Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

IMO for many years the only Antrim teams that could have made division one in Derry would be St Galls and Cargin. But that has changed. Right now I'd say the top six teams in Antrim would hold their own with the top six in Derry. Thats not because Antrim standard has improved all of a sudden, it's more down to Derry having levelled off and no longer having a superpower with the present exception of Slaughtneil.

ON THE HILL

antrim teams would hold there own in league in derry...as most teams dont care about league...but they are way off winning a derry championship..ulster club has showing that..just not good enough

Rodger Mona

BS, S'Neil havnt won a cship i 2 years. Yes a brilliant team but outside of that theres not much in derry IMO.

As for antrims top 6 who are we talking about here? Cargin , LD, Johnnies, Galls PG1 then Creggan?

The likes of LD, Cargin and perhaps Galls on their day i feel could hold their own in Derry. As for the rest I havnt seen much in terms of C'Ship pedigree that would suggest otherwise. I think the other 3 teams would struggle with the physicallity and would be lacking a bit of fire power up front

imtommygunn

If they're brilliant and haven't won a c'ship in 2 years though then surely the teams beating them must be pretty good...

Irish News doing a team of last 20 years for each county apparently(I rarely buy it these days). Any antrim team in it or anyone pick a team?

I would say 09 would probably dominate it. At least we have more wins in this last 20 than the previous 20 lol.

Caesar

I have watched plenty of Derry club football in recent years and the top 6 clubs in Antrim would all compete well in the top division in Derry.

Only Derry arrogance would have you believe otherwise.

Don't think any of them would be good enough to win the Derry championship at present.

imtommygunn

1. McGreevey
2. Mulholland
3  Tony Convery
4 KOBO
5 James Loughrey
6 Sean Kelly
7 Tony Scullion
8 Michael McCann
9 Joe Quinn
10 Aidan Gallagher
11 Fitzpatrick
12 Paddy McBride
13 Paddy Cunningham
14 Kevin Madden?
15 Kevin Brady

Struggling with half forwards... One for discussion anyway. BS will have seen more football than the rest of us I suspect...

Rodger Mona

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2019, 10:14:22 AM
1. McGreevey
2. Mulholland
3  Tony Convery
4 KOBO
5 James Loughrey
6 Sean Kelly
7 Tony Scullion
8 Michael McCann
9 Joe Quinn
10 Aidan Gallagher
11 Fitzpatrick
12 Paddy McBride
13 Paddy Cunningham
14 Kevin Madden?
15 Kevin Brady

Struggling with half forwards... One for discussion anyway. BS will have seen more football than the rest of us I suspect...

You seriously trying to tell me Fitzpatrick and McWide, deserve a place on that team ahead of Connor Murray, T.McCann, CJ, Niblock..... Tommy Gunn son, youv lost the run of yourself coming out with nonsense like that.

I hope your not in management

Rodger Mona

Awaiting BS's antrim team of last 20years..... will be a good read

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 05, 2019, 10:26:21 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2019, 10:14:22 AM
1. McGreevey
2. Mulholland
3  Tony Convery
4 KOBO
5 James Loughrey
6 Sean Kelly
7 Tony Scullion
8 Michael McCann
9 Joe Quinn
10 Aidan Gallagher
11 Fitzpatrick
12 Paddy McBride
13 Paddy Cunningham
14 Kevin Madden?
15 Kevin Brady

You seriously trying to tell me Fitzpatrick and McWide, deserve a place on that team ahead of Connor Murray, T.McCann, CJ, Niblock..... Tommy Gunn son, youv lost the run of yourself coming out with nonsense like that.

I hope your not in management

I'm mainly starting a discussion and fotgot a few names over the last few years lol.

Yes Niblock without doubt.

Rodger Mona

and what about the other lads i named? not better than what u have in.

only 2 out of your 6 forwards has won a cship

Youve no creggan men also,  whatever your problem is with the kickhams. Cranfield will be fuming

Cranfield

I'd say you are not far off with that team ITG.

Fitzpatrick is definitely one of the most talented players in Antrim. But I think he only made his debut recently so perhaps it is harder to include him. I know he played club up until a few years ago but did Martin Mulholland not retire from county early 2000's? Our own Enda McLernon was as good a county back around but again retired early and didn't play much beyond 2000.

Hard out leave out Paddy C and tomas. PC probably the one of deadliest free takers ever but not sure from play. Torn between Tomas and McBride

1. Sean McGreevey
    2. Kevin O'Boyle
    3. Tony Convery
    4. Tony Scullion
    5. Sean Kelly
    6. Justin Crozier
    7. James Loughrey
    8. Joe quinn
    9. Aidan Galllagher
   10. Conor Murray
   11. Mick McCann
   12. Paddy McBride
   13. Kevin Brady
   14. Kevin Niblock
   15. Kevin Madden

Cranfield

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 05, 2019, 11:52:01 AM

Youve no creggan men also,  whatever your problem is with the kickhams. Cranfield will be fuming

;D No real complaints. Bit like PC Mark dougan unplayable for club but not so much county.

Now if it was 1980-2000 big Teddy would be a cert  8)

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 05, 2019, 11:52:01 AM

You're very sensitive. Should I change my team to be exactly the same as what you pick?

What Creggan players would be in it? Lots of very good players - but maybe not just quite stand out enough.

Winning club c'ships has nothing to do with anything when picking a successful county team. It takes more than one player.

I will admit I forgot a few half forwards though but wouldn't pick the same line as you might.

Rodger Mona

Mark Dougan?

Tell me you are joking. Not near that level

Wheres the evidence to suggest Madden, McWide and Co. are as good/ better than CJ, Tomas, Murray and Niblock

The difference in the lads i named is they have achieved things at club and county level and punched above their weight and stood out against top teams. Jesus christ mcbride was dreadful in cship this year and last year. Madden wouldnt know what a gold medal looked like if u set it on his forehead.

Its unbelievable we have all watched and know the same players we are talking about. All good players but some are different gravy.

Stillwater2

Kevin McGourty not included?