Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Former Anglo Irish Bank chairman and chief executive Seán Fitzpatrick has been charged with 16 offences as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged fraud at the bank.

Mr Fitzpatrick was arrested at 5.35am at Dublin Airport after arriving on a flight and was taken to Bridewell Garda Station.

He later appeared at Dublin District Court to face the multiple charges.

Officers from the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation and the Director of Corporate Enforcement, who are in charge of the investigation, are also due before a Presiding Judge at the Commercial Court this morning to report progress in the investigation.

Yesterday, two former senior executives at Anglo Irish Bank were charged as part of the Garda investigation.

Former finance director Willie McAteer and former managing director for Ireland Patrick Whelan were both charged with 16 offences under the Companies Act.

They are accused of permitting Anglo Irish Bank to give financial assistance to Patricia Quinn, her five children and ten senior clients of the bank, who became known as the 'Maple Ten', to enable the 16 to buy shares in the bank.

Both men were remanded on bail to appear again in Dublin District Court on 8 October for service of the book of evidence.

The joint investigation into alleged irregularities at Anglo Irish Bank has been ongoing for the past three-and-a-half years.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

NAG1

Good to see the poor down trodden Quinns getting the support of Teemore Shamrocks Co Fermanagh. Why does a GAA club feel the need to release a statement commenting on matters of the courts and judicial system?

glens abu

Quote from: NAG1 on July 25, 2012, 01:17:00 PM
Good to see the poor down trodden Quinns getting the support of Teemore Shamrocks Co Fermanagh. Why does a GAA club feel the need to release a statement commenting on matters of the courts and judicial system?

Some people just like to show their support and loyalty to people who have sponsored and supported them over many years.You got a problem with that?

Franko

They are commenting on the sentencing to jail of two of their club members. ::)

NAG1

Quote from: glens abu on July 25, 2012, 01:23:54 PM

Some people just like to show their support and loyalty to people who have sponsored and supported them over many years.You got a problem with that?

Yeah I do actually, they were deemed to have done wrong in the eyes of the court and judicial system and are serving a jail term for that. I dont see it gives the club any right to issue statements in support of them. If they had broken the law of the land in a more serious way, would the club be out supporting them, dont think so. Therefore I find it in bad taste that they issued a statement at all.

sammymaguire

Quote from: NAG1 on July 25, 2012, 01:36:24 PM

Yeah I do actually, they were deemed to have done wrong in the eyes of the court and judicial system and are serving a jail term for that. I dont see it gives the club any right to issue statements in support of them. If they had broken the law of the land in a more serious way, would the club be out supporting them, dont think so. Therefore I find it in bad taste that they issued a statement at all.

Its still all being heavily disputed at the moment so if the club feel the need to issue a statement of public support then fair play to Teemore, it may be deemed worse by many more folk if they didnt. What would be more serious, like if they killed someone or something? Ya Goon!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

glens abu

Well I just hope none of the people in your life who have helped you in any way ever need your support if they do something wrong.

NAG1

Quote from: glens abu on July 25, 2012, 01:54:25 PM

Well I just hope none of the people in your life who have helped you in any way ever need your support if they do something wrong.

Sammy Im not a Gaa Club. I can support who ever in my life that I like but I dont see it as the role of any club to come out in support of anyone who breaks the law. I would have no problem with the club members and club officials being supportive of the Quinns, my issue is that there was no need to be releasing statements.
They do not own the club they are mere custodians after all.

PS If you set the precedent of backing club members with public statements after they have broken the law where do you stop? Fraud, theft, assault? you tell me

deiseach

In fairness, the club are defending a friend of theirs. I'm reminded of why Harry Truman said he went to the funeral of the deeply-corrupt Tom Pendergast - "He was always my friend and I have always been his"

NAG1

Desieach - again in a personal way, not as anything else.

deiseach

Quote from: NAG1 on July 25, 2012, 02:02:16 PM
Desieach - again in a personal way, not as anything else.

I know what you're saying, but I'd imagine (without any evidence, I'll admit) that this stance would be popular within the club. Would you suggest that a club should never come out in defence of crooks? Ever?

supersarsfields

Quote from: NAG1 on July 25, 2012, 01:59:24 PM

Sammy Im not a Gaa Club. I can support who ever in my life that I like but I dont see it as the role of any club to come out in support of anyone who breaks the law. I would have no problem with the club members and club officials being supportive of the Quinns, my issue is that there was no need to be releasing statements.
The do not own the club they are mere custodians after all.

PS If you set the precedent of backing club members with public statements after they have broken the law where do you stop? Fraud, theft, assault? you tell me

Thing is SQ gave a lot to the club. Not to individuals within the club. He invested money and time into the club and I'm sure they are just showing support to him considering the controversial treatmeant the Quinns have received.

NAG1

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 25, 2012, 02:12:41 PM

Thing is SQ gave a lot to the club. Not to individuals within the club. He invested money and time into the club and I'm sure they are just showing support to him considering the controversial treatmeant the Quinns have received.

Yeah but the thing is no one knows the extent of what the Quinn's have done or not done. I totally get that they gave money to the club no questions there, my point is simply that I don't feel that it is appropriate for a club to be releasing a public statement in support of people who have broken the law. (In the eyes of the state)

glens abu

Quote from: NAG1 on July 25, 2012, 02:18:48 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on July 25, 2012, 02:12:41 PM

Yeah but the thing is no one knows the extent of what the Quinn's have done or not done. I totally get that they gave money to the club no questions there, my point is simply that I don't feel that it is appropriate for a club to be releasing a public statement in support of people who have broken the law. (In the eyes of the state)

a state that was run by corrupt politicians for years who the GAA wined and dined and still do,ffs wise up your making a complete tool of yourself

supersarsfields

They haven't broken the law. They have broken civil orders. There's no criminal charges against them, unlike the bankers who are enforcing the loans. To be honest I would have been more surprised had Teemore not made a comment.