Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Sean Quinn owes me nothing. The people of the border region (as Super Sars alludes to) will not forget everything that he brought to the area over 38 years.
He took a massive gamble in a bank that was being run by cowboys. He should have known better. But to compare the man to Sean Fitz is ridiculous. If Sean Quinn had been left to run HIS company I'd be pretty sure Toxic Anglo (sorry I mean the Irish taxpayer  ::) would have re-couped most of the money owed but the Administrators/Government knew better. This region was never going to support the Administrators or Anglo auditors. Full Stop.
Whoever heard of acceptable Liquidity Ratios before Sean Quinn was brought to task over them?
I'm not here to debate. I don't expect people from outside the Cavan/Fermanagh/Leitrim/Monaghan area to understand my opinions but it is an opinion that is prevalent up here and all the RTE/Government spin will not change that.
My own mother and her two sisters were made redundant over the whole mess. But we all know who we blame.
Best of luck to Sean Quinn in his next move.

AQMP

Quote from: boojangles on November 12, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
Sean Quinn owes me nothing. The people of the border region (as Super Sars alludes to) will not forget everything that he brought to the area over 38 years.
He took a massive gamble in a bank that was being run by cowboys. He should have known better. But to compare the man to Sean Fitz is ridiculous. If Sean Quinn had been left to run HIS company I'd be pretty sure Toxic Anglo (sorry I mean the Irish taxpayer  ::) would have re-couped most of the money owed but the Administrators/Government knew better. This region was never going to support the Administrators or Anglo auditors. Full Stop.
Whoever heard of acceptable Liquidity Ratios before Sean Quinn was brought to task over them?
I'm not here to debate. I don't expect people from outside the Cavan/Fermanagh/Leitrim/Monaghan area to understand my opinions but it is an opinion that is prevalent up here and all the RTE/Government spin will not change that.
My own mother and her two sisters were made redundant over the whole mess. But we all know who we blame.

OK.

mylestheslasher

Well said. How many ida jobs in Cavan over the course of the Celtic tiger. Zero. Before that zero. Quinn was in this region, his home, creating jobs when no f**ker in Dublin or elsewhere did anything for this region. He never sent jobs abroad even though he could have saved serious money. He was not a flashy man, pretty down to earth actually. Most of Ye don't understand the loyalty as boojangles says. I look forward to 12 months time when Sean Quinn will be back making more jobs while fg/ff policies force more people to emigrate

whiskeysteve

Im not sure how folks think SQ would better serve the Southern taxpayer (to any degree of signifigance relative to his debts) by declaring bankruptcy in Dublin just to have his carcass picked over 12 years. In any case the money would effectively be fed into a black hole and the taxpayer would see no benefit.

If I were him I would want to spend the short remaining years of my working life to actively promote and drive new business for the area and taxpayer that supported me on the way up. The man obviously still has influence and ability after all.

We will see what difference he and his family can make over the next 5-10 years now he can start afresh in a year or so. I believe he can still galvanise the areas loyal to him in new or not so new enterprises.

Is there a chance of Drumm or Seanie Fitz coming back to make amends? Is there f**k. The worst kind of bankster parasite that drained the country dry. You couldn't equate SQ with the likes of that.

He can contribute best by being allowed to get back in the game as soon as possible, creating employment and having the decency to ensure he and those close to him take a very modest cut out of it.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Tubberman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 12, 2011, 01:36:10 PM

Well said. How many ida jobs in Cavan over the course of the Celtic tiger. Zero. Before that zero. Quinn was in this region, his home, creating jobs when no f**ker in Dublin or elsewhere did anything for this region. He never sent jobs abroad even though he could have saved serious money. He was not a flashy man, pretty down to earth actually. Most of Ye don't understand the loyalty as boojangles says. I look forward to 12 months time when Sean Quinn will be back making more jobs while fg/ff policies force more people to emigrate

Yes, he was a great man for the border region. He created hundreds of jobs (and many more spin off jobs I assume) and everyone would acknoledge that I'm sure.
But then he took some massive gambles, lost spectacularly and is now trying to weasel his way out of it by dumping HIS huge debts on US (the taxpayers). Why the f*ck should I be punished for Sean Quinn's mistakes!!?
It's the same question as has been asked re Seanie Fitz, Fingleton etc
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 12, 2011, 02:08:20 PM
Im not sure how folks think SQ would better serve the Southern taxpayer (to any degree of signifigance relative to his debts) by declaring bankruptcy in Dublin just to have his carcass picked over 12 years. In any case the money would effectively be fed into a black hole and the taxpayer would see no benefit.

If I were him I would want to spend the short remaining years of my working life to actively promote and drive new business for the area and taxpayer that supported me on the way up. The man obviously still has influence and ability after all.

We will see what difference he and his family can make over the next 5-10 years now he can start afresh in a year or so. I believe he can still galvanise the areas loyal to him in new or not so new enterprises.

Is there a chance of Drumm or Seanie Fitz coming back to make amends? Is there f**k. The worst kind of bankster parasite that drained the country dry. You couldn't equate SQ with the likes of that.

He can contribute best by being allowed to get back in the game as soon as possible, creating employment and having the decency to ensure he and those close to him take a very modest cut out of it.

And who pays the €2.8bn?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Tubberman on November 12, 2011, 02:10:04 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 12, 2011, 02:08:20 PM

And who pays the €2.8bn?

2.8bn will never be recouped.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Franko

Quote from: Tubberman on November 12, 2011, 02:08:59 PM

Yes, he was a great man for the border region. He created hundreds of jobs (and many more spin off jobs I assume) and everyone would acknoledge that I'm sure.
But then he took some massive gambles, lost spectacularly and is now trying to weasel his way out of it by dumping HIS huge debts on US (the taxpayers). Why the f*ck should I be punished for Sean Quinn's mistakes!!?

Hold on a second.  The reason that you, the taxpayer, have been left to foot the bill for Sean Quinn's business mistakes has nothing to do with any decision that Sean Quinn ever took.  The fault for that lies solely with Lenihan and Co when they decided that you, the taxpayer, should take responsibility for the toxic debts of that blood sucking hole Anglo.  Sean Quinn didn't foist this one on you.

mylestheslasher

What's the best result for Ireland looking forward. Quinn back on business in 1 yr or Quinn back in business in 12 yrs? The man has a track record on job creation  so let him at it.

muppet

Quote from: Franko on November 12, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
Hold on a second.  The reason that you, the taxpayer, have been left to foot the bill for Sean Quinn's business mistakes has nothing to do with any decision that Sean Quinn ever took.  The fault for that lies solely with Lenihan and Co when they decided that you, the taxpayer, should take responsibility for the toxic debts of that blood sucking hole Anglo.  Sean Quinn didn't foist this one on you.

There are two separate issues here.

a) Lenihan's guarantee bet the economy on the banks staying solvent. They didn't. We lost.

b) Quinn bet the Quinn group on Anglo's share price rising. It didn't. We lost again as his losses were to Anglo. (btw why was this, did Anglo lend him the money to buy out the CFD in Anglo?) Thanks to a) above Anglo's losses are our losses.
MWWSI 2017

boojangles

Quote from: Franko on November 12, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 12, 2011, 02:08:59 PM

Exactly Franko. You seemed to have silenced a few.
2.8 Billion would be change in comparison to what his companies brought to the Border.

Lone Shark

The fact that greater wrongdoings took place - those being the bank guarantee and the criminal administration of Anglo - does not excuse what Seán Quinn has done. Of course it has taken a combination of events to leave us at this point, and even if Seán Quinn was acting completely honourably, the taxpayer would still be in a hole. However the issue here is not that the man is bankrupt - the issue is that all his assets were transferred out while he still held debts, the issue is that he is selectively choosing where to go bankrupt, and the issue is that his family will walk away with huge wealth, all of which should be the property of the state right now.

Brian Lenihan, Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen were all bigger criminals and worse traitors for what they did, certainly. But that doesn't excuse Quinn.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 12, 2011, 08:07:11 PM
The fact that greater wrongdoings took place - those being the bank guarantee and the criminal administration of Anglo - does not excuse what Seán Quinn has done. Of course it has taken a combination of events to leave us at this point, and even if Seán Quinn was acting completely honourably, the taxpayer would still be in a hole. However the issue here is not that the man is bankrupt - the issue is that all his assets were transferred out while he still held debts, the issue is that he is selectively choosing where to go bankrupt, and the issue is that his family will walk away with huge wealth, all of which should be the property of the state right now.

Brian Lenihan, Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen were all bigger criminals and worse traitors for what they did, certainly. But that doesn't excuse Quinn.

Sorry, if he turned over everything he and his family have it will never be the property of the 'state' - it will be the property of Franco-German banks that are probably going to collapse in the long run anyway.

Sean made a huge mistake and must pay. I don't think anyone is completely exonerating the man.

But what would you have him do? Go bankrupt in the south and pick off the (relatively) small change so it can be thrown into a black hole never to be made use of? Or go bankrupt in the north and get him back to work - maybe giving 100 jobs back to the country?

sammymaguire

C'mon Lone Shark. What would you do if you were in SQ's shoes? He is an honourable man. He has been very loyal to the folk of Fermanagh/Cavan, even Dublin for Christ's sake and always played by the book. His life and livelihood was ripped from under his feet because of 'liquidity' and loan issues but if he'd have been allowed a number of month's grace to sort this out, he would have done.

That man and his family owe the Irish state f**k all, they owed him alot more a couple of years ago when this all kicked off and look where it got them.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

seafoid

Quote from: boojangles on November 12, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

Exactly Franko. You seemed to have silenced a few.
2.8 Billion would be change in comparison to what his companies brought to the Border.
[/quote]

Would the border counties not do the honourable and pony up the 2.8bn  ;)

i think there are 2 issues. The border cos have been shafted since the foundation of the state. Sean quinn is a border hero but also a chancer. No uaisleacht.

In a real republic the bcs would get economic attention. and everyone else wouldn^t have to pay the price of failure.

BTW if SQ had invested in Anglo bonds rather than equity he would still be in business. Who advised him? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU