Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2012, 01:39:09 AM
QuotePeople like sean Quinn got Croke park built. Now we hang them

Quinn did great work. But he subsequently lost the plot and I don't see why the rest of us should take the hit because of a loan that he freely entered into himself, for the purpose for making himself even richer.
Croke park was a huge risk too.  Thank god it paid off and the gaa profiteered from it. Could you imagine a business man taking a gamble.  They have to, it's their nature.

Tubberman

Quote from: rrhf on July 27, 2012, 08:22:06 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2012, 01:39:09 AM
QuotePeople like sean Quinn got Croke park built. Now we hang them

Quinn did great work. But he subsequently lost the plot and I don't see why the rest of us should take the hit because of a loan that he freely entered into himself, for the purpose for making himself even richer.
Croke park was a huge risk too.  Thank god it paid off and the gaa profiteered from it. Could you imagine a business man taking a gamble.  They have to, it's their nature.

And should they pay when their gamble doesn't pay off, or should we pick up the tab cos they were such great mavericks?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

supersarsfields

That decision wasn't made by the Quinns. Should the Quinns drop any grievances they have just because the State made the decision on the bank guarantee?

Tubberman

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 27, 2012, 09:10:33 AM
That decision wasn't made by the Quinns. Should the Quinns drop any grievances they have just because the State made the decision on the bank guarantee?

They can have as many grievances as they like as long as they act within the law.

supersarsfields

Or alternatively Anglo broke the law so they should be stopped from reaping the benefits from it?

Tubberman

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 27, 2012, 09:40:48 AM
Or alternatively Anglo broke the law so they should be stopped from reaping the benefits from it?

They're not mutually exclusive. If Anglo broke the law, it doesn't mean SQ can't have.

supersarsfields

Of course not. But it's a bit rich only punishing one side of it just because it may cost the state if they decide to punish the other. Nobody's claiming that SQ shouldn't get punished for anything. The claim is Anglo should also be punished regardless of whether it benefits the Quinns. That isn't the case at the minute. 

Tubberman

Were 3 of the Anglo bosses charged with 16 offences in the past week?
I know it's taken far too long, but it looks like something is happening finally.

deiseach

Quote from: Declan on July 27, 2012, 08:28:22 AM
Mr Water's take on it

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0727/1224320884392.html

The comments on the article speak volumes. It seems Quinn's fate was 'inevitable'. I never realised John Waters was a Calvinist.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Tubberman on July 27, 2012, 10:41:06 AM
I know it's taken far too long, but it looks like something is happening finally.

They did but they haven't taken any action against Anglo regarding the loans or do they seem to be intent to do so. They are happy to continue to allow Anglo to enforce illegal loans without taking action to see whether these should be enforced or not.
Thankfully they have started moving against the individuals involved in Anglo, and from the sound of it, it would seem to have strengthen the Quinns large cases which are running next year.

orangeman

Businessman Seán Quinn has said "a very conscious decision" had been made to put assets beyond the reach of the IBRC, formerly Anglo Irish Bank, despite receiving advice to the contrary.

Seán Quinn said he would go to prison if he had to.

Speaking on Shannonside Northern Sound Radio with his daughter Colette, Mr Quinn said he still feels that it was the right thing to do.

"I'm not the easiest man to advise. We took it on ourselves to do it and we felt that it was the right thing to do, and we still feel that it was the right thing to have done.

"Unfortunately, it's turned out very badly, and unfortunately it's ended up in prison."

Mr Quinn said he had thought at the time that they were retaining their assets and that the IBRC were moving in on those assets illegally.

However, he said that the courts obviously did not agree with that position, but the Quinn family are appealing the court's decision.

Mr Quinn described it as an extraordinary situation that Seán Quinn Jnr is now in prison, but said that his son was coping well.

He said that his nephew Peter Darragh Quinn, for whom there is an outstanding warrant, had done everything in his power to resolve the issue.

Seán Quinn added that he was never one to run away from trouble or to "jump on an aeroplane and head away to some foreign country", but would continue to fight his corner and try to redeem his reputation in some way.

He added that if he had to go to jail, he would.

He said that a lot of the media had fallen "hook line and sinker for the Anglo story, that Quinn is the bad boy and they are the good guys".

Speaking on the same programme, Colette Quinn said that the media attention around the living expenses of Quinn family members was "about nothing".

Ms Quinn said that the amount of €8,000 a month in living expenses family members had been awarded previously was not set at their request, but was decided by the court.

He said they were not requesting €8,000 a month on this occasion either.

tyronefan

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 27, 2012, 11:45:09 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 27, 2012, 10:41:06 AM

They did but they haven't taken any action against Anglo regarding the loans or do they seem to be intent to do so. They are happy to continue to allow Anglo to enforce illegal loans without taking action to see whether these should be enforced or not.
Thankfully they have started moving against the individuals involved in Anglo, and from the sound of it, it would seem to have strengthen the Quinns large cases which are running next year.

Quinn says they are illegal and Anglo says they are legal. Is this case not before the courts. As of yet we have no decision wether they are legal or not

supersarsfields

Do you believe there is even a smidgen of doubt that the loans were illegal? If you do then your the first person I've spoken to who does. Even the most ardent of Quinn haters would accept that the loans were issued for share support. And I'd imagine the fact that it's taken the courts three years to compile the evidence for full criminal charges, they obviously believe there's a case to be answered.

And if there is, why should they be allowed to enforce these loans before a decision is made over whether they are legal or not. It's arse about face.

Tubberman

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 27, 2012, 02:01:58 PM
Do you believe there is even a smidgen of doubt that the loans were illegal? If you do then your the first person I've spoken to who does. Even the most ardent of Quinn haters would accept that the loans were issued for share support. And I'd imagine the fact that it's taken the courts three years to compile the evidence for full criminal charges, they obviously believe there's a case to be answered.

And if there is, why should they be allowed to enforce these loans before a decision is made over whether they are legal or not. It's arse about face.

So if the loans are found to have been illegal, who should be liable for them?