Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 04:57:18 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on July 30, 2012, 03:59:43 PM
I've answered that already. Do you think the government can pick and choose what they want with regards to the bank guarantee?
It is too late to moan about the guarantee. The horse has left the stables. Should every poster resident in Ireland have to chip in? Do you think that is fair?

It is the government that bought a f**king nightmare and these liabilites, noone else. And they say you get the representatives you deserve, so aye. You know what to do at the next election then, thats the point of them.

Tubberman

Quote from: haranguerer on July 30, 2012, 07:53:33 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 04:57:18 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on July 30, 2012, 03:59:43 PM
I've answered that already. Do you think the government can pick and choose what they want with regards to the bank guarantee?
It is too late to moan about the guarantee. The horse has left the stables. Should every poster resident in Ireland have to chip in? Do you think that is fair?

It is the government that bought a f**king nightmare and these liabilites, noone else. And they say you get the representatives you deserve, so aye. You know what to do at the next election then, thats the point of them.

That's what the last election was for. It wasn't this govt that introduced the bank guarantee.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

firestarter

As far as I can see the Pro SQ lobby believe that he was duped into investing in Anglo. If this is the case then those con men responsible should be brought to justice. But what then of quinn? Do they suggest that his own illegal actions since should be pardoned and he should be allowed to keep the millions he owes to the irish taxpayer? I would like Father Brian Darcey, Mickey Harte etc.. to answer that.

supersarsfields

Sean Quinn should be punished for whatever his involvment is. I don't think anyone has said any other. But the point would be that if ( Again this is if) they win they're cases, they won't owe the taxpayer.

Not sure what answer MH and Fr D'arcy would give tho.

saffron sam2

I'm not sure why a bankrupt businessman and another who reckons there are no legitimate businesses in Culloville are considered appropriate to appear as part of the Quinn support regime.

Nor do I like the overt linking of the GAA to the Quinn corner.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

trileacman

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 30, 2012, 10:55:59 PM
I'm not sure why a bankrupt businessman and another who reckons there are no legitimate businesses in Culloville are considered appropriate to appear as part of the Quinn support regime.

Nor do I like the overt linking of the GAA to the Quinn corner.

How is it overt?

His brother was a GAA president and he strikes a cord with a lot of the working class in the border region, so he is going to draw support from people involved in the GAA. Where you opposed to John O'Mahoney/ Peter Fitz running for the Dail whilst still managers? Plenty of GAA men have thrown their weight behind political and social movements down through the years, why do you feel aggrieved by this situation?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

T Fearon

Quinn is a lot like Rangers FC.Both have gone from rags to riches as a result of shady practices,and both drew a large crowd of eejits to a small town last Sunday.

T Fearon

Sorry that should have read riches to rags.Seriously,I'm astounded the likes of Mickey Harte,Sean Boylan and Colm O'Rourke lent their support to this charade.

Tubberman

Fine Gael MEP  and former GAA  president Sean Kelly has now offered his support to the Quinn campaign. It doesn't reflect well on the GAA to be linked with this IMO.

Declan

Support for shameless Quinn is misplaced

FINTAN O'TOOLE

TAKE ALL the money raised this year by the cuts in child benefit. And from cutting the school clothing and footwear allowance. And all the cuts to jobseekers' benefit, rent supplement and fuel allowances for the elderly.

Throw in the restriction of one-parent family allowance to children under seven. Pile on all the cuts in back-to-education allowances and community employment schemes. Take all of that money from the pockets of the poorest people in Ireland this year and you still haven't reached the amount Seán Quinn agrees he owes the Irish taxpayer.

This is nothing to do with the €2.3 billion he borrowed from Anglo Irish Bank to buy its shares. This is the €455 million he borrowed to buy property – using that property as security. In all the noise and distraction, this much is undisputed: Quinn borrowed the money and put up the property assets as collateral. The State, however idiotically, took over that loan. Since Quinn can't pay it back, the Irish people now own those properties.

There is something else that is not in dispute: that Quinn is openly, flagrantly and quite proudly trying to hang on to this money that belongs to us. As he said on Sunday, he took a "very conscious decision" to do "everything in our power to take as many assets as we could". The basic intention is very simple – to transfer assets from the Irish people to the Quinn family.

Thus, for example, the status of Karen Woods, a part-time receptionist with Joe Duffy Motors in north Dublin, as recipient of one of the largest public salaries in Ireland. The lucky Karen, then the girlfriend (now the wife) of Seán Quinn jnr, was paid €320,297 after tax (the equivalent of at least €400,000) last year by a Russian company whose assets belong entirely to the Irish people.

This is more than twice what the Taoiseach is paid, with the added refinement that there is no evidence of what work Woods does in return for this salary. Every cent she got, and every euro of the €455 million, is money kept from a State that is, for example, struggling to provide services for young people with intellectual disabilities.

At the same time, but completely separately, every Irish person or business who takes out home, motor or commercial insurance is having to pay the price, quite literally, for Seán Quinn's mismanagement of his insurance business.

For at least the next 12 years, every time any of us takes out insurance, we will have to pay an extra 2 per cent to recoup the approximately €1.1 billion Quinn lost in his gamble on Quinn Insurance. Thus, even when we leave aside entirely the €2.3 billion Anglo loan, Quinn's actions are siphoning €1.5 billion from Irish taxpayers, consumers and businesses.

All of this is easy enough to understand. It is underpinned by one of the oldest of human desires, the lure of other people's money – in this case ours.

What's more difficult to fathom is the collusion of many respectable people in what Quinn is doing. His shamelessness is made possible by those who tell him that he has nothing to be ashamed of, that, on the contrary, he is the victim in all of this.

Why would 4,000 people turn out in Ballyconnell, Co Cavan, the other night to demand "justice" for the Quinns – though evidently not the kind of justice that would be meted out to someone who deprived the State of €4,550 instead of €455 million?

Why, for example, has Sinn Féin, supposed friend of the downtrodden, expressed its sympathy for Quinn (MP Michelle Gildernew tweeted her support)? Does it see no connection at all between his stripping of public assets and, for example, Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin's complaints about cuts at Cavan General Hospital? How can Sinn Féin demand, as it does, that no one should be paid more than €100,000 a year from public funds while apparently being content for the public to pay Karen Woods four times that?

Fr Brian D'Arcy, who is supposed to be in the morality business, addressed the Ballyconnell rally and essentially credited Quinn with the creation of peace in our time: "He brought peace to the country by creating thousands of jobs."

Senior GAA figures such as Mickey Harte, Jarlath Burns, Seán Boylan and Colm O'Rourke threw that organisation's considerable authority behind Quinn's outright defiance of the courts and determination to hang on to public money. Thus, a formidable if unofficial nexus of Sinn Féin, the GAA and the church is giving Quinn comfort.

This desire to kiss the rod inflicting the pain is surely rooted in something older than the current fad for designer masochism – some twisted notion of ethnic and religious solidarity in which Quinn has to be protected because he's one of us – a Catholic, nationalist, GAA man.

It can't be imagined that our oppressors might go to Mass, wear open-necked shirts and support the GAA. But what can't be imagined either are the silent victims in all of this – the poor who pay for their master's gambles

sammymaguire

Quote from: Tubberman on July 31, 2012, 07:44:48 AM
Fine Gael MEP  and former GAA  president Sean Kelly has now offered his support to the Quinn campaign. It doesn't reflect well on the GAA to be linked with this IMO.

fcuk me, is no-one allowed to make a mistake in this god forsaken country?? Some of the comments from the detractors on this is stomach churningly sickening. The man got caught up in shady banking practices, offered to rectify the mess, was rebuked and the witch hunt began.

Those well known figures who support the Quinn debacle are well within their rights to do so and it's a credit to them to publicly show their support.

It's very clear to many people that the Quinn Group has not had a fair hearing and not been dealt with in a fair manner as there have been too many questions still left unanswered yet their are being called in front of the Irish courts and being treated like public enemy no. 1  >:(
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

johnneycool

How does it reflect on Fine Gael?

Tubberman

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 31, 2012, 08:59:53 AM

fcuk me, is no-one allowed to make a mistake in this god forsaken country?? Some of the comments from the detractors on this is stomach churningly sickening. The man got caught up in shady banking practices, offered to rectify the mess, was rebuked and the witch hunt began.

Those well known figures who support the Quinn debacle are well within their rights to do so and it's a credit to them to publicly show their support.

It's very clear to many people that the Quinn Group has not had a fair hearing and not been dealt with in a fair manner as there have been too many questions still left unanswered yet their are being called in front of the Irish courts and being treated like public enemy no. 1  >:(

The reason I don't think it reflects well on the GAA is because I don't think these people are supporting Quinn out of support for his banking/shares/CFD practices. They're supporting him because of his and his families ties to the GAA. It makes the GAA look parochial, insular and all about protecting "our own".
Maybe that's what the GAA is, and I just haven't seen it displayed this publicly before....

Tubberman

Quote from: johnneycool on July 31, 2012, 09:00:17 AM

How does it reflect on Fine Gael?

Not particularly well, but you'd have to think this is coming from "Sean Kelly former GAA president", rather than "Sean Kelly Fine Gael MEP".

supersarsfields

I'd say it's coming from Sean Kelly, the individual. The people who were speaking the last night were not speaking on behalf of the GAA, nor is Sean Kelly I would imagine. Personally I think it reflects well on them, that they are prepared to go on record to support the Quinns. But I can understand why you would think otherwise. I suppose it depends what way you view the whole process.