Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 31, 2012, 10:44:47 AM
It's a fair leap back from all GAA clubs to majority of clubs in Ulster.

Did our club support Crossmaglen's cause - of course they did. It was official GAA policy at the time to oppose the takeover by the British Army and I agreed with that stance.

I just object to paint brush comments here saying all GAA clubs marched in support of hunger strikers. I would even doubt that the majority of clubs in Ulster (I assume that this takes in Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal) did so - but if someone want to correct me with even the third cousin, once removed, of a fact then I will take their word for it.

Fair enough. Probably it was too much of a paint brush comment. But it's heartening to hear that your club supported the Crossmaglen cause.

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 31, 2012, 10:52:36 AM
Quote from: Declan on July 31, 2012, 08:17:47 AM
Support for shameless Quinn is misplaced

FINTAN O'TOOLE

I stopped reading when I got to that bit.
Nothing like keeping a closed mind closed
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

I'll give Seán Kelly this much. He's the only one big enough to publicly justify his decision to go to the rally.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2012, 11:00:24 AM

FINTAN O'TOOLE

Nothing like keeping a closed mind closed

A closed mind? If not wanting to waste my time reading the opinions of self important, arrogant, clueless liars and shite peddlers like Fintan O'Toole then guilty as charged I suppose.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

orangeman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 31, 2012, 11:00:07 AM
We're now comparing Sean Quinn & associates to the Irish Republican Hunger Strikers?

Jesus fuckin wept!

Some posters can't understand how GAA and GAA figures would rally to support Sean Quinn.

Plenty of GAA people and GAA clubs rallied to support different causes, different people and personalities whether formally or informally and this will continue to happen.

No bog deal who supports Quinn or anybody else. People will feel empathy towards different people, different causes.

It's surprises me that some posters feel surprised that the likes of Mickey Harte etc should support Sean Quinn, another GAA man.

Shock horror, a GAA man supports another GAA man. What next ?.

Hardy

orangeman

EC Unique

The support that Mickey Harte has recieved from fellow GAA people is bound to be of help in his families case. Why should he not be able to show support to another GAA man if he feels he deserves his support. Do I sense another North vs South thing going on here?

Tubberman

Quote from: EC Unique on July 31, 2012, 11:26:27 AM
The support that Mickey Harte has recieved from fellow GAA people is bound to be of help in his families case. Why should he not be able to show support to another GAA man if he feels he deserves his support. Do I sense another North vs South thing going on here?

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

sammymaguire

FINTAN O'TOOLE

It is a case of FINTAN - OH TOOLBAG? with that D4-esque Anglophile prat.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

AQMP

In a word, No.  If you read my posts on this subject you will know that I've a bit of sympathy for the postion the Quinns find themselves in.  However they also played a significant role in putting themselves in the position they are now in.  While I've no problem with Mickey Harte as an individual supporting Sean Quinn, he and the rally organisers must have known that this would be protrayed as a "GAA Supports The Quinns" action.  The GAA as an organisation has no role to play in the events surrounding Sean Quinn's business and it would be dangerous, counter productive and detrimental to the association if it tried to find a role to play.  I'm a member of the GAA like SQ but I wouldn't expect or ask my home club to write to the bank manager if I couldn't pay back a loan.

The essence of the mistake that Harte, Burns, Darcy et al are making is that just because you create jobs, it does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you want, and job creation itself should not be considered mitigation if you fall foul of the judicial process...and I'm from the North.

trileacman

So Mickey Harte, Kernan and O'Rourke shouldn't have any opinions or be allowed to express them because they are GAA men, is that the case?

I wonder if these 3 came out in favour of Anglo would you same individuals be as outspoken of the GAA linking itself to the Anglo side?

Or is it just that you disagree with their stance, don't have the balls to say it and so play on their GAA connections as a reason to oppose them showing support for Quinn.

Answer that question before you reply.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Shamrock Shore

I am no fan of Fintan O'Toole. He's as wet and windy as they come.

But, for pig iron's sake, read the article (even if it pains) and pick out where he has got his facts wrong.

trileacman

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2012, 11:40:17 AM

The GAA as an organisation has no role to play in the events surrounding Sean Quinn's business and it would be dangerous, counter productive and detrimental to the association if it tried to find a role to play.

Since when did the GAA issue any statement of support for Quinn? This is an action by a few individual GAA members, what do you want them to do? have no opinions except with the one you want them to have? Where you as equally upset when Sean Kelly/John O'Mahoney/ Peter Fitzpatrick declared they were running for FG? How is that any different to the current situation?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tubberman

Quote from: trileacman on July 31, 2012, 11:45:30 AM
So Mickey Harte, Kernan and O'Rourke shouldn't have any opinions or be allowed to express them because they are GAA men, is that the case?

I wonder if these 3 came out in favour of Anglo would you same individuals be as outspoken of the GAA linking itself to the Anglo side?

Or is it just that you disagree with their stance, don't have the balls to say it and so play on their GAA connections as a reason to oppose them showing support for Quinn.

Answer that question before you reply.

1. Absolutely, and probably more so.
2. I disagree with their stance, I have had the balls to say it if you can read, and the stance I'm talking about is them using their positions as prominent GAA figures to support something that the GAA has no business getting involved in.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."