Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Trileacman

Don't forget to answer my quesion to you.

AQMP

Quote from: trileacman on July 31, 2012, 12:14:51 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 12:07:21 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 12:02:46 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 31, 2012, 11:26:27 AM
The support that Mickey Harte has recieved from fellow GAA people is bound to be of help in his families case. Why should he not be able to show support to another GAA man if he feels he deserves his support. Do I sense another North vs South thing going on here?

In a word, No.  If you read my posts on this subject you will know that I've a bit of sympathy for the postion the Quinns find themselves in.  However they also played a significant role in putting themselves in the position they are now in.  While I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn, he and the rally organisers must have known that this would be protrayed as a "GAA Supports The Quinns" action.  The GAA as an organisation has no role to play in the events surrounding Sean Quinn's business and it would be dangerous, counter productive and detrimental to the association if it tried to find a role to play.  I'm a member of the GAA like SQ but I wouldn't expect or ask my home club to write to the bank manager if I couldn't pay back a loan.

The essence of the mistake that Harte, Burns, Darcy et al are making is that just because you create jobs, it does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you want, and job creation itself should not be considered mitigation if you fall foul of the judicial process...and I'm from the North.

Did you miss this bit trileacman?

Well in fairness Fionntamhnach, the rest of that sentence which you didn't put in bold gives the impression that trileacman is right. It reads as though you believe Harte has the right to support the Quinns, provided he doesn't let anyone know he does (or provided no other people who also happen to be GAA men, happen to support Quinn too).

Exactly to summarise what you said there was "I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn - but actually I do". If you have no qualms with Harte supporting Quinn then what is the rest of your post trying to say? You believe Quinn has a great degree of culpability but how does that relate to Harte, Kernan etc showing support to Quinn?

Er, no.

BTW is it clear what exactly are they "supporting"?

Tubberman

Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 12:21:05 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2012, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 11:11:34 AM
Shock horror, a GAA man supports another GAA man.

Some years back two high enough profile GAA men were jailed for sexually abusing minors.
I don't think too many GAA men rushed to support them.

Remember the man convicted of rape in Listowel 2 years ago and there was queue formed in the court and the Kerry lads all lined up to shake his hand. There was a few "GAA" supporters in that queue.
And you have no problem with that?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

trileacman

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 12:12:41 PM
If it was Mickey Harte on his own, you could say it was in his personal capacity.
If it was Sean Boylan on his own, you could say it was in his personal capacity.
If it was Colm O'Rourke on his own,....
If it was Joe Kernan on his own,....
If it was Sean Kelly on his own,....

If you put them all together and they have one thing in common i.e. prominent GAA figures, are they still a collection of individuals?

So those men are just GAA men and that's all their is to it? Sean Kelly is a politician nowadays not a president so his headline would read FG mep backs Quinn. Should Harte, Kernan have said to themselves "Boylan and O'Rourke are backing Quinn publicly so I shouldn't publicly back him even though I would like to"?

QuoteIf you had the same number of FG/FF/SF TDs coming out in support but saying they were speaking in a personal capacity, do you think that is how it would be perceived in the media and by the general public?

So if a TD felt compelled to support a countryman, a friend or a constituent he should waver in his support because of the way it would be perceived in the media and by the general public? Say for example a TD felt opposed to the bank guarantee or the Corrib gas line or Ireland's involvement in the Congo or Lebanon you believe he should hide his opinions as it would be perceived negatively by the media and general public?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Apologies AQMP and Fionntamhnach for the mix up. Must be cross-eyed this afternoon.

But anyway, I'm just pointing out AQMP, that your claim to have no problem with Harte supporting the Quinn's as an individual is a bit flawed when it seems clear from your quote that your tolerance for such support doesn't extend as far as seeing Harte as much as telling anyone he supports them; or to him supporting them if any other GAA people happen to support them too.

There is nothing to stop any GAA personality speaking out against the Quinn's after all. I can't help but think sometimes people can be very precious about this kind of thing. The GAA will not collapse in the morning if a few people (let's be honest, it's only going to be a tiny naive few) honestly do fully believe that those men were in Ballyconnell on behalf of the GAA.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 12:22:45 PM
Remember the man convicted of rape in Listowel 2 years ago and there was queue formed in the court and the Kerry lads all lined up to shake his hand. There was a few "GAA" supporters in that queue.

I'd like an answer to that question too

trileacman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 31, 2012, 12:22:10 PM
Trileacman

Don't forget to answer my quesion to you.

Do you believe that the GAA men at Quinns rally are entitled to support him?

Same question to the other posters who said something along SS lines.

orangeman

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 12:22:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2012, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 11:11:34 AM
Shock horror, a GAA man supports another GAA man.

Some years back two high enough profile GAA men were jailed for sexually abusing minors.
I don't think too many GAA men rushed to support them.

You serious about that ?

AQMP

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 12:29:03 PM
Apologies AQMP and Fionntamhnach for the mix up. Must be cross-eyed this afternoon.

But anyway, I'm just pointing out AQMP, that your claim to have no problem with Harte supporting the Quinn's as an individual is a bit flawed when it seems clear from your quote that your tolerance for such support doesn't extend as far as seeing Harte as much as telling anyone he supports them; or to him supporting them if any other GAA people happen to support them too.

There is nothing to stop any GAA personality speaking out against the Quinn's after all. I can't help but think sometimes people can be very precious about this kind of thing. The GAA will not collapse in the morning if a few people (let's be honest, it's only going to be a tiny naive few) honestly do fully believe that those men were in Ballyconnell on behalf of the GAA.

Don't worry I've been called a lot worse than Fionntamhnach in my day.

On your second point, I don't see it like that, but we'll agree to differ.  I expect Mickey Harte doesn't give a rattlers what I think anyway!

supersarsfields

Just in the nature of balance here's a nice article with quotes from a GAA person slamming SQ support.

http://www.herald.ie/news/gaa-celebs-slammed-for-backing-quinn-as-4000-turn-out-for-rally-3183936.html

Now I'm a Quinn supporter so I don't agree with his views. But he's entitled to have them. And I don't take it as representative of the GAA that everyone is anti-Quinn just because of his comments.

Nally Stand

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 12:33:05 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 12:29:03 PM

Don't worry I've been called a lot worse than Fionntamhnach in my day.

On your second point, I don't see it like that, but we'll agree to differ.  I expect Mickey Harte doesn't give a rattlers what I think anyway!

Funny you should say, Fionntamhnach just PM'd me to say he's been called a lot of things in his life but if I ever called him AQMP, he'd rip the head off me.  :P Only joking of course lol
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

trileacman

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 12:17:15 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 12:07:21 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 12:02:46 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 31, 2012, 11:26:27 AM
The support that Mickey Harte has recieved from fellow GAA people is bound to be of help in his families case. Why should he not be able to show support to another GAA man if he feels he deserves his support. Do I sense another North vs South thing going on here?

In a word, No.  If you read my posts on this subject you will know that I've a bit of sympathy for the postion the Quinns find themselves in.  However they also played a significant role in putting themselves in the position they are now in.  While I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn, he and the rally organisers must have known that this would be protrayed as a "GAA Supports The Quinns" action.  The GAA as an organisation has no role to play in the events surrounding Sean Quinn's business and it would be dangerous, counter productive and detrimental to the association if it tried to find a role to play.  I'm a member of the GAA like SQ but I wouldn't expect or ask my home club to write to the bank manager if I couldn't pay back a loan.

The essence of the mistake that Harte, Burns, Darcy et al are making is that just because you create jobs, it does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you want, and job creation itself should not be considered mitigation if you fall foul of the judicial process...and I'm from the North.

Did you miss this bit trileacman?

Well in fairness Fionntamhnach, the rest of that sentence which you didn't put in bold gives the impression that trileacman is right. It reads as though you believe Harte has the right to support the Quinns, provided he doesn't let anyone know he does (or provided no other people who also happen to be GAA men, happen to support Quinn too).

That was actually me Nally.  My concern is that in publicity terms the GAA will likely be painted with a pro-Quinn brush (when the association is neither pro nor anti Quinn).  I expect Harte and the rest were there as individuals, but there is a danger that people looking in see "Mickey Harte of the GAA"

Perhaps it will be painted with that brush but what world would you rather live in. One where GAA men are banned from publicly expressing their opinions on Non-GAA matters to protect the image of the GAA or a world where amatuer GAA managers, ex managers and ex players have the freedom to express their opinions.

I don't like GAA men running for FG or SF heavy involvement with Tyrone GAA but at the same time I'd rather have a world where people are free to do that than one where involvement in the GAA restricts your right to express their own opinions.

Shamrock Shore

Hang on Trilecman.

I am not going to answer your question as I have deliberately avoided bringing these GAA names into my comments on Quinn and his shennanigans.

What I want is a retraction from you saying that I am of the opinion that the likes of Mickey Harte et al are not entitled to their opinion. I never said this nor would I.

deiseach

Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 12:31:32 PM
You serious about that ?

You said "Shock horror, a GAA man supports another GAA man", the implication being there was something inherently noble in defending a GAA man. So when those lads queued up to shake Danny Foley's hand, would you have thought it was okay to have claimed they were GAA men supporting another GAA man?

trileacman

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 31, 2012, 12:35:51 PM
Just in the nature of balance here's a nice article with quotes from a GAA person slamming SQ support.

http://www.herald.ie/news/gaa-celebs-slammed-for-backing-quinn-as-4000-turn-out-for-rally-3183936.html

Now I'm a Quinn supporter so I don't agree with his views. But he's entitled to have them. And I don't take it as representative of the GAA that everyone is anti-Quinn just because of his comments.

f**king, West Brit lick-arse dragging the name of the GAA through the gutter.  ;)