Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Not a lie, a mistake - I neglected to acquaint myself with the difference between criminal and civil contempt. However, despite your eloquent rebuttal, this does not alter one iota the contention that it is no part of the GAA's remit (never mind being "what the GAA is all about") to be officially aligning itself with jailbirds who hold the courts and, by extension, the community in contempt.

trileacman

Quote from: Hardy on December 15, 2012, 01:07:46 PM
Not a lie, a mistake - I neglected to acquaint myself with the difference between criminal and civil contempt. However, despite your eloquent rebuttal, this does not alter one iota the contention that it is no part of the GAA's remit (never mind being "what the GAA is all about") to be officially aligning itself with jailbirds who hold the courts and, by extension, the community in contempt.

So be it then, you believe in betraying your friends and those who stood by you for most of their life. I'm glad the people of Fermanagh see it otherwise though and that gives me some hope.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hardy

I think you're a little mixed up. That's Mr. Quinn you're describing.

EC Unique

Quote from: Hardy on December 15, 2012, 12:00:51 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on December 15, 2012, 10:40:21 AM
Because he was a great supporter of fermanagh over the years and now that he is going through a rough time he deserves some support back. That is what the GAA is all about. If you don't understand that you need to have a look at yourself.

On your advice, I've taken a reasonably good look a myself in a floor to ceiling wardrobe mirror. It wasn't a pleasant experience, to be honest. Especially as it was a complete waste of time, since it didn't help me at all to understand your proposition that making official statements in support of convicted criminals "is what the GAA is all about", despite your promise that it would. So I'm never doing that again and I'm just going to have to stick with what I always thought before you tried to confuse me - that what the GAA is all about is football, hurling and handball. Oh - and rounders.

It is a lot more than that where I come from. It is about a sense of belonging, friendship, sticking together, community, etc

Maybe not like that in your area.

Hardy

Sticking together against whom? The rest of the community, including the rest of the GAA membership who are carrying the can for Mr. Quinn's behaviour, that your part of the GAA offficially endorses? That's a kind of belonging that's grand for those belonging but excludes everyone else.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: EC Unique on December 15, 2012, 02:57:37 PM
Because he was a great supporter of fermanagh over the years and now that he is going through a rough time he deserves some support back. That is what the GAA is all about. If you don't understand that you need to have a look at yourself.

On your advice, I've taken a reasonably good look a myself in a floor to ceiling wardrobe mirror. It wasn't a pleasant experience, to be honest. Especially as it was a complete waste of time, since it didn't help me at all to understand your proposition that making official statements in support of convicted criminals "is what the GAA is all about", despite your promise that it would. So I'm never doing that again and I'm just going to have to stick with what I always thought before you tried to confuse me - that what the GAA is all about is football, hurling and handball. Oh - and rounders.

It is a lot more than that where I come from. It is about a sense of belonging, friendship, sticking together, community, etc

Does it just depend on the crime? How much money you have? What's the selection criteria for belonging and sticking together?

supersarsfields

Quote from: Hardy on December 15, 2012, 03:20:20 PM
Sticking together against whom? The rest of the community, including the rest of the GAA membership who are carrying the can for Mr. Quinn's behaviour, that your part of the GAA offficially endorses? That's a kind of belonging that's grand for those belonging but excludes everyone else.

Hardy, I'm sure there'll be a AGM coming up shortly for your club if it hasn't already happened. If ur that annoyed I'm sure you could raise a motion against any support for Sean Quinn. Sure if you have the support I'm sure you can get it passed. In Fermanagh they're thankfull for the input SQ had, and it seems they believe that he has been unfairly treated. Thankfully the GAA will listen to its members. And if an issue isn't supported it'll not go ahead.

Rossfan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 15, 2012, 06:04:31 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on December 15, 2012, 02:57:37 PM

Does it just depend on the crime? How much money you have? What's the selection criteria for belonging and sticking together?
Some years ago two well known GAA individuals were convicted of sexual abuse of young people.
I wonder is EC upset that no GAA unit passed any votes of support for those 2 ?
Obviously  "belonging, friendship, sticking together, community, etc" doesn't apply to everyone  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

All of a Sludden

The governor of Mountjoy Prison consulted the Irish justice minister over the legality of granting compassionate temporary release to jailed former billionaire Sean Quinn.

It is understood that prison governor Ned Whelan sought advice from the Republic's Department of Justice following repeated requests from the Quinn family to release him to attend his granddaughter's christening on Saturday.

Mr Whelan, who received fresh submissions yesterday from Mr Quinn's lawyers, sought advice on whether temporary release could be granted.

The matter has been referred back to the governor, who will decide in the coming days whether to release Mr Quinn or detain him until January 4.

Ireland's justice minister Alan Shatter said last night that he does not comment on individual cases, adding that he will consider applications for temporary release over the Christmas period as has been the case in previous years.

Mr Quinn (left) (66) is serving a nine-week sentence for contempt of court.

His daughter, Ciara, his solicitor and a local priest

from Cavan have all written to Mr Whelan appealing for the businessman to be granted temporary release to attend the christening and spend the following five days with his family.

Cavan Town Council yesterday unanimously passed a motion calling on the governor to grant Mr Quinn temporary release for Christmas.

Deputy mayor and Fianna Fail councillor Paddy Conaty said a fax was sent to Mr Whelan outlining the council's request yesterday morning.

"I made the point that we're not judging, it's not our business to do that and nobody is above the law," said Mr Conaty.

"At the same time, given the man's age and the huge amount of good he did for the area, that can't just simply be forgotten."

Mr Conaty said he understood Mr Quinn was "generally in good form and settling in well" in prison. However, councillors felt he should be released for the sake of his family.

"He's that type of man, he'd be able to stick it out, but it's for his family," he said.

A spokesman for the Irish Prison Service (IPS) said the list of prisoners being granted temporary release for Christmas has not yet been finalised.

The decision on who gets out is made by individual governors in conjunction with IPS operations directors.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Tony Baloney

Do the crime, do the time. Poor Sean.

supersarsfields

No Temporary release for anyone then? I Suppose that would be fair enough.

orangeman

Quote from: supersarsfields on December 20, 2012, 01:38:39 PM

So called republican dissidents are released and have been released for christenings etc etc

Sean Quinn shouldn't be released for a christening ??

Mother of God !

Tony Baloney

I find the whole temporary release thing a strange one. I agree it should be consistent and I would be against it in general. If he is entitled to temporary release as an ordinary decent criminal then so be it but I wouldnt advocate special treatment because he is Sean Quinn.

EC Unique

Quote from: orangeman on December 20, 2012, 03:28:13 PM

So called republican dissidents are released and have been released for christenings etc etc

Sean Quinn shouldn't be released for a christening ??

Mother of God !

Southerners need somebody to blame for the pathetic condition their country is in so why not Sean Quinn. Hang him high!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 20, 2012, 01:36:18 PM
Do the crime, do the time. Poor Sean.

eh, what CRIME are you referring to??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!