Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

The Quinns believe there's political influence over the courts here. A belief I'd agree with. When u look at the actions of Judge Dunne and also look at Irish politicians asking their Russian counterparts to investigate rulings in other jurisdictions, I can understand why.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 08, 2012, 09:46:24 PM
If he's throwing insults he's big enough to take them.
He wasn't insulting you, unless you are a Quinn  ;)

ludermor

armaghniac

QuoteThe Quinns believe there's political influence over the courts here. A belief I'd agree with.

On what basis? Any judge would take a dim view of anyone giving the court two fingers, and they wouldn't need a politician to encourage them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

supersarsfields

I've explained before the reasons behind their distrust of the courts. I'm on iPhone now so not typing it all out. Will post tomorrow when on laptop. Or read back regarding my posts on Judge Dunne.

If he's happy enough throwing insults about regarding anyone then he can take them. He's a big boy.

Lone Shark

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 08, 2012, 09:35:05 PM
The Quinns believe there's political influence over the courts here. A belief I'd agree with. When u look at the actions of Judge Dunne and also look at Irish politicians asking their Russian counterparts to investigate rulings in other jurisdictions, I can understand why.

Irish politicians will do what looks good to Irish voters. If the Irish voters as a whole that we wanted all our political leaders to be Muslim, the 166 TDS in the Dáil would be on the floor facing Mecca before you or I could blink. That means nothing to this debate.

However it's another thing entirely to say that they have influence over the courts, or that the courts aren't impartial. There is not one shred of evidence for this, whether you believe it or not. To call this into question is to doubt the very fundamentals of this state, it's to call into question the very rule of law. I wonder if I was to go up to one of the Quinn family and rob them at knifepoint, would they be as much against the enforcement of the law of the land? I've a sneaking suspicion their selective anarchism wouldn't quite go that far.

You can't genuinely be endorsing a system whereby people should be allowed to pick and choose whether or not to abide by the law of the land, and the courts that enforce it? Honestly, what kind of society would we have then?

Is this really the basis for your support for the Quinns - you share a belief that the Irish court system is corrupt?

sammymaguire

Where are the men who were in power when all this mess happened? Pat Neary for starters... The financial regulator who was in charge of the banking system - walked away scot free... Cowen, Drumm, McAteer, Fitzpatrick - Some of them, they're time may come but I don't see any of them behind bars tonight or having to answer too many questions thus far

The Quinn family had the billions to fill the massive hole in the Irish exchequer and going after them deflects the public anger away from the men who were supposedly in charge of running the country.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

supersarsfields

The difference here LS is that the State will benefit depending on the decision of the courts. That's a huge difference. You don't believe that has any effect. I don't believe your take about why Irish politicians are getting involved with court proceedings abroad. To me I see it as an extension of what they are at here. As for proof, as mentioned before it can be hard to get undisputed proof. But the actions of Judge Dunne have done enough for me to question how impartical the Irish courts are.

Lone Shark

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 08, 2012, 10:25:54 PM
The difference here LS is that the State will benefit depending on the decision of the courts. That's a huge difference. You don't believe that has any effect. I don't believe your take about why Irish politicians are getting involved with court proceedings abroad. To me I see it as an extension of what they are at here. As for proof, as mentioned before it can be hard to get undisputed proof. But the actions of Judge Dunne have done enough for me to question how impartical the Irish courts are.

If the courts ruled according to the coffers of the state, there's no way we would have got the decision that we got recently regarding the ESAT licence, since that has the potential to open up another 2bn liability. There is no evidence whatsoever for your belief.

Surely it is possible that even though you may not agree with the decision, that it still could be made honestly? After all, the Supreme Court may not have fully endorsed everything that Justice Dunne did, but their ruling did generally tally with hers.

Every day that courts sit, there are rulings that I would not agree with. In every sitting of the high court or supreme court, there are rulings that benefit the state, and others that hinder it. This conspiracy theory of yours (and the Quinns, assuming they genuinely believe it and aren't using it as a smokescreen for old fashioned greed) just has no foundation whatsoever and the only people that hold it are those who would support the Quinns regardless of what they did.

supersarsfields

All 5 judges ruled against the actions she placed against Sean Quinn Jr's contempt. I could allow a certain leeway if it was 3-2 or even 4-1. A complete idiot would have seen the injustice in what see did. You don't have a major issue with that. I do. She was bending over backwards for Anglo. But in actual fact went so far that she made a mess of it for them.
Your happy to accept this as just a mistake by the Judge, and that Irish politicians getting involved in court cases in other jurisdictions is just "appeasing the voters". I don't. Call it a smokescreen all you like, but there's enough there to cast doubt.

seafoid

Quote from: sammymaguire on November 08, 2012, 10:17:12 PM
Where are the men who were in power when all this mess happened? Pat Neary for starters... The financial regulator who was in charge of the banking system - walked away scot free... Cowen, Drumm, McAteer, Fitzpatrick - Some of them, they're time may come but I don't see any of them behind bars tonight or having to answer too many questions thus far

The Quinn family had the billions to fill the massive hole in the Irish exchequer and going after them deflects the public anger away from the men who were supposedly in charge of running the country.
Conspiracy thrives in the absence of transparency.
According to the FT, Quinn at his peak was worth 6bn. He bet 2.8bn on anglo. The insurance started to incur massive losses.
If he hadn't gotten involved in Anglo maybe he could have been worth 4bn today.

This year's budget deficit is north of 12bn. 

The financial collapse that hit Ireland is off the page.

sammymaguire

That lack of transparency has a lot to do with the Government. The whole Quinn/Anglo mess is a total shambles which begins at the core that the people running Anglo were con-men and the were closer to the establishment than SQ was so it might be deemed they have been getting looked after slightly more leniently than SQ throughout this.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

mick999

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20264700

Quinn Group premises in arson attack in Derrylin, Fermanagh ..

Who exactly will this help ?

Rossfan

And who said they paid it back?
Sure isn't that what all the contempt thing is about -them hiding assets so as IBRC won't get their hands on the €455m
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

FermGael

They have 2 cement factories, 2 glass factories, 2 quarries, quinntherm, quinn radiators, quinn block, the slieve russell, all the pubs the family owned in dublin, the belfry, quinn insurance, and alot more i cannot remember of the top of my head. Now how much was all that worth at the time there were taken of the family?
Would it cover £455 million. Yes and there would be a good bit left over.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered