Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchy1

yeah read that too glensman, aw well its done now, lets just get on with it.

ss2 so reading between the lines, because our county chairman is from a hurling club he shouldnt be involved in picking football manager!?
do you want two separate county boards, one for football & one for hurling, catch a grip man.
i thought teachers were educated people.

as for bakers IN interview, i dont care what he says in paper, its what he says to players & results that im looking for.
i think the trials are good idea, baker knows more about antrim football than most will think, if he doesnt already know it
he will make sure he does.
he took an average glenullin side two or three years ago, to a derry club title last year, its not the actual title im impressed with but the way, he got them up to a certain standard & kept them there & worked with them improving them all the time.
thats what i would be looking from him with antrim, realistically, we arent going to win ulsters or all-irelands, but we have to start competing against teams at a higher level for the whole match,not just in patches, before we can think about beating them & then stay at that level, becoming consistant.
the talent is there for it to happen.

toiletroller

would disagree with you there. Glenullin were not an average team when baker took them on in his last stint as manager. More a team in transition with a lot of the olders boys leaving and a lot of new blood coming through. To give him credit were its due he guided the bulk of the now playing team right up through from underage, the boys in and around the 23- 27 age mark. he had the added incentive tho that it was his own club and his two lads were involved. he'll take no shit from some of antrim pre madonnas!!

culchy1

For anyone whos interested Bakers IN interview was posted on derry football thread here goes enjoy:

ADRIAN McGuckin, he credits, for teaching him most of what he knows. McGuckin's basic

principles on how to play the game, the fusion of ability and attitude essential to be a footballer and a winner, Liam Bradley has never forgotten.

He is into his second week of the biggest job of a career in Gaelic football rooted in a rural parish that, as a boy, did not have the

numbers to field in underage games. Antrim's new senior football manager singled McGuckin out as an inspirational influence.

Scientific football.

The man who coached him at St Patrick's, Maghera, who put trust in Bradley as a full-back on the first Maghera team that captured the prestigious MacRory Cup of Ulster Senior Colleges football in 1977, against Abbey CBS Newry, was not one to buy into the science

spin-doctors.

McGuckin famously responded to a rival school's coach, interviewed prior to a MacRory Cup match, who suggested they would win by

sticking to scientific football – "scientific football my arse". He went on to make it clear Maghera's plain and simple game plan was to "get the ball into the square". Chaos ensued as the 'Hail Marys' turned possession and pressure into profit.

The second half of the game was made academic as Maghera powered to victory.

"Adrian was a brilliant man. He was probably the greatest coach I ever played under, or the greatest coach I've ever seen. He done the simple things, learned you the basics of the game, how to catch and kick a ball, the basics, and that was what Maghera were about at that time. That is why St Pat's were different than anybody else at that time."

Bradley was working to try and make the grade the previous year, 1976, the season St Pat's reached the first of what would be 10 MacRory Cup finals in-a-row. Four wins followed in the '80s, a treble in the '90s, to cement the college's reputation as one of the country's leading football nurseries.

Football was never just about catch and kick, as Liam recalled: "Adrian installed a will to win with us that was unbelievable. I remember playing St Pat's, Cavan in a quarter-final of the MacRory and myself and Seamus Doyle, who used to manage Enniskillen Gaels, were assigned to nudge the Cavan boys even before the game, as they were coming off the bus, just to agitate a bit.

"Apart from showing us the basics of Gaelic football, Adrian's approach was probably more so to do with instilling into players that you always give it your all, that you are never beat, to never ever give up, never lie down to anyone and that's how I have always approached Gaelic football."

Bradley's introduction to it was a short car journey from his home in Glenullin to the neighbouring rival parish of Kilrea. The Glenullin club did not have any juvenile and minor teams then, so Liam and his brothers – Gabriel played on the same team as current Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill – were tutored by the parish priest, "a great GAA man", Father Leo Deery.

"The first person who introduced me to Gaelic football was the late Father Deery. He was a great man, was the priest at the time in Kilrea. Glenullin had no underage structures and myself and all my brothers played for Kilrea at that level. I remember in 1974 we played in an U16 final for Kilrea against Glack. Father Deery was the manager," he said.

"From there I went on to play for St Pat's, Maghera under Adrian McGuckin, was on the first team to win the MacRory Cup, played

full-back on a team Terence Laverty, who went on to play for Antrim, was captain of and that

Kilrea's Kevin McWilliams, who went on to win an Ulster Senior Championship for Derry in 1987, played on. There were a few

characters on it, a few who entered that team as boys and came out of it as men."

A decade later, where he lived had changed, expanded population, and the GAA club was reaping the benefits as the quality of young players allowed John Mitchel's GAC, Glenullin to field across the age groups, one of whom was to become an Allstar before his 19th birthday; Dermot McNicholl.

He was still 19 when he captained the club to win the Derry SFC title. He earned his stripes with Glenullin as an U14 and U16 Derry

Championship medalist and, like Bradley, won MacRory with Maghera – four of them from five

finals (1980-84).

Bradley was part of the club's underage management team at that juncture, working with manager Danny McIlvar and Gerard O'Kane. The coaching bug had bitten him despite being only 21 and playing for Derry.

"In the early '80s there was a great underage set-up at Glenullin, a very good U16 team that came through that included Dermot McNicholl, Danny O'Kane, my brother Dominic, Cathal McNicholl. All those guys went on to play for Derry.

"We won U14 and U16 county titles and were going for a three-in-a-row of minor titles when pipped by the great Lavey team that came through in '82.

"I got involved in coaching at the club at that time and that whetted my appetite. That's when I started coaching and it's just progressed from there. I then took the senior team for a while in the late '80s, Gerard O'Kane and myself were player-managers, and it's esculated from there."

On the playing side of life, that part of his Gaelic football passion did not draw to a close until the mid-1990s.

A minor, U21 and senior with his native Oak Leaf, his days with Derry ended with the arrival of Mickey Moran for his first stint in charge.

"I played right through to senior level, played a few McKenna Cup games," recalled Liam but, in an honest assessment, the reasons for not pushing on to the NFL and Championship arenas were that "I never really cut it at senior with Derry as in the early '80s I was just down the pecking order a bit."

He continued: "I went into the senior panel under Frankie O'Loan and Harry Shivers. They left and Mickey Moran came in. I wasn't part of Mickey's plans. That is just the way it goes."

In 1996, at the age of 36, the need for a place on the washing line for his Glenullin jersey came to an end too.

"I actually played in a Reserve Championship match against Dungiven that year along with Patrick (Derry's 2007 Allstar forward). I was playing middle of the field, Patrick was corner- forward. It was a father-son effort that day. I think Patrick scored nine points and, of course, I supplied most of the bullets. That was my swansong. Dungiven beat us in the semi-final by a couple of points."

Sipping coffee, sitting relaxed at Walsh's Hotel in Maghera, the conversation, spiked with humour as he delved into a selection of memories and milestones that brought him to where he's at now, takes on a more serious note as the focus turns to Antrim, the new job, the great challenge.

On the night he was selected as the successor to Jody Gormley he was described by one official as "a straight talker".

Once he was approached by a club asking if he would allow them to put his name forward, once his mind was made up despite half-a-dozen clubs nominating him for the senior Derry post Paddy Crozier vacated – Bradley was brought into Crozier's backroom team in 2006 – he would decline an interview as Damian Cassidy was "short-odds favourite" and duly appointed, the talking started.

His two sons, Paddy and Eoin, both county seniors, were sounded out. Go for it they advised. His "good friend" Richard Ferris, who brought him in to coach when he was with Drumsurn and Derry's minors before he took charge of Derry U21s seven years ago, was sounded out, so too former Allstar Tony Scullion.

All were in agreement.

"It was a thrill to be asked by an outside county and hopefully it will work out. I knew when this job became available there was plenty of talent in Antrim and I felt that if I could get in there that I could maybe do a job with them.

"Now in Gaelic football a lot of counties go for the home town man but there's a lot to be said for an outsider in some cases. I was delighted to be asked, delighted that Antrim put their faith in me and my backroom team of Niall Conway, who I believe is one of the top young coaches in Ulster, my other selector Paddy McNeill of Rasharkin and Tony McCollum of Creggan, who is the liaison officer."

He is aware of the polarised city/country opinion and outlook that has unfortunately reared its head to divide Antrim often in the past. The topic is unavoidable. But, the new manager insists that whatever happened previously, whatever problems there were – large or small – are of absolutely no interest.

There is a clean slate for every club to sign up to, every player who believes he has something to contribute positively to the cause, for whom wearing the jersey means what it should mean.

"We have listened to stories down through the years about country and city fellas not getting on, but I don't care about that. I know nothing about it. Myself and Niall Conway are coming into this from Derry and we carry no baggage.

"We are going to treat every individual on a level par. I don't care what happened in the past.

Everybody who should be playing for Antrim will be given a chance. All the good footballers in Antrim will hopefully be playing for us come 2009. We are starting off on a level playing field."

Antrim are still wearing the straight-jacket of Division Four. A competitive assembly of opponents, not easy to get past. Jody Gormley's team had its chances but lost their way in the final two rounds, defeat by Waterford at home fastening the basement buckles for another NFL campaign.

Promotion then perhaps?

Liam's eyes run through the fixture list. Wicklow, the county that beat Antrim for the Tommy Murphy Cup in '07, the county that lost to Antrim in that same cup's final at Croke Park in August, at home first clip. Leitrim, managed by the county manager who didn't see him as part of his senior Derry plans as a player, Mickey Moran.

"It is a coincidence that Mickey has taken up a new managerial post with Leitrim and I've been

appointed by Antrim. One of the hardest games Antrim will probably have next year will be playing in Carrick-on-Shannon in our fourth game of the National League. I will be looking forward to that game alright. It will be an interesting game.

"I know it is Division Four football, but there's a lot of strong teams in there with us, Carlow, Sligo, we're at home to Wicklow in our first game. None are pushovers. It's a tough, very, very competitive League."

Promotion a realistic target then perhaps? He isn't making any promises because the "realistic target" he will set the new Antrim squad assessed and put in place for January's tune-up for the NFL, the Dr McKenna Cup, is what he believes is a first base basic essential. If achieved, and he is adamant that it will be, Antrim will move forward.

"We will not be setting any targets at this stage. It is only the beginning of November and all we will be telling our players when we meet them is gain a bit of respect for Antrim football. The first night we meet them, that's what we will tell the players – get respect for Antrim football.

"If they can gain that respect then they will not be that far away, I think. That is the target we will be setting ourselves. I would not have taken the job on if I didn't think I was capable of doing it and capable of, I'll not say bringing them forward, but getting Antrim a bit of respect.

"First and foremost Antrim football, and guys might say no this isn't true, but I'd say they have very little respect throughout Ulster.

"You know, the first draw everybody wants in the Ulster Championship is Antrim. They think it is going to be an easy thing and probably rightly so because they've won so few games in the Championship in the past 20 years and more, so we know we're the whipping boys of Ulster.

"Fermanagh used to be whipping boys in Ulster also but not anymore. Fermanagh have set the benchmark of where Antrim want to be. Gaelic

footballers have to realise that, when they join a county panel, they are ambassadors for that county and you have to get a mindset into them that it is about a will to win, a will to improve.

"That is what we will be trying to install. The management team I've drawn up know it is a big, big task but I think with a bit of work, things might change next year."

Respect. The initial target he wants delivered. He could not be any clearer on that. Players have to raise their collective game to earn the respect he states, from someone unattached to the county previously, Antrim does not attract from others.

Driving them along will be the tried and tested approach to Gaelic football, and an uncompromising will to be winners, his college coach taught him.

It's taken Liam this far. He intends to make sure Antrim in '09 stick to the same principles he believes can see the Saffrons prosper.

When the MacRory Cup old boy sends his players out to take on Donegal in next summer's Ulster Senior Championship, the coach he respects so much from his college days is likely to be on air, a radio match analyst, calling it – as he's renowned for – as he sees it.

That Sunday's report will be interesting to listen to. His former pupil will obviously hope the final assessment is one of straight As for his Antrim side.

saffron sam2

Quote from: culchy1 on November 06, 2008, 12:17:01 PM
ss2 so reading between the lines, because our county chairman is from a hurling club he shouldnt be involved in picking football manager!?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. A man who has never played or promoted the game within his own club has no right to be involved in the selection process, regardless of his position on the county board. Would you be happy with Cargin and Moneyglass men installing the new Antrim hurling manager?

What should have happened is this. A sub-committee should have been formed from among the members of the county board (with an interest or experience in Gaelic football), along with outside experts (possibly from the Ulster council). These men should have identifed the requirements of the job, drawn up a short list of candidates, interviewed them and installed the best candidate.

do you want two separate county boards, one for football & one for hurling, catch a grip man.

No, I don't, twice as many numpties is not the answer. I would settle for one where the figurehead can demonstrate an interest in both codes.

There are those who suggest that we are halfway to your scenario, that all we need is a football board, but I wouldn't go that far. Yet.

i thought teachers were educated people.

More fool you then. In my experience most teachers are those who fecked up their A Levels, couldn't get into a proper university so went to the Ranch instead.

Hope this helps.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

tonesfirstandlast

You Antrim folk amuse me. Instead of complaining about Liam Bradley, you should be celebrating the fact that someone with managerial experience has decided to sacrifice his reputation to take you. Remember you are amongst the worst counties in the country, you have no tradition and if Sean Boylan and Alex ferguson took you it would still be an impossible task.
And as for SS2 talking about the "promised land"- where exactly would that be in Antrim  terms- more than 15 turning up for training.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 06, 2008, 03:18:34 PM
You Antrim folk amuse me. Instead of complaining about Liam Bradley, you should be celebrating the fact that someone with managerial experience has decided to sacrifice his reputation to take you. Remember you are amongst the worst counties in the country, you have no tradition and if Sean Boylan and Alex ferguson took you it would still be an impossible task.
And as for SS2 talking about the "promised land"- where exactly would that be in Antrim  terms- more than 15 turning up for training.

whoooo...TFAL sit back, watch the abuse thats about to come your way. I am going to enjoy this...come on SS2...step up to the challenge :)

lynchbhoy

what amazes me is that from the info I have been told , it was Madden all the way that 'transformed' Glenullin, baker had little or nothing to do with it except ride along on his coat tails (I am sure he had some kind of meaningful input)  but according to fellas from within their club, its Madden was the messiah and Bradley has taken acolades for it ever since...

Lets see what he does, and dont mind them bellaghy boys, they are a dead loss in Derry these days and are trying to pick fights with people less successful than themselves now - though having won the tommy cooper cup, Antrim are now better off than than the impoverished bellaghy trophy cabinet !
;)

The GAA

I didn't even know baker stayed on when madden took the job.

baker is not up to county management lads so i hope he gets good men around him

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 06, 2008, 04:07:05 PM
what amazes me is that from the info I have been told , it was Madden all the way that 'transformed' Glenullin, baker had little or nothing to do with it except ride along on his coat tails (I am sure he had some kind of meaningful input)  but according to fellas from within their club, its Madden was the messiah and Bradley has taken acolades for it ever since...

Lets see what he does, and dont mind them bellaghy boys, they are a dead loss in Derry these days and are trying to pick fights with people less successful than themselves now - though having won the tommy cooper cup, Antrim are now better off than than the impoverished bellaghy trophy cabinet !
;)

Lb do you have a bitch in every club and county? :D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 06, 2008, 04:17:48 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 06, 2008, 04:07:05 PM

;)
anywhere I went I brought the bots. Playing for certain clubs in america and Dublin opened up a lot of contacts throughout the country.

not like them in-bred tyronies who never leave the parish... ;)

Lb do you have a bitch in every club and county? :D

Two Hands FFS

From Antrim Website

County: County Football Trials
06 November 2008
48 player attended tonights Senior Football Trials in Casement Park 

imtommygunn

TFAL as your current league position says - tradition means nothing ;)

I hope Bradley does well. I have reservations but at the end of the day in the championship he can do no worse than we have been doing and the league wasn't great either so things can only get better.

We need an all in from the Galls boys though. Hopefully he can get them and unveil a few others.

Minder

Quote from: nearlymad on November 06, 2008, 09:56:44 PM
Did the Mc Gourty's come out to play?

I believe "Shaws Rd" was dying his hair and couldnt make it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Quote from: Minder on November 06, 2008, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: nearlymad on November 06, 2008, 09:56:44 PM
Did the Mc Gourty's come out to play?

I believe "Shaws Rd" was dying his hair and couldnt make it.

Minder!!!

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"