the one-time billionaire said spending time in Mountjoy Prison last year for contempt of court has made him more "determined" to restore the family's name.

He also said that it was his belief that Taoiseach Enda Kenny must have known about his ill-fated acquisition of shares in Anglo Irish Bank.

Mr Quinn also dismissed legal action over the costs of his daughter Ciara's wedding six years ago - including a cake reportedly costing €100,000 - as a "Mickey Mouse argument."

muppet

QuoteHe also said that it was his belief that Taoiseach Enda Kenny must have known about his ill-fated acquisition of shares in Anglo Irish Bank.

He didn't really say that did he?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2013, 04:52:15 PM
QuoteHe also said that it was his belief that Taoiseach Enda Kenny must have known about his ill-fated acquisition of shares in Anglo Irish Bank.

So now it's all Kenny's fault?  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

supersarsfields

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2013, 04:52:15 PM

Kenny questioned Cowen in the Dail that the loans were illegal and in breach of Section 60 back I 2009. So I'd say he had a fair idea what was going on.