Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Quote from: EC Unique on November 24, 2012, 09:31:23 AM
The craic will really start when quinn proves that he did not in fact owe the 2.8 billion and then has a case against the state for destroying the group.

I don't envy them having to take on the establishment, courts and all...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on November 24, 2012, 09:31:23 AM
The craic will really start when quinn proves that he did not in fact owe the 2.8 billion and then has a case against the state for destroying the group.

That won't happen.

Sorry that can't happen.

Quinns can't bea the system.

In tomorrow's Independent, they're going after ANGLO / IRBC and focussing on the vendetta IRBC have on the Quinn family.

Maguire01

Just watched the interview - not sure what else people expected from the Late Late - it's a light entertainment show - if he thought he was going to go onto that show and get into the legal details, he was deluded.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 24, 2012, 11:47:31 AM
Just watched the interview - not sure what else people expected from the Late Late - it's a light entertainment show - if he thought he was going to go onto that show and get into the legal details, he was deluded.

He was happy enough to discuss the contempt legal cases. Just no other ones.

Maguire01

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 24, 2012, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 24, 2012, 11:47:31 AM

He was happy enough to discuss the contempt legal cases. Just no other ones.
Was he not discussing judgements already passed?

supersarsfields

But why not discuss everything? It's not like most of the information isn't out in the public domain already. Kinda pointless taking a look at one aspect without discussing the bigger picture.

supersarsfields

Didn't know whether to put this into this thread or the movies one!!  :P

QuoteIt is reported that the rise and fall of Fermanagh businessman Sean Quinn is to be made into a film, with Kevin Spacey and Omagh-born actor Gerard McSorley both tipped for the lead role.

The Irish Independent reports that the film will be made by Dublin-based Soho Moon Productions and production is planned for next year.

Soho Moon owner James Mitchell's credits as a producer include Into the West, Croupier and the Spacey and McSorley-starring Ordinary Decent Criminal.

The script for the film will be written by Northern Irish Emmy winner Ron Hutchinson, whose credits include The Burning Season and Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2012, 01:26:39 PM
Didn't know whether to put this into this thread or the movies one!!  :P

QuoteIt is reported that the rise and fall of Fermanagh businessman Sean Quinn is to be made into a film, with Kevin Spacey and Omagh-born actor Gerard McSorley both tipped for the lead role.

The Irish Independent reports that the film will be made by Dublin-based Soho Moon Productions and production is planned for next year.

Soho Moon owner James Mitchell's credits as a producer include Into the West, Croupier and the Spacey and McSorley-starring Ordinary Decent Criminal.

The script for the film will be written by Northern Irish Emmy winner Ron Hutchinson, whose credits include The Burning Season and Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story.

I would assume all legal wranglings will not be resolved by next year so will be interesting to see what slant it takes - in this case there will be arguments of bias from all quarters!

supersarsfields

QuoteHarkin challenges government over job losses at former Quinn companies

Published on Monday 26 November 2012 13:00

Local MEP Marian Harkin (Ind) has begun a challenge on the Irish Government over the job losses that have been announced at the former Quinn Companies

The announcement, which was made last week, indicated that there would be a further 285 redundancies at Liberty Mutual Insurance, which Harkin said, would "have grave consequences for the border areas".

"On the day that receivers were sent in to the Quinn Group, the Minister for Finance, Michael Noonan said the deal was a good news story  for the workers and border region," Ms Harkin fumed.

"In the Dail - referring to the disposal of Quinn Insurance, to Liberty Mutual - the Minister said that another factor in the government's decision to go with the Liberty Mutual/Anglo proposal was the fact that virtually all of the jobs would be protected - aside from the 24 redundancies in Manchester.  I have been informed however that the decision to appoint a share receiver will have no significant impact on jobs in the wider Quinn Group."

The Independent MEP for the North/West went on to say that – to date and according to her calculations – job losses at the former Quinn Insurance company, now stood at 1,185 in total, and this clearly highlighted "the Government's total understatement of the consequences of breaking up the Quinn Group".

"The Minister must now institute an immediate evaluation of the current position of all of the former Quinn Group companies and ascertain the intentions of the current owners, if they can be identified," she explained further.  "The border areas cannot sustain any more shock announcements from Liberty Mutual or from the owners of former Quinn Group companies which could be disposed of at any time."

Lone Shark

It was stupid to think that there would be any light cast on the whole affair by an interview between SQ Jnr and Ryan Tubridy. Tubridy was always going to be painfully out of his depth dealing with the legal intricacies of this case, any focus on the "human" element just clouds matters even further with spin and bluster, and the option to avoid answering a question due to the ongoing court cases was always there. This was an attempt to be "topical" just for the sake of it.

I do feel sorry for the employees that have the threat of redundancy hanging over their heads here. They are the innocent victims in all this and no amount of finger-pointing or blame can help them. The State failed to regulate, Anglo Irish bank made loans that may or may not have been legal but were certainly ill-advised, and Sean Quinn took an unmerciful gamble that was wholly unnecessary. Any one of these three parties could have taken steps to make this whole facade a bit less likely, but none did, and that's very sad. 

As has been discussed at length, there are those who believe that the Quinn Group were in serious difficulty regardless, but that will of course be difficult to prove one way or another.

I will say this though. Protesting on the streets of Ballyconnell is one thing; I fundamentally disagree with the point of view that is held, and I certainly question the judgement of some of the high profile outsiders who got involved, but it is still a legitimate protest, a statement of public disillusionment, and that's fine.

However all of these protests that try to obstruct companies from going about their daily business are making it a lot easier for Liberty and indeed other firms to question if they want to do business in the border areas. It's all very well to be angry at what's happened, but taking it out on everyone by causing suspicious fires, creating roadblocks and generally blocking business from taking place is foolhardy. I've no doubt that Liberty Mutual bosses are looking at all this and wondering if they really want to be part of this community which seems to tolerate a certain degree of lawlessness, as long as the motivation is deemed appropriate. The courts will determine in time whether the movement of assets to frustrate creditors was legal or not, but there are those in the affected area that consider the Quinns to be perfectly correct in their actions, regardless of what the law says. There are those who deem obstructive protests to be legitimate, and that's not the kind of culture within which I would like to run a large multinational business.

If these jobs are lost, Marian Harkin and the other parish pumpers in the area will be the first ones screaming for large efforts to be made for those jobs to be replaced. But if I was responsible for enterprise and job creation, and I had the choice of looking after one area that has the potential to sabotage the whole thing in a show of solidarity with their local chieftain and his family, or spending my time and energy trying to help another area equally hit by unemployment but without the same obstructionist tendencies, I know who I'd favour. I'd concentrate my efforts on helping Limerick, Donegal, Waterford, or any of the other blackspots, long before I'd lift a finger to help Cavan.

I hope these protesters start to think of this pretty soon.

supersarsfields

To be fair Loneshark, the feeling in the local area now is against the attacks. Even from the start alot of people were against it. But unfortunately as with any swell of feeling it only takes a small number to overstep the mark and take action into their own hands. But I think it's become clear now that such attacks are only having a negative effect and so I cant see them continuing. Or at least I would hope not. SQ himself says they're idiotic.

Lone Shark

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2012, 04:45:18 PM
To be fair Loneshark, the feeling in the local area now is against the attacks. Even from the start alot of people were against it. But unfortunately as with any swell of feeling it only takes a small number to overstep the mark and take action into their own hands. But I think it's become clear now that such attacks are only having a negative effect and so I cant see them continuing. Or at least I would hope not. SQ himself says they're idiotic.

That's as may be but am I correct in saying that no arrests have been made? If I was lucky enough to have a PAYE job and some miscreants were endangering it with this kind of misguided criminality, my first step would be to ask them to stop and my second step would be to inform the Gardaí. However I don't believe anything like that is happening. This is no different to lads burning out cars for kicks or making a living off burglary or muggings. It's criminality, yet what I've heard (admittedly from just one guard in the area) is that nobody wants to make any statements to the police.

Nobody is naive enough to think that the vast majority of people in the area are criminals - but it looks to the world that there is a TOLERANCE of criminality there, whether that be of the white collar variety, or of the sabotaging kind. That's enough to draw a line through the area when it comes to any form of business enterprise.

If you're telling me that the locals are turning on these yobs and doing their best to see them behind bars, then fair play and there's hope for the community yet. I just haven't seen/read any evidence of this.

Rossfan

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2012, 03:01:05 PM
QuoteHarkin challenges government over job losses at former Quinn companies

Published on Monday 26 November 2012 13:00

Local MEP Marian Harkin (Ind) has begun a challenge on the Irish Government over the job losses that have been announced at the former Quinn Companies

"The Minister must now institute an immediate evaluation of the current position of all of the former Quinn Group companies and ascertain the intentions of the current owners, if they can be identified," she explained further.  "The border areas cannot sustain any more shock announcements from Liberty Mutual or from the owners of former Quinn Group companies which could be disposed of at any time."

Jasus Marian is a great help.  ::)
She's another great argument for dictatorship  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

supersarsfields

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 26, 2012, 04:54:38 PM

That's as may be but am I correct in saying that no arrests have been made? If I was lucky enough to have a PAYE job and some miscreants were endangering it with this kind of misguided criminality, my first step would be to ask them to stop and my second step would be to inform the Gardaí. However I don't believe anything like that is happening. This is no different to lads burning out cars for kicks or making a living off burglary or muggings. It's criminality, yet what I've heard (admittedly from just one guard in the area) is that nobody wants to make any statements to the police.

Nobody is naive enough to think that the vast majority of people in the area are criminals - but it looks to the world that there is a TOLERANCE of criminality there, whether that be of the white collar variety, or of the sabotaging kind. That's enough to draw a line through the area when it comes to any form of business enterprise.

If you're telling me that the locals are turning on these yobs and doing their best to see them behind bars, then fair play and there's hope for the community yet. I just haven't seen/read any evidence of this.

Your making it sound that the community know who is doing it. I'd be pretty well placed in that community and know that the majority of people don't know who is doing it. there's plenty of allegations being thrown round and the police have investigated leads. But without evidence they can't do anything. To try and make this out as tolerance is nonsence in my opinion.

Lone Shark

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2012, 05:27:19 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on November 26, 2012, 04:54:38 PM

Your making it sound that the community know who is doing it. I'd be pretty well placed in that community and know that the majority of people don't know who is doing it. there's plenty of allegations being thrown round and the police have investigated leads. But without evidence they can't do anything. To try and make this out as tolerance is nonsence in my opinion.

I'm not trying to make it out as anything. I don't live in the area and if you're telling me that it's genuinely not known who's at this, then fair enough. The bit in bold suggests that a minority of people do know, but I'm guessing that wasn't what you intended to imply. One friend of mine is a guard in the area and his view to me was that "it's impossible to investigate, you just meet a brick wall everywhere you turn" or words to that effect. Hence my post.

However rightly or wrongly, the perception of tolerance exists, and for as long as these attacks on property and unlawful attempts to obstruct business take place without any charges made by the Gardaí, that perception will continue.

This kind of thing doesn't help:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/warning-of-civil-unrest-if-quinn-is-sent-to-prison-3279522.html

Quote"Many have also commented that if Sean Quinn or any of his family drop dead from the sheer pressure and stress that they are being subjected to on a daily basis, there will be very serious consequences for their perpetrators and for those who facilitated this horror," said Ms Gilheany.

Only the lady in question knows what she intended to say here, but surely it must be obvious that it reads as a veiled threat of violence, aimed at all those who are attempting to subject the Quinn family to due legal process and to exact repayment of the debt. If that's not what is meant, the CIC need a new spokesperson.