Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

For a crowd that are "bankrupt" the Quinns seem to have no problem with hiring Barristers and traipsing through the Courts morning, noon and night.
They sicken my hole  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

supersarsfields

No way? Wouldn't have guessed that.
Maybe use your head a little. I don't think the Quinns have an option on a lot of the court apperances.

tommysmith

Quote from: trileacman on February 07, 2013, 10:08:07 PM
QuoteEssentially that means the family of former Fermanagh businessman Sean Quinn can no longer sue Anglo/IBRC over the legality of €2.3 billion in debts, but the bank can still sue them in order to recover what it says the family owe.

Don't see how that would appear fair to any reasonable person.

I have to say when all this started i though the Quinns were at fault, lately i am not so sure.

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2013, 10:54:28 AM
For a crowd that are "bankrupt" the Quinns seem to have no problem with hiring Barristers and traipsing through the Courts morning, noon and night.

The depths the Irish government are going to to prevent the Quinns having their day in court has a nasty smell to it alright.

Will the truth ever come out?

FermGael

Quote from: johnneycool on February 08, 2013, 01:37:27 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2013, 10:54:28 AM

The depths the Irish government are going to to prevent the Quinns having their day in court has a nasty smell to it alright.

Will the truth ever come out?

I think that may very well be the case.

It would not surprise me if a deal is now done with Nama.
The 'debt' is now on their book.  They have done deals with most of the major developers.
The will not have the baggage that IRBS had with the Quinn's and it may be a chance for both parties to try and come to some sort of compromise.

The Government does not want this going to court.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

muppet

NAMA has been far more successful at extracting what it is owed than the IBRC/Anglo. That is one of the reasons why IBRC was shut down and everything moved to NAMA.
MWWSI 2017

supersarsfields

I think the days of a compromise have been and gone. I don't see NAMA making a U-turn on what Anglo had been doing. I would love to have seen the Quinns continue with this case but I think the Irish state have made it pretty clear that they are not prepared to allow that to happen at any costs.

muppet

Quote from: supersarsfields on February 08, 2013, 04:31:25 PM
I think the days of a compromise have been and gone. I don't see NAMA making a U-turn on what Anglo had been doing. I would love to have seen the Quinns continue with this case but I think the Irish state have made it pretty clear that they are not prepared to allow that to happen at any costs.

At this stage I am expecting a Quinn to announce that they are doing this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/
MWWSI 2017

supersarsfields

They'd have more chance of getting him than the Irish state. At least god might play fair. 

Shamrock Shore

orangeman

Quote from: tommysmith on February 08, 2013, 01:26:09 PM
Quote from: trileacman on February 07, 2013, 10:08:07 PM
QuoteEssentially that means the family of former Fermanagh businessman Sean Quinn can no longer sue Anglo/IBRC over the legality of €2.3 billion in debts, but the bank can still sue them in order to recover what it says the family owe.

Don't see how that would appear fair to any reasonable person.

I have to say when all this started i though the Quinns were at fault, lately i am not so sure.

I have to say when all this started that I thought that the government were not deliberately trying to stroke the Quinns. Now I am sure they've stroked them !

FermGael

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 08, 2013, 05:08:43 PM
God probably keeps receipts.

They are just using the Bertie defence. If it's good enough for the Taoiseach.

Rossfan

Quote from: FermGael on February 10, 2013, 09:27:54 AM

No one believed him either  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

FermGael

Quote from: Rossfan on February 10, 2013, 03:48:49 PM
Quote from: FermGael on February 10, 2013, 09:27:54 AM

No one believed him either  ;)

Maybe but he still got away with it

supersarsfields

Members of Seán Quinn's family have been given permission by the Commercial Court to bring a challenge to a section of the recently passed IBRC legislation, which places a stay on legal proceedings against the liquidated bank.

Mr Justice Peter Kelly said the court was faced with "something of a conundrum" as the Quinns' case against IBRC was before the court for mention today.

The judge said the IBRC Act had been passed into law yet no one could get a copy of it. This was an unsatisfactory situation, he said.

A section of the Act provided for an immediate stay on all proceedings against IBRC and the Quinns were asking for leave to bring a case seeking to have that stay lifted.

The judge said his first concern was there was no jurisdiction in the Act to lift that stay but there appeared to be provision to permit new proceedings.

The issues would have to be argued before the Court he said, adding that this was the first of a number of cases against IBRC before the Commercial Court and the outcome would have implications for all litigation affected by the stay.

A hearing of the application will be held on 7 March.

The Quinns' case against IBRC claims they are not liable for €2.34bn in loans, which they claim were unlawfully given to prop up the bank's share price.

The case was due before the Commercial Court today to consider an application by the Quinns to join others to the case.

Counsel for the Quinns, Ross Alyward, said the family were seeking liberty to bring a motion asking the Court to lift the stay on proceedings against the bank provided for in the new legislation.

He said the jurisdiction of the court to lift the stay would be a matter for debate. Senior Counsel for the liquidator Paul Gallagher said there was no objection to the bringing of the application.

Mr Justice Kelly asked if anyone had been able to get a copy of the Act as passed and was told by Paul Gallagher it was "not available at the moment".

The judge said it was "very unsatisfactory that we all have to work within an Act and can't get a copy of it, and we are left conjecturing as to whether there were any amendments" before it was passed.

He granted liberty to bring the application and said the Court would have to construe the provisions of the act to see if there was jurisdiction to deal with the stay.

The case was the first major litigation against the bank in the Commercial Court list to arise since the legislation.

However there were many others which all appear to be captured by the stay, Mr Justice Kelly said, adding that it would have implications for all litigation affected by the stay.