Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Random query (not much of a betting man) - when you stick money on a football team each way how far do they have to go in the championship for it to pay out? Just out of interest.

For Ballybofey next weekend and Croke this weekend. Honest assessment:
0 wins disappointing
1 win happy enough
2 wins ecstatic.

Team I would hope for:
1. McGreevy
2. Brady
3. McLean
4. O'Boyle
5. Scullion
6. Crozier
7. Loughrey
8. Gallagher
9. N McKeever
10. T McCann
11. Edwards
12. Brady
13. Cunningham
14. M McCann
15. Close

Think numbers 1-5 are locked in.
Real shame Sean Kelly isn't about. Still a class act, would have firmly bolstered the squad and could have freed Crozier/Loughrey to do some direct running at the Donegal backs.
Loughrey may be half forward in any event.
Would have McKeever in the middle. Fielding vey important and he is improving at this. Can field and lay to onrushing Scullion/Loughrey.
Aidso's engine and fielding itself will need to be at its best.
Mick McCann/Edwards as a target man with Close/Cunnigham off them.

Kelly/Magill/CJ mising and would arguably be additions - no injuries there, just a shame they wouldn't/didn't commit (in CJ's case, wouldn't commit properly).

That said they aren't there and the team have the potential to do it next Sunday. Things need to go for us. Need to hit hard, take the hits and be as clinical as possible.
Will be a test of character for them. There are people that can score in there - just had to realise that one wide should not lead to 2, 3, 4 as Antrim have lost confidence quite easily in the past.
Antrim have lost quite a few of the first round games before they ever step on the field...we need to get rid of that mental frailty, realise they've trained as well as any county squad and go for it.
Fingers crossed.

(PS I am not Lawrence Smyth...!)

TheDoc

Very little talk about Sunday.  :-\

I heard Kevin Nibblock is back on board.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

A Quinn Martin Production

From the BBC:

Niall McKeever and Dermott McCann will make their Championship debuts for Antrim against Donegal on Sunday.  McKeever, linked with a move to Aussie Rules, plays at right half-forward while McCann is the right corner-back.   Liam Bradley has made a couple of changes in atack with Sean Burke and Terry O'Neill replacing Dara Edwards and Ciaran Close.

Antrim: S McGreevy; C Brady, A McLean, D McCann; T Scullion, J Crozier, J Loughery; M McCann, A Gallagher, T O'Neill, K Brady, N McKeever; P Cunningham, S Burke, T McCann.

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

billy the kid

Thought this might interest some of you.

The Ulster Camogie Council are making a massive push ahead of their Ulster Finals.  Can you support them by publisizing their finals in all Clubs, Club and County Websites and all local Media (Radio and Newspapers)

Please Find attached the Final Poster and the Children's (U14) Free Ticket.

ULSTER CAMOGIE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS 2009

PAIRC ESLER, NEWRY
SATURDAY 4th JULY
[/b]

Ulster Camogie: Press Release – By. Niamh Archibald (Ulster Camogie PRO)

Ulster Camogie hosted the 2009 Provincial Championship Finals launch on Friday evening at the finals venue at Pairc Esler Newry.  Mayor of Newry and Mourne District Colman Burns was present to help launch the Ulster Finals.

Mayor Burns said: "Ulster Council should be commended for their dedication to making the Ulster Final a festival of camogie which could be enjoyed by all the family.

"The hard-work that has gone in by all those involved should be commended, this will be the best final Ulster Camogie has witnessed. The teams, players and officials are lucky to be taking part in such a momentous occasion.

Catherine O'Hara Chairperson of Ulster Camogie said: "The GAA has to be congratulated for giving us the opportunity to create what we hope will be the finest Ulster Final. They have worked tirelessly to ensure that we have a pitch and date which we can build around. Danny Murphy and Tom Daly have to be thanked for giving us this unique opportunity, we hope with their continued support and help to make the Ulster Final an annual event which will be placed in every GAA calendar.

"It's now up to us, as an association, in a Province with a unique history to get behind our own sport and be visibly seen supporting the game we are so proud to be part of. It's about respecting  ourselves first.

On behalf of the Council Iwould like to wish all the finalists and officials  the best of luck. Pairc Esler on 4th July is where we should all be.

Two fabulous finals and the buzz that goes hand in hand with finals day is one not to be missed."

Also present at the Launch was Ulster Secretary Danny Murphy . The Provincial GAA Director spoke of the need to support Camogie. Danny Murphy stated that the time has come for Camogie to receive the respect and recognition it deserved saying: "for some time now the Camogie Association has been saying that it should get more respect. I'm a big believer that respect is not given but earned and you only have to look at what Ulster Camogie is trying to achieve with this Final to know that they are worthy of our respect."

The Ulster Finals will take place on the 4th July, with Tyrone facing Monaghan in the Junior Final, whilst neighbours Derry and Antrim will battle it out for the Senior title.

(For all the latest updates log onto www.ulstercamogie.ie )

CLICK BELOW TO VIEW - Ulster Camogie Final Promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KH5og1zwY

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Glensman

Antrim:
S McGreevy;

C Brady, A McLean, D McCann;
T Scullion, J Crozier, J Loughrey;

M McCann, A Gallagher;

T O'Neill, K Brady, N McKeever;
P Cunningham, S Burke, T McCann.

Though I'll be there with bells on I am mystified as to why Terry O'Neill is starting.
Only on here or on the Antrim football section did I see that him and Niblock were back on the panel.
Even at that Niblock is a considerably classier football than O'Neill, a good ball winner (useful in a line with Brady) and can take a score (both right footed frees/45s and from play).
Perhaps the foraging into his own defence role has been assigned to O'Neill but while a hard worker and not a bad distributor when he has time, his scoring is questionable and he will get out muscled on the ball. 
Would much rather have seen Niblock or Edwards in there for balling winning and scoring ability.

We need a wide range of scorers on Sunday and need options. In championship the opposition is always smarter than league (and Donegal are clearly above the Division 4 level)...they see something working for Antrim and will close the door to that route.
Its been a failing of Antrim...last year when Cunningham and CJ were bottled up we had nowhere to go.

Antrim need to go into this with belief and with game plans.

•   Is Kevin O'Boyle injured?
•   We need strong running from wing half backs, guaranteed running all day but the end product/pass needs to be good. We need Tony's distribution to be spot on...and if it ain't working we need him to make those runs and lay the ball off. He can be very dangerous when he knows his limitations.
•   Strong running and work rate from Aidso. Non stop.
•   A bit of class from Mick McCann, combined with workrate and quick ball in...none of that fancy dummying. Bang, into space for Tomas and then he does damage.
•   O'Neill to forage and win dirty ball that Brady won't go near. Brady himself to pull the strings and also now and again pull the trigger...he rarely takes that responsibility.
•   McKeever needs to help midfield and throw himself about. When he wants to field he can field with the best of them in Ulster...or at least break the ball and stop them getting clean catches.
•   Not sure of what Burke's role is going to be but if its a target man he needs to make a nuisance of himself and Tomas and Cunningham to pick up the breaks.
•   The corner forwards need to make smart runs for 70 mins. Non stop...we have options to come on.

This is a chance and we need to step up and take it...and flipping bust a gut either way.

milltown row

Burke to be played in Midfield and Mick McCann in fullforward. seems the county managers play league games all year with players and tactics and once championship comes they change everything. Donegal by 7/8 points lads. can't see us getting a goal

pebble-dasher

Is there any need to post the likely line out when everyone in the country reads this thing!! 

Dermot mc cann is a bit of a shock in corner back as he would play most of his football out round half back or midfield.  However the  Donegal corner forwards are pretty big so this might be the reason he got the nod instead of KOB. 
Terry o neill is a shock as well considering his short length of time with the panel. 
I honestly do not know why burke is on the team, especially to be coming out to play midfield.  He will commit a load of fouls and his ball skills would be limited although he is a good fielder and a total work horse. 
Half forward line is quite weak possibly mark dougan or closey on for burke and play tomas number 12 with big niall edge of the square.
Hoping scullion has his boots on and uses the ball a bit wiser and cunningham is on form with his frees then maby with a bit of luck tomas will find the net and antrim win by 1 but i dont think anyone can look pass a donegal win and quite a big one at that.

milltown row

Quote from: pebble-dasher on June 13, 2009, 03:33:32 PM
Is there any need to post the likely line out when everyone in the country reads this thing!!  

Dermot mc cann is a bit of a shock in corner back as he would play most of his football out round half back or midfield.  However the  Donegal corner forwards are pretty big so this might be the reason he got the nod instead of KOB. 
Terry o neill is a shock as well considering his short length of time with the panel. 
I honestly do not know why burke is on the team, especially to be coming out to play midfield.  He will commit a load of fouls and his ball skills would be limited although he is a good fielder and a total work horse. 
Half forward line is quite weak possibly mark dougan or closey on for burke and play tomas number 12 with big niall edge of the square.
Hoping scullion has his boots on and uses the ball a bit wiser and cunningham is on form with his frees then maby with a bit of luck tomas will find the net and antrim win by 1 but i dont think anyone can look pass a donegal win and quite a big one at that.

it was in the Irish News today but sure ::)

cavan4ever

slow corner back

Quote from: pebble-dasher on June 13, 2009, 03:33:32 PM

That bit is spookily accurate

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: hardstation on June 14, 2009, 08:47:13 PM
Baker for President!
The UK doesnt have the position of President HS  :P  :-*

BallyhaiseMan

It will be a great two weeks of media outlets telling us neither Cavan or Antrim have a hope in hell and Derry/Tyrone is the Ulster Final.  >:(
Id say their will be a real buzz around Antrim Football for the first time in a while.
I know theres actually a decent amount of optimism around Cavan for the first time in about 5 years.

Gaaman

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 14, 2009, 08:48:42 PM
Baker for President!

And where is the current president from??? Down/UK you ignorant pri ck

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Gaaman on June 14, 2009, 10:12:33 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 14, 2009, 08:48:42 PM
Baker for President!

And where is the current president from??? Down/UK you ignorant pri ck

Thr Grown ups are conversing about a future Ulster Semi Final kid.
Dont you have some GCSE's or A Levels to study for.

tierworker blue

Well done Antrim...looking forward to meeting y'all in Clones.
According to the critics, we had'nt a hope against Fermanagh, and ye did'nt have a hope against Donegal...I guess some humble pie should be consumed?!
Dead on BH Man...there'll be a field day about how the other semi might as well be the final !