Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

QuoteTypical bloody Ireland, hound a Man who created and used wealth too the benefit of his Community and Country, while allowing the Bankers and Financiers who robbed and stole for personal gain go free and unhindered

Great man altogether -
Mrs Justice Dunne ruled that Sean Quinn's evidence was not credible. She said it was "impossible to accept the evidence of Sean Quinn Senior that he had no hand, act or part in Quinn business after April 2011".

She described efforts to hide assets as complex, complicated and costly and said they were done in a blatant, dishonest and deceitful manner. "They have consciously misled courts here and elsewhere,"

Jaysus have people forgotten about the insurance premium levy to replace the hole in Quinn Group's accounts when the Govt took it over. Or the sudden placing of large sums of money in his children's 'wealth portfolios' when he was a negative billionaire.
He's been found guilty because he disobeyed a court order and lied about it in order to protect millions from his creditors.

bcarrier

Quote from: Pangurban on June 26, 2012, 08:50:55 PM
Typical bloody Ireland, hound a Man who created and used wealth too the benefit of his Community and Country, while allowing the Bankers and Financiers who robbed and stole for personal gain go free and unhindered

Pangurban

The Sean Quinn story is sad but so far as I am aware no one made him pursue the CFD's in Anglo Irish which were his undoing. There was no benefit to Community or Country in that.

He got into a hole and kept digging. He bet the farm. For that he should accept and take his losses.

That somehow his losses in excess of his assets have ended up the responsibility of the Irish taxpayer is another story ...   

---------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of whataboutery creeping into this thread

Mayo4Sam

I can't believe you're comparing a rapist to Sean Quinn, some of them have some honour!

In seriousness I don't know how anyone can defend this man or his family, they are proving to be as bad as any of the other (alleged) crooks in this depression, Seanie Fitz, Fingers, Bertie et al. I don't see too many people from the republic supporting him, maybe that's because we're the ones paying back the money he is signing away to his grand kids? I know people will always go back to the jobs he has created and there are others there who got away with it but what he is currently doing is as bad as the worst of them.

Lock them up and throw away the key
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bord na Mona man

Miss Justice Dunne...
You couldn't invent a better name for a judge!

seafoid

This says it all

SQs protests that he was just a countryman were actually true 

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/quinn-family-held-in-contempt/

The Quinns were basically slow to react to their 'new' reality if they were ahead of the game and planned properly is there any chance they would be nabbed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Looking over this whole debacle, I'm reminded of the line in the TV show Hustle - you can't cheat an honest man. No doubt Seanie et al in Anglo were (and are) a shower of crooks, but a truly honest man would have run a mile from their pyramid scheme.

orangeman

So what so you think ?.

Will Sean Quinn and the other 2 lads co operate with Anglo and hand over control of the property to Anglo thereby avoiding jailtime or will they appear obtuse to Justice Dunne tomorrow and force her to come down hard on them ?

Or will they just buy time ?.

supersarsfields

I'd be surprised if they don't do some time. Dunne has made that pretty clear. The Quinns knew they were playing with fire over the assets and that this was always a possibility. They were motivated by a loathing of Anglo and a feeling of injustice over certain things.
Have to say the courts moved pretty quick on this one. Funny enough not so much movement on the allegations against Anglo of share support and whether the loans Anglo are trying to enforce are even legal. No mention of possible state involvement in this process either. It seems that if the Quinns don't run these cases against Anglo (and everything possible is being done to stop them), the state is happy to let it slide as well. Sounds like justice at all costs, unless of course it costs the state.   

orangeman

You surely weren't expecting the department of justice to go after the state in a hurry ?

Best to get shot of the Quinns by throwing them inside for a few years.

This will be some fall if the Quinns are jailed.

Almost as momentous as Martin meeting the queen yesterday and telling us all how nice it was.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 27, 2012, 09:59:34 AM
I can't believe you're comparing a rapist to Sean Quinn, some of them have some honour!

And you're a bollix!!

thebigfella

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 28, 2012, 01:58:34 PM
I'd be surprised if they don't do some time. Dunne has made that pretty clear. The Quinns knew they were playing with fire over the assets and that this was always a possibility. They were motivated by a loathing of Anglo and a feeling of injustice over certain things.
Have to say the courts moved pretty quick on this one. Funny enough not so much movement on the allegations against Anglo of share support and whether the loans Anglo are trying to enforce are even legal. No mention of possible state involvement in this process either. It seems that if the Quinns don't run these cases against Anglo (and everything possible is being done to stop them), the state is happy to let it slide as well. Sounds like justice at all costs, unless of course it costs the state.   

The more likely scenario is they were motivated by greed.

supersarsfields

That's a simplistic way of looking at things. What if wrongs were committed and ignored by the powers that be. How long do you continue down that path before you realise there's no interest in correcting the wrongs committed against you. How long would you continue to do nothing? Or would you take action. I know which I would do.

Lone Shark

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 28, 2012, 03:15:40 PM
That's a simplistic way of looking at things. What if wrongs were committed and ignored by the powers that be. How long do you continue down that path before you realise there's no interest in correcting the wrongs committed against you. How long would you continue to do nothing? Or would you take action. I know which I would do.

SQ may perceive that wrongs were done against him, but that's why we have laws and courts. It's up to him to prove that he was wronged, in a court of the land. He may feel that the system may have failed him, and I'm guessing you agree, but we can't have a system whereby people act according to their own sense of right and wrong, ignoring the law. You're essentially proposing anarchy. The correct remedy for SQ is to act within the law, not to break the law in retaliation.

What next - a man burgles my house, and I know who it is, but for one reason or another, he does not get convicted - so I enforce my own brand of vigilante justice, chopping off his arms so he can't do it again?

deiseach

QuoteFirst they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Thank God we have Seán Quinn to speak up for all of us, eh?

supersarsfields

Quote from: Lone Shark on June 28, 2012, 04:10:02 PM

SQ may perceive that wrongs were done against him, but that's why we have laws and courts. It's up to him to prove that he was wronged, in a court of the land. He may feel that the system may have failed him, and I'm guessing you agree, but we can't have a system whereby people act according to their own sense of right and wrong, ignoring the law. You're essentially proposing anarchy. The correct remedy for SQ is to act within the law, not to break the law in retaliation.

What next - a man burgles my house, and I know who it is, but for one reason or another, he does not get convicted - so I enforce my own brand of vigilante justice, chopping off his arms so he can't do it again?

Loan shark, you have to be either blind or dumb to believe that Anglo weren't supporting their own share price. I mean look at it logically. They lent a man with no assets 2.8 billion. They were able to come up with a payment of 100's of millions at a day's notice ( on a day the bank was closed) to give to the group to enhance it's group's finances, while not attached to any asset in particular, at a time when funnily enough their share price was dropping. Their top dogs at the time are saying what was going on, and in fact are saying that the state had a hand in it. Pair all that with the maple ten and you really do need to be struggling with sanity if you don't believe the loans were to support the shares.
And the fact that any case against Anglo is now a case against the state. Do you want to offer reasons as to why they are ploughing on with certain cases while ignoring others? The state have no interest in trying to find out if the loans were for share support because it costs them. As I said earlier why would you be worried about the rights of the state when the state obviously have no interest in protecting your rights.

Anarchy, perhaps but sometimes in a corrupt state with corrupt government it takes drastic measures to start the ball rolling. And before anyone is wondering I have no doubt that SQ is up to it in to his eye balls as well and if the cases for share support came up he would be as guilty as anyone in the bank and the state that were involved. But the fact that they are cherry picking which cases to run to me is unacceptable and as mentioned I support any action the Quinns took to take assets of Anglo.

Deiseach I don't believe SQ is doing anything for anyone but himself and his family. But then again I don't believe he ever proclaimed he was.