Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 11:50:16 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 31, 2012, 11:45:30 AM
So Mickey Harte, Kernan and O'Rourke shouldn't have any opinions or be allowed to express them because they are GAA men, is that the case?

I wonder if these 3 came out in favour of Anglo would you same individuals be as outspoken of the GAA linking itself to the Anglo side?

Or is it just that you disagree with their stance, don't have the balls to say it and so play on their GAA connections as a reason to oppose them showing support for Quinn.

Answer that question before you reply.

1. Absolutely, and probably more so.
2. I disagree with their stance, I have had the balls to say it if you can read, and the stance I'm talking about is them using their positions as prominent GAA figures to support something that the GAA has no business getting involved in.

When did the GAA issue a statement? Did I miss it?

trileacman

So Mickey Harte, Kernan and O'Rourke shouldn't have any opinions or be allowed to express them because they are GAA men, is that the case?

I wonder if these 3 came out in favour of Anglo would you same individuals be as outspoken of the GAA linking itself to the Anglo side?

Or is it just that you disagree with their stance, don't have the balls to say it and so play on their GAA connections as a reason to oppose them showing support for Quinn.

2. I disagree with their stance, I have had the balls to say it if you can read, and the stance I'm talking about is them using their positions as prominent GAA figures to support something that the GAA has no business getting involved in.

And O'Mahoney/ Fitzpatrick/ Geraghty/ Kelly didn't use their position as prominent GAA figures to support something that the GAA has no business getting involved in? What about Galbally's commemorations of the hunger strikers? Or former Antrim hurlers running for the SDLP?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

deiseach

They're entitled to show support for Seán Quinn and I'm entitled to think less of them for doing so

trileacman

Quote from: deiseach on July 31, 2012, 11:55:51 AM
They're entitled to show support for Seán Quinn and I'm entitled to think less of them for doing so

Fair enough but that's different from what alot of posters are saying on here that they are not entitled to show support for Quinn such as Tubberman, Fionntamhnach, AQMP and Shamrock Shore.

AQMP

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 31, 2012, 11:26:27 AM
The support that Mickey Harte has recieved from fellow GAA people is bound to be of help in his families case. Why should he not be able to show support to another GAA man if he feels he deserves his support. Do I sense another North vs South thing going on here?

In a word, No.  If you read my posts on this subject you will know that I've a bit of sympathy for the postion the Quinns find themselves in.  However they also played a significant role in putting themselves in the position they are now in.  While I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn, he and the rally organisers must have known that this would be protrayed as a "GAA Supports The Quinns" action.  The GAA as an organisation has no role to play in the events surrounding Sean Quinn's business and it would be dangerous, counter productive and detrimental to the association if it tried to find a role to play.  I'm a member of the GAA like SQ but I wouldn't expect or ask my home club to write to the bank manager if I couldn't pay back a loan.

The essence of the mistake that Harte, Burns, Darcy et al are making is that just because you create jobs, it does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you want, and job creation itself should not be considered mitigation if you fall foul of the judicial process...and I'm from the North.

Did you miss this bit trileacman?

orangeman

Put it forward as motion to next year's GAA annual congress and make it GAA policy and we can all support the Quinns as one big happy GAA family or not depending on the vote taken.

Nally Stand

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 12:02:46 PM
The support that Mickey Harte has recieved from fellow GAA people is bound to be of help in his families case. Why should he not be able to show support to another GAA man if he feels he deserves his support. Do I sense another North vs South thing going on here?

In a word, No.  If you read my posts on this subject you will know that I've a bit of sympathy for the postion the Quinns find themselves in.  However they also played a significant role in putting themselves in the position they are now in.  While I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn, he and the rally organisers must have known that this would be protrayed as a "GAA Supports The Quinns" action.  The GAA as an organisation has no role to play in the events surrounding Sean Quinn's business and it would be dangerous, counter productive and detrimental to the association if it tried to find a role to play.  I'm a member of the GAA like SQ but I wouldn't expect or ask my home club to write to the bank manager if I couldn't pay back a loan.

The essence of the mistake that Harte, Burns, Darcy et al are making is that just because you create jobs, it does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you want, and job creation itself should not be considered mitigation if you fall foul of the judicial process...and I'm from the North.

Well in fairness Fionntamhnach, the rest of that sentence which you didn't put in bold gives the impression that trileacman is right. It reads as though you believe Harte has the right to support the Quinns, provided he doesn't let anyone know he does (or provided no other people who also happen to be GAA men, happen to support Quinn too).
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tubberman

Quote from: trileacman on July 31, 2012, 11:55:13 AM

And O'Mahoney/ Fitzpatrick/ Geraghty/ Kelly didn't use their position as prominent GAA figures to support something that the GAA has no business getting involved in? What about Galbally's commemorations of the hunger strikers? Or former Antrim hurlers running for the SDLP?

Yes they did. Because they (or their parties) realised a lot of people will vote for them just because they are 'GAA men'. That was a cynical exercise to take advantage of the electorate in Ireland who rarely vote based on things like policy, it's more team based, whether that's GAA teams, or political teams like FG, FF, or SF.
It seems Sean Quinn and his people have realised this too and are following suit.
I don't know anything about Galbally or Antrim hurlers associations with SDLP so won't comment on that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Shamrock Shore

QuoteFair enough but that's different from what alot of posters are saying on here that they are not entitled to show support for Quinn such as Tubberman, Fionntamhnach, AQMP and Shamrock Shore

Likewise point out my post where I have even mentioned the individuals that are now being discussed, let alone say that they are not entitled to show their support.

Rossfan

For the record I DO NOT SUPPORT THE QUINNS in their attempts to avoid paying their debts and saddling me and the plain people of the 26 Counties with paying them.
If they were true Nationalists (rather than a greedy shower of arrogant moneyed pricks) they'd avoid lumping their debts on the taxpayers and that nephew wouldn't be hiding behind the Border to avoid his rightful place behind bars.
I certainly think an awful lot less of O'Rourke/Harte/Boylan/Kernan/Darcy in marching in support of that awful family plus Sean Kelly has gone down a lot in my opinion too for voicing support for them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

If it was Mickey Harte on his own, you could say it was in his personal capacity.
If it was Sean Boylan on his own, you could say it was in his personal capacity.
If it was Colm O'Rourke on his own,....
If it was Joe Kernan on his own,....
If it was Sean Kelly on his own,....

If you put them all together and they have one thing in common i.e. prominent GAA figures, are they still a collection of individuals?

If you had the same number of FG/FF/SF TDs coming out in support but saying they were speaking in a personal capacity, do you think that is how it would be perceived in the media and by the general public?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 11:11:34 AM
Shock horror, a GAA man supports another GAA man.

Some years back two high enough profile GAA men were jailed for sexually abusing minors.
I don't think too many GAA men rushed to support them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trileacman

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Well in fairness Fionntamhnach, the rest of that sentence which you didn't put in bold gives the impression that trileacman is right. It reads as though you believe Harte has the right to support the Quinns, provided he doesn't let anyone know he does (or provided no other people who also happen to be GAA men, happen to support Quinn too).

Exactly to summarise what you said there was "I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn - but actually I do". If you have no qualms with Harte supporting Quinn then what is the rest of your post trying to say? You believe Quinn has a great degree of culpability but how does that relate to Harte, Kernan etc showing support to Quinn?

AQMP

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

That was actually me Nally.  My concern is that in publicity terms the GAA will likely be painted with a pro-Quinn brush (when the association is neither pro nor anti Quinn).  I expect Harte and the rest were there as individuals, but there is a danger that people looking in see "Mickey Harte of the GAA"

orangeman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2012, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 11:11:34 AM
Shock horror, a GAA man supports another GAA man.

Some years back two high enough profile GAA men were jailed for sexually abusing minors.
I don't think too many GAA men rushed to support them.

Remember the man convicted of rape in Listowel 2 years ago and there was queue formed in the court and the Kerry lads all lined up to shake his hand. There was a few "GAA" supporters in that queue.