Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 31, 2012, 09:00:17 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 07:44:48 AM
Fine Gael MEP  and former GAA  president Sean Kelly has now offered his support to the Quinn campaign. It doesn't reflect well on the GAA to be linked with this IMO.

How does it reflect on Fine Gael?

Not particularly well, but you'd have to think this is coming from "Sean Kelly former GAA president", rather than "Sean Kelly Fine Gael MEP".

Why?

My initial reaction was that this was a sitting MEP for FG and he was speaking from his current public office. Is it FG policy to support Sean Quinn?

Tubberman

Quote from: johnneycool on July 31, 2012, 09:34:15 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 31, 2012, 09:00:17 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 07:44:48 AM
Fine Gael MEP  and former GAA  president Sean Kelly has now offered his support to the Quinn campaign. It doesn't reflect well on the GAA to be linked with this IMO.

How does it reflect on Fine Gael?

Not particularly well, but you'd have to think this is coming from "Sean Kelly former GAA president", rather than "Sean Kelly Fine Gael MEP".

Why?

My initial reaction was that this was a sitting MEP for FG and he was speaking from his current public office. Is it FG policy to support Sean Quinn?

I doubt FG have a policy on Sean Quinn ;)
But other FG TDs have "distanced themselves" from Sean Kelly's comments - I would say the majority within FG wouldn't agree with Sean Kelly but I have no idea to be honest.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

johnneycool

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 31, 2012, 09:32:32 AM
I'd say it's coming from Sean Kelly, the individual. The people who were speaking the last night were not speaking on behalf of the GAA, nor is Sean Kelly I would imagine. Personally I think it reflects well on them, that they are prepared to go on record to support the Quinns. But I can understand why you would think otherwise. I suppose it depends what way you view the whole process.

Totally agree with you and was just being a bit of a bollox with Tubberman to make my point that these individuals were speaking from a personal point of view and in no way represent the GAA, just as Seany Kelly in no way was representing FG or the GAA.

The GAA may have given these people a public profile, but that's it.

orangeman

Time was every GAA club were going on marches in support of the hunger strikers.

What was this about ?.

Club delegations were being sent to Crossmaglen in support of Crossmaglen club and protesting about the occupation of Cross's pitch by the Brits.

What was that about ?.

Tubberman

Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2012, 10:07:43 AM
Time was every GAA club were going on marches in support of the hunger strikers.

What was this about ?.

Club delegations were being sent to Crossmaglen in support of Crossmaglen club and protesting about the occupation of Cross's pitch by the Brits.

What was that about ?.

Can you explain how either of those are in any way comparable to Sean Quinn's case?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

That never happened.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteTime was every GAA club were going on marches in support of the hunger strikers.

Orangeman - can you let me know when my club, Mostrim in Co. Longford, went on a march in support of the hunger strikers.

I don't need the exact day - the month will be sufficient. The route it took would be helpful to me also.

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on July 31, 2012, 10:19:52 AM

That never happened.

Alright then - not every GAA club but certainly those in the North did. You lads were happy enough to let us at it.  ;)

glens abu

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 31, 2012, 10:24:12 AM
QuoteTime was every GAA club were going on marches in support of the hunger strikers.

Orangeman - can you let me know when my club, Mostrim in Co. Longford, went on a march in support of the hunger strikers.

I don't need the exact day - the month will be sufficient. The route it took would be helpful to me also.

Don't be a dick,you know he meant the majority of clubs in Ulster.

orangeman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 31, 2012, 10:24:12 AM

Did you or your club support Crossmaglen's cause back in the day ?

AQMP

Quote from: Hardy on July 31, 2012, 10:19:52 AM

That never happened.

Traitors!!

Hound

Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2012, 07:07:30 AM
Sorry that should have read riches to rags.Seriously,I'm astounded the likes of Mickey Harte,Sean Boylan and Colm O'Rourke lent their support to this charade.

The support has me totally bemused. Joe Kernan too. And of course they are doing it as individuals, but in the full knowledge that being big GAA personalties it will be highlighted in the media.

But I believe the reservoir dubs have something big planned for the Hill on Saturday to get things warmed up - working on a banner

"Jail Quinn....the big culchie"
:D

Hardy

Shamrock Shore

It's a fair leap back from all GAA clubs to majority of clubs in Ulster.

Did our club support Crossmaglen's cause - of course they did. It was official GAA policy at the time to oppose the takeover by the British Army and I agreed with that stance.

I just object to paint brush comments here saying all GAA clubs marched in support of hunger strikers. I would even doubt that the majority of clubs in Ulster (I assume that this takes in Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal) did so - but if someone want to correct me with even the third cousin, once removed, of a fact then I will take their word for it.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Declan on July 31, 2012, 08:17:47 AM
Support for shameless Quinn is misplaced

FINTAN O'TOOLE

I stopped reading when I got to that bit.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore