Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on January 21, 2010, 09:59:18 AM
That was hard to watch last night. Some of the basic errors were unreal. Down seemed to have most of their first team out at some stage. We had about 3 or 4 of ours.

It all went downhill when saffron sam weighed in (3 minutes late).

It all went downhill long before that.

I was there in plenty of time, simply doing an Edwin Poots-esque protest at the ongoing attempts by the GAA to slow down Amhrán na bhFiann to the extent that it lasts longer than the game itself.

Yes, the Antrim performance (particularly in the first half) was one of gross ineptitude, as bad as anything I've ever had seen in by an Antrim team and outdone only by the gross ineptitude of referee Martin "Chicken" McErlean (Cargin, Dunloy, Ballinderry).

Things improved a bit in the second half when Antrim stopped playing with a sweeper and Down stopped playing altogether. Only consolation is that I think only 3 of the team that started the Ulster final, started last night.

Team I think was along the lines of

Finuncane (little to do)

Gault (tried hard but was taken for four points by Laverty)
Doherty (did reasonably well on Coulter, but a bit fat)
Boyd (Naomh Eargnaid)

Scullion (did reasonably well)
Carey (not great)
Loughrey (did well, particularly when moved to chf for the second half)

Hasson (did better than I thought he would, but still a long way short)
Edwards (largely anonymous)

Close (not in it, still loooks too much like Tintin)
Herron (too slow, no real contribution)
Somebody else.

Cunningham (unerring with frees, couple of superb scores from play)
Magill (one speccy, looks reasonably sharp and will do a good job if he commits)
O'Boyle (worth another look)

Subs

Eoin O'Neill (don't think he's up to it)
Gerard Walls (not up to it)
Neil O'Connell (did well, got a super goal, I think)
McCann (not on long enough to be rated)
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

aontroim

Is Justy Crozier injured at the minute as I see he wasn't playing for Queen's last night? Is he still a student?

saffron sam2

Listed in the Queen's squad anyway.

That fist pass rule is an absolute farce.

imtommygunn

You didn't really pass much comment on the left corner back Sam... Any reason for this? (i.e. was he rubbish?)

CountyGK

Quote from: aontroim on January 21, 2010, 11:59:39 AM
Is Justy Crozier injured at the minute as I see he wasn't playing for Queen's last night? Is he still a student?

Think Crozier and a few other lads had to pull out of Queens squad last night cos of exams this morning

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 21, 2010, 01:32:16 PM
You didn't really pass much comment on the left corner back Sam... Any reason for this? (i.e. was he rubbish?)

Genuinely didn't know he was on until he was being taken off (about 20 - 25 minutes in). I think he was the first one substituted. Was playing more as a half back (Down had two man full forward line) so he just got lost in the mass of bodies round the middle. Had he been rubbish, I would probably have said as much.

Quite a short name also.

SambaSaffron

Ryan Boyd wouldn't have been playing corner back. He's a fullforward for Moneyglass, but think he was playing halfforward last night but taken off about 20-25 mins in. Cornerback was listed in Irish News as Gough, no idea who that is.

You haven't been to many Antrim games over the years if that was the worst you've seen an Antrim team play. Queens last year anyone? From what I hear were bad first half, but I've seen a lot worse and its a much understrength team in the McKenna cup. To say Doherty looks fat is la bit harsh, the lad is only back from Oz, he's not going to be completely fit!

culchie11

''saffronsam

Team I think was along the lines of

Finuncane (little to do)

Gault (tried hard but was taken for four points by Laverty)
Doherty (did reasonably well on Coulter, but a bit fat)
Boyd (Naomh Eargnaid)

Scullion (did reasonably well)
Carey (not great)
Loughrey (did well, particularly when moved to chf for the second half)

Hasson (did better than I thought he would, but still a long way short)
Edwards (largely anonymous)

Close (not in it, still loooks too much like Tintin)
Herron (too slow, no real contribution)
Somebody else.

Cunningham (unerring with frees, couple of superb scores from play)
Magill (one speccy, looks reasonably sharp and will do a good job if he commits)
O'Boyle (worth another look)

Subs

Eoin O'Neill (don't think he's up to it)
Gerard Walls (not up to it)
Neil O'Connell (did well, got a super goal, I think)
McCann (not on long enough to rate)''

saffronsam, your probably the same fella who was in uproar this time last year when baker was appointed.
give the fellas a chance, thats if you know their names,lol.
think it was gault and douglas of st johns corner backs, with paul doc at full back-fat i hear you say, as nana would say, what a f**king liberty!!
not since colin corkery have i seen a fat senior county player!!
some fat heads all the same.

saffron sam2

Not easy with all the new faces and strange numbering to identify all the players. Spent nearly as much time looking at the list in the programme. Didn't realise Douglas was on and only realised Boyd was on when he was being taken off. Whether he lined out at corner back or half forward my synopsis of his performance remains the same.

As for the rest of the players, again I stand over my comments. I have been quite restrained in my comments about the individual players in the knowledge that a) they were playing to a system b) they were all trying their hardest for the saffron cause and c) some of them are not of inter-county standard. The first half performance of gross ineptitude was down partly to employing a sweeper system (which obviously wasn't working - that much was clear from the 4th minute) and partly to Down fielding a much, much stronger side (9 or 10 of whom had played championship last year). Nowhere have I singled out a player and accused him of gross ineptitude.

I have already had a portly Lamh Dhearg work colleague visit me this morning to complain about what I wrote regarding Brendan Herron. I've seen Brendan Herron often enough to know he is a good footballer, but on Wednesday's performance he appeared off the pace and still has some way to go before he'll be a regular in the starting fifteen.

Come championship time, I wouldn't expect more than 5 or 6 of the Antrim starting 15 from Wednesday to feature.

As for Mr Doherty, you boys who are backing him up obviously weren't about for longball's night of shock and awe earlier this year. If it is known that you lurk or post on gaaboard, then you're good for a bit of banter.

culchie11, a wee bit confused by your inability to use the quote function, but yes, 'twas me who was most aggrieved by Bradley's appointment last year. Again I stand over the reasons for my opposition to Mr Bradley's appointment. Folk will say that results have proved me wrong; I will say that results haven't totally proved me wrong. I would say they have simply shown the footballing talent that is available within Antrim and what Antrim could really do with a top class manager.

Hope this helps.

There is nothing overly critical in what I've written about any of the players; they're all better than me. I've seen much worse written in the Irish News ratings.

Gold

Anyone at the game today?

Who started, who came on and who scored?

I've been priced out of attending
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

aontroim

Was looking at the Irish News back page this morning and they have the final group standings from the McKenna Cup printed.  One statistic jumped off the page at me and i had to look again in disbelief.  Antrim were the only team not to concede a goal in the group stages.  Big big difference from last few years!

imtommygunn

Good statistic Aontroim.

That's good reading for a new FB line.

Whiel maybe we didn't set the world alight we won 2 out of 3. I'd be happy enough with that.

Davittgac

CHARLIE AND THE BHOYS

Charlie and the Bhoys will be appearing in Michael Davitt's GAC social club on Friday 5th March.

Tickets for the night are available at £10 each with special deals available on request for group bookings.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us either via this forum or
the club website - www.michaeldavittgac.com

Check out CATB website for videos, general info etc. on
http://www.charlieandthebhoys.co.uk/index35.htm

saffron sam2

Quote from: Davittgac on January 29, 2010, 12:22:03 PM
CHARLIE AND THE BHOYS

Charlie and the Bhoys will be appearing in Michael Davitt's GAC social club on Friday 5th March.

Tickets for the night are available at £10 each with special deals available on request for group bookings.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us either via this forum or
the club website - www.michaeldavittgac.com

Check out CATB website for videos, general info etc. on
http://www.charlieandthebhoys.co.uk/index35.htm

I have a question. Why do you feel the need to post this spam on multiple threads?

I have another question. You registered to post that. Why?

Your post annoys me. I thought it was someone from the real Davitt's.

Start a thread called CHARLIE AND THE BHOYS and post your guff there. Leave the other threads to what it says in the title.

Best regards

saffron sam2.

pebble-dasher

I have a question. Why do you feel the need to post this spam on multiple threads? So people are aware of the event

I have another question. You registered to post that. Why? To tell people about the event

Your post annoys me. I thought it was someone from the real Davitt's. It is the real davitts

Start a thread called CHARLIE AND THE BHOYS and post your guff there. Leave the other threads to what it says in the title.

Best regards

saffron sam2.
[/quote]