Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

QuoteThe bit in bold suggests that a minority of people do know, but I'm guessing that wasn't what you intended to imply.

Well obviously the people doing the actions know who's doing it. But the vast majority that I know don't. and unless you knew something concrete there's not much point casting accusations.

QuoteHowever rightly or wrongly, the perception of tolerance exists, and for as long as these attacks on property and unlawful attempts to obstruct business take place without any charges made by the Gardaí, that perception will continue.

Well have to agree to disagree here. I don't see a perception of tolerance and I don't believe others do either. People are smart enough not to tarnish a whole geographic area of the actions of a few.

The CIC have criticised the attacks as well. But I'll agree with you that they need a new Spoke's person as Ms Gilheaney, no matter how well intended she may be, is a terrible public speaker.

Lone Shark

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2012, 11:29:56 PM
QuoteHowever rightly or wrongly, the perception of tolerance exists, and for as long as these attacks on property and unlawful attempts to obstruct business take place without any charges made by the Gardaí, that perception will continue.

Well have to agree to disagree here. I don't see a perception of tolerance and I don't believe others do either. People are smart enough not to tarnish a whole geographic area of the actions of a few.

If you say that there is no tolerance for the assorted criminality and work stoppages that are taking place in Cavan, then I would accept your word. However equally, I am saying that from speaking to people here in Galway and at home in Offaly, that view would be held. There is the view that people tolerate the illegal protests, there is the view that border people feel that the Quinn family should be above the law just because a few south Dublin schysters appear to be, and there is the perception that people support the actions of the Quinn family, which are in contempt of the court. This isn't about agreeing to disagree, this is about how you're in one place, I'm in another, and the perception is completely different in the two.

And if I'm in business and considering establishing a base, be it production, support or retail, I might be able to see that the vast majority of people don't support the actions of the few, but I also see that the actions of the few are going unpunished. And if I'm choosing between one location where there is a 5% chance of my business being sabotaged by a few lunatics trying to "support" their local chieftain, and another location where there is 0% chance of that happening, then it doesn't matter to me that there's a 95% chance I'll be fine, or that in the case of an incident, 99% of people will condemn what was done to my enterprise, as it lies smouldering in ruins. I'll still go with the safe option. Equally, how can I do business with people when they give a very clear signal that this is how you treat creditors - you make a mockery of them by moving assets everywhere and claiming that papers you signed were done so without being read, and so the contract should be void?

What logical person would try to do business in such an environment?

supersarsfields

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 27, 2012, 12:30:24 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2012, 11:29:56 PM

If you say that there is no tolerance for the assorted criminality and work stoppages that are taking place in Cavan, then I would accept your word. However equally, I am saying that from speaking to people here in Galway and at home in Offaly, that view would be held. There is the view that people tolerate the illegal protests, there is the view that border people feel that the Quinn family should be above the law just because a few south Dublin schysters appear to be, and there is the perception that people support the actions of the Quinn family, which are in contempt of the court. This isn't about agreeing to disagree, this is about how you're in one place, I'm in another, and the perception is completely different in the two.

Well I'm afraid we will have to disagree. Sean has received huge support from Galway. There was even buses coming up from there to one of the protests. Sean's wife Patricia is from Galway and I know the support the family have been given from that area. So again I don't agree with your view on people from Galway not supporting him.
Again you are trying to make out that the Contempt is the only case in town. It isn't. There's possible to support the Quinns in their actions against anglo and the Loans while disagreeing with the contempt.

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 27, 2012, 12:30:24 AM

And if I'm in business and considering establishing a base, be it production, support or retail, I might be able to see that the vast majority of people don't support the actions of the few, but I also see that the actions of the few are going unpunished. And if I'm choosing between one location where there is a 5% chance of my business being sabotaged by a few lunatics trying to "support" their local chieftain, and another location where there is 0% chance of that happening, then it doesn't matter to me that there's a 95% chance I'll be fine, or that in the case of an incident, 99% of people will condemn what was done to my enterprise, as it lies smouldering in ruins. I'll still go with the safe option. Equally, how can I do business with people when they give a very clear signal that this is how you treat creditors - you make a mockery of them by moving assets everywhere and claiming that papers you signed were done so without being read, and so the contract should be void?

What logical person would try to do business in such an environment?

Again we're chatting about opinions here so we're not going to agree. People understand that the actions, however stupid they are are against Anglo Irish bank. Why would another Business owner be worried. If you want to reverse that round. I'm sure the crime rate in Dublin is much higher than Fermanagh. So why would any logical person set up business in Dublin? Why not set up somewhere where the crime rate is lower.
The fact of the matter is that Fermanagh was never that popular for Businesses setting up at any stage. There was little economic stimulation from either side of the border until Sean Quinn set up and I can't see that changing.

orangeman

Delegates at the Fermanagh GAA County Convention have passed a resolution in support of Sean Quinn and his family.

Sean Quinn was sentenced to nine weeks in jail last November for contempt of court, while his son has also served a prison sentence for failing to comply with court orders to stop putting international assets out of the reach of IBRC, formerly known as Anglo Irish Bank.

The statement read: "Sean Quinn and the Quinn Group has been a very generous supporter of the Fermanagh GAA family for a long time and his exceptional innovative skills have brought great benefits to all Fermanagh people.

"Delegates also expressed concern regarding the future of employment under the direction of the current management who now control the Quinn Group.

"Fermanagh GAA wishes to express their best wishes to Sean and his family at this time and hope that 2013 will bring a favourable conclusion for the Quinn family in their present difficulties."

Louth Exile

Quote from: orangeman on December 14, 2012, 04:18:53 PM
Delegates at the Fermanagh GAA County Convention have passed a resolution in support of Sean Quinn and his family.

Sean Quinn was sentenced to nine weeks in jail last November for contempt of court, while his son has also served a prison sentence for failing to comply with court orders to stop putting international assets out of the reach of IBRC, formerly known as Anglo Irish Bank.

The statement read: "Sean Quinn and the Quinn Group has been a very generous supporter of the Fermanagh GAA family for a long time and his exceptional innovative skills have brought great benefits to all Fermanagh people.

"Delegates also expressed concern regarding the future of employment under the direction of the current management who now control the Quinn Group.

"Fermanagh GAA wishes to express their best wishes to Sean and his family at this time and hope that 2013 will bring a favourable conclusion for the Quinn family in their present difficulties."

Well Done Fermanagh CB   ::) Bringing more shame on the GAA
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

orangeman

Quote from: Louth Exile on December 14, 2012, 07:51:56 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 14, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

Well Done Fermanagh CB   ::) Bringing more shame on the GAA

What else have Fermanagh done to shame the GAA ?

EC Unique

Fair play to Fermanagh. Proper order that he should get their full support.

Nally Stand

Quote from: EC Unique on December 14, 2012, 09:56:05 PM
Fair play to Fermanagh. Proper order that he should get their full support.
+1
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

EC Unique

Because he was a great supporter of fermanagh over the years and now that he is going through a rough time he deserves some support back. That is what the GAA is all about. If you don't understand that you need to have a look at yourself.

Tubberman

Quote from: EC Unique on December 15, 2012, 10:40:21 AM
Because he was a great supporter of fermanagh over the years and now that he is going through a rough time he deserves some support back. That is what the GAA is all about. If you don't understand that you need to have a look at yourself.

Is any consideration given to what he did, or is it unconditional support?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

deiseach

I can think of a few people who have been very good to the GAA over the years who would be totally blanked if they turned up at the door of any locker room. Shame.

Hardy

On your advice, I've taken a reasonably good look a myself in a floor to ceiling wardrobe mirror. It wasn't a pleasant experience, to be honest. Especially as it was a complete waste of time, since it didn't help me at all to understand your proposition that making official statements in support of convicted criminals "is what the GAA is all about", despite your promise that it would. So I'm never doing that again and I'm just going to have to stick with what I always thought before you tried to confuse me - that what the GAA is all about is football, hurling and handball. Oh - and rounders.

trileacman

Quote from: Hardy on December 15, 2012, 12:00:51 PM

On your advice, I've taken a reasonably good look a myself in a floor to ceiling wardrobe mirror. It wasn't a pleasant experience, to be honest. Especially as it was a complete waste of time, since it didn't help me at all to understand your proposition that making official statements in support of convicted criminals "is what the GAA is all about", despite your promise that it would. So I'm never doing that again and I'm just going to have to stick with what I always thought before you tried to confuse me - that what the GAA is all about is football, hurling and handball. Oh - and rounders.

He's not a convicted criminal, that's just a blatant lie that renders the rest of your post as a rant of shite.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014