Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

I don't believe the CIC threatened the state. IIRC they just mentioned that could be that possibility especially considering other action taken by people against the Quinn Group previously. You make it sound like the CIC are organising it.

AQMP

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2012, 01:26:27 PM
Is it not a case that he's going to start Jail today but is still appealing? The appeal was to overturn the conditions attached to the appeal. Similarly to the ones which were overturned by the Supreme court for Jr's case.

Maybe...it's all getting confusing!

supersarsfields

Quote from: Tubberman on November 02, 2012, 01:31:12 PM
Ex-billionaire Sean Quinn "has only himself to blame" for a nine-week jail sentence over his role in multimillion-euro asset-stripping activities, a High Court judge declared today.

The bankrupt businessman opted to go straight to prison for his "outrageous" contempt and for failing to untangle a scheme that put the family's €500m international property empire beyond the reach of the former Anglo Irish Bank.

The 66-year-old, who could have remained free until his Supreme Court appeal, was flanked by supporters in the High Court in Dublin, which was packed with barristers, onlookers and media.

Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne told Quinn he had committed a serious contempt of court which had been nothing short of outrageous, he had been evasive and uncooperative during the hearing, and his evidence was not credible.

The judge acknowledged the proceedings had negatively consumed his and his family's life.

"In my view, he has only himself to blame," she added.

The resigned-looking former cement, insurance and property tycoon cried as he held a crumpled tissue in his hand, looking straight ahead with his bloodshot eyes.

Barristers for Quinn, who will be freed on January 4, appealed for compassionate leave to attend a granddaughter's christening on December 23 – but the judge said that was a decision for the Prison Service.

Quinn Snr owes Anglo €2.8bn after running up unprecedented losses through secret stock investments in the bank as its share price collapsed.

The family admit they owe just €455m but have refused the claims on the rest and have taken a counter-case again the bank, rebranded the IBRC (Irish Bank Resolution Corporation), over a loans deal.
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/quinn-has-only-himself-to-blame-as-he-begins-nine-week-jail-term-572722.html

I take it Judge Dunne didn't take the time to explain her previous behaviour to the court? Did she try and explain her ridiculous conditions that she attached to Sean Quinn Jr's case that the Supreme court had to over rule? I'd say she didn't because if she gave the genuine reason she wouldn't be holding court again.

seafoid

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2012, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2012, 12:53:11 PM
Yeah people supporting SQ is all about the jobs. Nothing to do with the fact that they have a genuine case against the actions of[u] Anglo[/u] the  PAYE taxpayer . It's just easier to try and block that out isn't it. Now that's what I call pathetic and embarrassing.

You do realise that what you did there makes no sense. Maybe you should stick with the cutting and pasting.
You do realise that debt can't be vanished away or blamed on D4 and then forgotten about, don't you? Who do you think pays for the 35 bn of losses incurred by Anglo? 

So if Quinn doesn't come up with the 500m that money will have to be taken out of future tax income.   

Any 26 county posters driving insured cars will be paying 2% of their annual insurance premium indefinitely as a silent and involuntary tribute to Sean Quinn's business expertise.

LeoMc

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2012, 01:32:53 PM
I don't believe the CIC threatened the state. IIRC they just mentioned that could be that possibility especially considering other action taken by people against the Quinn Group previously. You make it sound like the CIC are organising it.

As I said before very Paisleyesque. The orange order never threatened the state but "if we don't get walking down the Garvaghey road bad things might happen"

supersarsfields

I'm made the points regarding the Insurance fund on here previously and my opinion of that. Feel free to read back, and sure if you want you can paste it up here.
The losses of anglo will be paid for by the Tax payers. That decision had nothing to do with SQ. Feel free to take that up with your local TD.
The fact that the State had to nationalise Anglo doesn't mean that the Quinns don't have a case against them.

LeoMc

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2012, 01:50:12 PM
I'm made the points regarding the Insurance fund on here previously and my opinion of that. Feel free to read back, and sure if you want you can paste it up here.
The losses of anglo will be paid for by the Tax payers. That decision had nothing to do with SQ. Feel free to take that up with your local TD.
The fact that the State had to nationalise Anglo doesn't mean that the Quinns don't have a case against them.
The Quinns have a case and are perfectly entitled to pursue it, the sooner the better so this whole sorry mess can be aired and cleaned up and the wrongdoers (Seanie Fitz et al) punished. What they are not entitled to do is pre-judge the case and decide they do own the disputed assets and are not giving them back.

seafoid

The State decides, Sars, and that is how the country works.

It's a real pity for Fermanagh and Cavan (and all the taxpayers everywhere else) that the local Gile Mear didn't understand insurance or high level finance but that is the way it was and it's time to move on and stop whining.

supersarsfields

Quote from: LeoMc on November 02, 2012, 01:58:27 PM
The Quinns have a case and are perfectly entitled to pursue it, the sooner the better so this whole sorry mess can be aired and cleaned up and the wrongdoers (Seanie Fitz et al) punished. What they are not entitled to do is pre-judge the case and decide they do own the disputed assets and are not giving them back.

Well they were entitled to protect assets that they had control over as long as they didn't break any laws. So any assets they moved before the injunction were fair game (And that's the majority of them). If Anglo made a move before they had confirmed full security over assets then they should have thought about that before they started. Remember the Quinns haven't be convicted of any criminal charges over the movement of assets. Granted I'll agree they should have stopped when the injunctions came in. But neither would they be under any obligation to make things easy for Anglo in trying to recover the assets, not considering the action anglo have taken against them.
And i would point out neither was Judge Dunne in a  position to demand the actions she did after Sean Jr's contempt cases. So when you are getting judgements like that, I don't blame the Quinns for believeing there is political influence being placed on the Anglo Quinn cases.

supersarsfields

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2012, 02:07:49 PM

It's a real pity for Fermanagh and Cavan (and all the taxpayers everywhere else) that the local Gile Mear didn't understand insurance or high level finance but that is the way it was and it's time to move on and stop whining.

Yes the state decides. It's just a pity the state has a vested interest in which side wins this fight. Doesn't really lend itself to a fair ruling does it.

Tubberman

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2012, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 02, 2012, 01:58:27 PM

Well they were entitled to protect assets that they had control over as long as they didn't break any laws. So any assets they moved before the injunction were fair game (And that's the majority of them). If Anglo made a move before they had confirmed full security over assets then they should have thought about that before they started. Remember the Quinns haven't be convicted of any criminal charges over the movement of assets. Granted I'll agree they should have stopped when the injunctions came in. But neither would they be under any obligation to make things easy for Anglo in trying to recover the assets, not considering the action anglo have taken against them.
And i would point out neither was Judge Dunne in a  position to demand the actions she did after Sean Jr's contempt cases. So when you are getting judgements like that, I don't blame the Quinns for believeing there is political influence being placed on the Anglo Quinn cases.

And who is behind this political influence? The govt call the moves of the justice system?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

supersarsfields

seafoid

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2012, 02:12:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2012, 02:07:49 PM

Yes the state decides. It's just a pity the state has a vested interest in which side wins this fight. Doesn't really lend itself to a fair ruling does it.
In this case the state represents the people. Do you not think enough people have had to emigrate already without the Quinns forcing another 500m onto a bankrupt state ?

supersarsfields

So the rights of the individual goes out the window? Because multiple tax payers may benefit, The Quinns should drop any legitimate issue they had with anglo and just take the hit? Do you seriously believe anyone would do that?

Rossfan

What a pity the fcukin Quinns wouldn't just go and pay their debts and then fcuk off to live off their interest the way all rich chancers do.
For a crowd that's "broke" they seem to be able to hire an awful lot of lawyers.
I'm sick of the whining cnuts and their apologists.
He gambled on a dodgy scheme and lost.
Tough luck ya oul greedy bollx.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM