Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteI think that's the club justifying their statement, stripping it down to the bare bones, almost child like and there for effect only, like why are they punishing an innocent man?

Quinn is not innocent. He borrowed money, he hasn't paid it back, he has concealed resources that could have been used to pay it back.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sammymaguire

Quote from: armaghniac on July 25, 2012, 05:43:46 PM
QuoteI think that's the club justifying their statement, stripping it down to the bare bones, almost child like and there for effect only, like why are they punishing an innocent man?

Quinn is not innocent. He borrowed money, he hasn't paid it back, he has concealed resources that could have been used to pay it back.

I think we all know its complicated.

Some people may feel these points are irrelevant, but they are not.

Did the Quinn family have a history of brushes with the law or authorities in any shapre or fashion prior to c2008?? Did they pay their taxes in full? Did they employ thousands of people, not only in the border counties but throughout the whole of Ireland? Did they ever pump any money into Fianna Fail or Fianna Gael? Did they ever fcuk anyone over??

You think its a good idea for the Quinn family to hand over everything now and then potentially end up being proved right (slim I know) and expect to get everything back again? Why the fcuk should he gave what he owns to a body that has shafted him, regardless of the fact it was private then and is public now? The family initially attempted to put right what had gone wrong, made legitimate proposals and they got 2 fingers and were told to hand everything over. I think they are now fed up of taking it up the arse from the IBRC and now want resolution on many matters before they comply with every demand. And right they are too.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

orangeman

A judge in Dublin has said the Quinn family had operated a scheme of mesmeric complexity which "reeked of dishonesty and sharp practice".

Commercial Court Judge Peter Kelly extended orders freezing the assets of the children of Fermanagh businessman Sean Quinn.

He also did so for two of his sons-in-law Stephen Kelly and Niall McPartland.

The Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC), formerly Anglo Irish Bank, had been seeking the freezing orders.

It also wants to appoint receivers to their assets. The bank has taken the case over 2.8bn euros in loans it says are owed by the Quinns.

Mr Justice Kelly said he regrettably had to deal more and more often with fraud on a national and international level as well as sharp practice, dishonesty and chicanery.

But he said he had never seen such conduct on the scale demonstrated by Mr Quinn and his family or the deviousness with which the scheme to put assets beyond the reach of the IBRC had operated.

The judge also appointed receivers to the Quinn children's assets and those of Mr Kelly and Mr McPartland with the exception of certain bank accounts, some future earnings and family homes.

He granted disclosure orders sought against them, Sean Quinn Snr and a number of companies.

The judge also froze the assets of Sean Quinn Jnr's wife, Karen Woods, who the court heard has received more than 320,000 euros from Russian companies since April last year.

He will hear applications by the Quinn children for living expenses as well as an application by lawyers for Peter Darragh Quinn to be allowed to stop representing him, next Tuesday.

The Quinn children had each been previously granted living expenses of 2,000 euros a week.

Earlier, senior counsel for the IBRC Paul Gallagher said the bank was still concerned that it did not know what had happened to 2.8m euros paid to members of the Quinn family and their partners by Russian companies since April last year.

The Quinns' senior counsel, Bill Shipsey, said his clients were consenting to very extensive disclosure orders and they would have to disclose all their assets and accounts.

Mr Quinn avoided jail for contempt of court last Friday, but was told he must co-operate within three months with the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, formerly Anglo Irish Bank.

His son, Sean Jnr, and Peter Darragh Quinn were sentenced to prison.

Sean Quinn Jnr began his sentence immediately and will serve out the remainder in the training unit of Mountjoy prison, a semi-open low security facility.

A warrant was issued for Peter Darragh Quinn's arrest after he failed to appear for sentencing.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2012, 06:09:48 PM

Did the Quinn family have a history of brushes with the law or authorities in any shapre or fashion prior to c2008?? Did they pay their taxes in full? Did they employ thousands of people, not only in the border counties but throughout the whole of Ireland? Did they ever pump any money into Fianna Fail or Fianna Gael? Did they ever fcuk anyone over??

You think its a good idea for the Quinn family to hand over everything now and then potentially end up being proved right (slim I know) and expect to get everything back again? Why the fcuk should he gave what he owns to a body that has shafted him, regardless of the fact it was private then and is public now? The family initially attempted to put right what had gone wrong, made legitimate proposals and they got 2 fingers and were told to hand everything over. I think they are now fed up of taking it up the arse from the IBRC and now want resolution on many matters before they comply with every demand. And right they are too.
Getting a bit sick of people using the fact Sean Quinn employed people in the border area as a reason why he shouldnt be pursued. Pimps and drug dealers are employers, should we worry about the economic impact of locking them up too?

drici

Quote from: orangeman on July 25, 2012, 07:04:16 PM

Commercial Court Judge Peter Kelly extended orders freezing the assets of the children of Fermanagh businessman Sean Quinn.

He also did so for two of his sons-in-law Stephen Kelly and Niall McPartland.

Peter Kelly's daughters must have been complaining to their Da about the husbands.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 25, 2012, 07:07:56 PM

Getting a bit sick of people using the fact Sean Quinn employed people in the border area as a reason why he shouldnt be pursued. Pimps and drug dealers are employers, should we worry about the economic impact of locking them up too?

I know. It's equally annoying hearing that SQ owes 2.8Billion when he doesn't.

sammymaguire

What taxes do pimps pay Tony? Nonsense point. Desperate times call for desperate measures...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2012, 07:22:31 PM
What taxes do pimps pay Tony? Nonsense point. Desperate times call for desperate measures...
So employers that pay tax are above the law? Good man for clearing that up.  ::)

supersarsfields

Tony you're kinda ignoring all the other points as to why the loans shouldn't be enforced. And it's got nothing to do with the jobs SQ created.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 25, 2012, 07:28:48 PM
Tony you're kinda ignoring all the other points as to why the loans shouldn't be enforced. And it's got nothing to do with the jobs SQ created.
You're right, I am ignoring those points. I am interested in why nearly everyone defending him thinks employing 100s of people has anything to do with the charges against him. I have no doubt he is in some way beimg scapegoated but he is not without sin either.

supersarsfields

Well at least you admit you are ignoring all the other points. There's others here doing the same but wouldn't be so open about it.

tyronefan

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 25, 2012, 07:22:02 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 25, 2012, 07:07:56 PM

I know. It's equally annoying hearing that SQ owes 2.8Billion when he doesn't.

How do you know how much he owes???

supersarsfields

tyronefan

actually you didnt. You just agreed with me that the amount owed is in dispute 

supersarsfields

But I pointed out the top line is 2.8 Billion as stated by Anglo. I agree that the actual figure is in dispute. It's a lot less now I would imagine considering the assets that have been recovered. And that's before taking into account whether the loans are illegal or not.