Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Gig wins for st brigids and moneyglass there.

Gold

Portglenone look good this year and beat St Johns (who i was told had been going well) convincingly.

Glenavy seem to have had no luck only scoring 4 points at St Galls

St Pauls should stick to the boxing
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gold

Quote from Report from Portglenone game:

"Fortyseven minutes gone Casements 4.7 St Johns 0.0"

Two clubs going in opposite directions

milltown row

Quote from: Gold on April 06, 2009, 01:37:51 PM
Portglenone look good this year and beat St Johns (who i was told had been going well) convincingly.

hard for any team to score yesterday. playing on our bottom pitch and the wind was all over the place. Glenavy should take points off teams this year

Gold

Quote from: milltown row on April 06, 2009, 02:12:06 PM
Quote from: Gold on April 06, 2009, 01:37:51 PM

hard for any team to score yesterday. playing on our bottom pitch and the wind was all over the place. Glenavy should take points off teams this year

hard for any team but you's outscored Glenavy 13 points to 4 even though you's had the wind to deal with also--thats a rollin they got. Your right about Glenavy though, they will pick up points and will be safe.

I'd say even at this early stage its any 2 from Johns, Pauls, Raharkin or possibly Moneyglass(although they had a good win yesterday) who goes down. IVe seen milk turn quicker than the Johns and Paul's forward lines

NAG

Im curious to know where you think portglenone are going Gold?

They dont have the fire power or players to break into the top two and wouldnt challenge realistically for a coutny title?

Gold

Quote from: NAG on April 06, 2009, 03:29:23 PM

They dont have the fire power or players to break into the top two and wouldnt challenge realistically for a coutny title?

Thats a fair point--they dont have fantastic forwards but under Delargy they appear to be going about things the right way, did well in the Ulster League and destroyed the one time aristocrats of Antrim Football in their own back yard yesterday. If their forwards work well as a unit then they may trouble one of the big 2 in a one off championship game. Portglenone have a very good draw and a realistic chance of getting to a county final. Then its a one off match against one of the big 2 and with  proper training and a consistant gameplan they could maybe, just maybe win their 1st title. I mean i know St Johns are rudderless but to hold them scoreless for 47 minutes is some achievement. Any game like that usually sees a referee giving the losing team frees for nothing--so for Ports to hold them totally scoreless for that period of time suggests that they are tackling like dogs and doing so without lazy fouling.

Lets face it, Gall's are way infront in terms of volume of players with natural ability. If these players have the desired hunger they could dominate for the foreseeable future. Cargin are next and are very consistant in the league but are some way off St Galls and can be beaten by the teams just below them on any given day.

jdyok

Johnnies horrendous on Sunday, looking like another long season, can't be as bad again, or can they? ??? >:(

mrsandman

Quote from: Gold on April 06, 2009, 04:02:11 PM

Thats a fair point--they dont have fantastic forwards but under Delargy they appear to be going about things the right way, did well in the Ulster League and destroyed the one time aristocrats of Antrim Football in their own back yard yesterday. If their forwards work well as a unit then they may trouble one of the big 2 in a one off championship game. Portglenone have a very good draw and a realistic chance of getting to a county final. Then its a one off match against one of the big 2 and with  proper training and a consistant gameplan they could maybe, just maybe win their 1st title. I mean i know St Johns are rudderless but to hold them scoreless for 47 minutes is some achievement. Any game like that usually sees a referee giving the losing team frees for nothing--so for Ports to hold them totally scoreless for that period of time suggests that they are tackling like dogs and doing so without lazy fouling.

Lets face it, Gall's are way infront in terms of volume of players with natural ability. If these players have the desired hunger they could dominate for the foreseeable future. Cargin are next and are very consistant in the league but are some way off St Galls and can be beaten by the teams just below them on any given day.

I wouldn't rate st.galls as highly as you have, theyr'e not that far ahead of antrim, in fact, in terms of the amount of top players in theyr'e ranks i would say there isnt much difference. Possibly st.galls having more older established players although looking at antrims county squad (with no knowledge of recent events) you wouldn't say that. Cargin and st.galls are quite close together and portglenone under the guidance of delargy are capable of causing an upset. St.galls obviously have more experience in championship wins etc, but the others are well capable of beating them.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Gold

Quote from: mrsandman on April 07, 2009, 08:46:15 AM

I wouldn't rate st.galls as highly as you have, theyr'e not that far ahead of antrim, in fact, in terms of the amount of top players in theyr'e ranks i would say there isnt much difference. Possibly st.galls having more older established players although looking at antrims county squad (with no knowledge of recent events) you wouldn't say that. Cargin and st.galls are quite close together and portglenone under the guidance of delargy are capable of causing an upset. St.galls obviously have more experience in championship wins etc, but the others are well capable of beating them.

the thing is we do have knowledge of recent events. McClean, Kelly, Niblock, Terry O'Neill, Karl Stewart and the 3 McGourty's would in my opinion all start for the County if they gave the required committment. Thats 8 players who arnt there now--if they didnt start they would make some difference to the County Panel if they were committed subs coming in to do a could job--but the fact is they are not there despite all being in their, or coming to, their prime. All these boys are strong on the ball and above average footballers--add this to their County midfielder, half back line who will hit you hard and fair, tight marking corner backs and very good goalkeeper and you have a seriously good club side. A side that has contested 3 ulster club finals, one all Ireland final, and has won 2 kilmacud 7's in the last 5 years.

Then we come to Cargin, who are, in my opinion, a long way off St Galls--yes they have a fair few playing for the County but they dont have anywhere near the strength in depth at the back or up front that Galls have. Cargins full back line could be taken to the cleaners on any given day and their forward line isnt the biggest. They caught St Galls on one bad day a few years ago and then struggled to beat LD in the final. They may have improved from then and are very consistant in the league but they will be doing very well to stop a St Galls side with so many players capable of playing County Football choosing to channel their energies and focus into the club team

Joxer

Folks,

Anyone know where I would get the Antrim team from the Minor League game against Derry on Saturday?

BanagusOir

Quote from: Gold on April 07, 2009, 10:49:33 AM

the thing is we do have knowledge of recent events. McClean, Kelly, Niblock, Terry O'Neill, Karl Stewart and the 3 McGourty's would in my opinion all start for the County if they gave the required committment. Thats 8 players who arnt there now--if they didnt start they would make some difference to the County Panel if they were committed subs coming in to do a could job--but the fact is they are not there despite all being in their, or coming to, their prime. All these boys are strong on the ball and above average footballers--add this to their County midfielder, half back line who will hit you hard and fair, tight marking corner backs and very good goalkeeper and you have a seriously good club side. A side that has contested 3 ulster club finals, one all Ireland final, and has won 2 kilmacud 7's in the last 5 years.

Then we come to Cargin, who are, in my opinion, a long way off St Galls--yes they have a fair few playing for the County but they dont have anywhere near the strength in depth at the back or up front that Galls have. Cargins full back line could be taken to the cleaners on any given day and their forward line isnt the biggest. They caught St Galls on one bad day a few years ago and then struggled to beat LD in the final. They may have improved from then and are very consistant in the league but they will be doing very well to stop a St Galls side with so many players capable of playing County Football choosing to channel their energies and focus into the club team

The reason they struggled was because they got a man sent off after 10 minutes!

mrsandman

Quote from: Gold on April 07, 2009, 10:49:33 AM

the thing is we do have knowledge of recent events. McClean,Kelly, Niblock, Terry O'Neill, Karl Stewart and the 3 McGourty's would in my opinion all start for the County if they gave the required committment. Thats 8 players who arnt there now--if they didnt start they would make some difference to the County Panel if they were committed subs coming in to do a could job--but the fact is they are not there despite all being in their, or coming to, their prime. All these boys are strong on the ball and above average footballers--add this to their County midfielder, half back line who will hit you hard and fair, tight marking corner backs and very good goalkeeper and you have a seriously good club side. A side that has contested 3 ulster club finals, one all Ireland final, and has won 2 kilmacud 7's in the last 5 years.

Niblock - Good player for st.galls, wouldn't put T/M McCanns K Brady J Loughrey etc out of their place.
terry o'neill - same again
karl Stewart - better hurler
3 McGourty's - CJ and Kevin should be on but they dont have this focus you speak of, Ciaran is a better hurler.
All good additions, some more so than others.

To be fair i dont think there would be 8 players from any club starting on any county team worth their salt, and although st.galls are ahead of cargin in terms of quality at senior, its not by that much, not enough that cargin and other antrim clubs arn't capable of beating them. Underage success at st.galls hasn't been as prominent in recent times as is was in years gone by. And they arn't dominating county panels as much as they used to, so maybe its a sign of changing times.
A winning mentality is always a head start, st.galls definitely have this over other sides.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Glensman

Anyone know who won the Gorts LD match last night in Division 2? Cheers

Will be an interesting Division 2 this year.

TheDoc

Quote from: Glensman on April 09, 2009, 03:56:43 PM
Anyone know who won the Gorts LD match last night in Division 2? Cheers

Will be an interesting Division 2 this year.

I dont think this game was played.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand