Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Quote from: hardstation on November 02, 2008, 07:49:22 PM
In fairness, milltown, they've done very little (Ulster finalists last year, fair enough*) since 2005. A bit of a lame argument.

*They haven't been involved after Christmas since 2005. It's hardly been a long slog for them.

hardstation, if you were training as hard as these lads have you'd also welcome a break. playing Championship football in November on top of the league games does take its toll. they have been doing that since 2001!!! thats some slog, but they'd have it no other way. fairs dues Cavan Gaels

milltown row

cross are an amazing team, seen that first hand. my point is that the rest will do them good. i'm not making excuse about the match!!  again this is my opinion. it's not like the hurling where two games and your in All Ireland final.  but sure maybe thats just me after my tough match against the Aggies at Noon!!! Christ i'm Fu*ked and a top referee taking the match, non othert and Mr Matthews

milltown row

he would alright. paddy Ger alec Martin anton and another one, dont mind his name in that order.

ray did well, give us two penalties ;)

Minder

0-7 is brutal scoring on a grand day like today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

aroundincircles

Did st galls not fancy themselves for ulster???

aroundincircles

certainly cavan gaels no dummies just thought st galls would have enough at home{or near enough} to beat them. Would say they are very disapointed though.

milltown row

what ya on about?

his face looks familar though

Gold

shocked that Galls got beat yesterday--did anyone play well for them??
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

saffron sam2

Quote from: Hungry Exile on October 25, 2008, 12:30:53 AM
The rumour running round Belfast tonite is the whole Baker selection was a fix!!

Can anyone confirm:-
1. Baker was proposed by ... Cushendun - that great footballing giant of Antrim football
2. Baker was seconded by ... Cushendall - that other great footballing giant of Antrim football

3. The chairman & vice chairman of the selection committee were from ... yes you've guessed it Cushendun & Cushendall
4. Brady was not allowed to sit on the selection panel because ... he played under White
5. Brady's replacement on the selection panel played under Delargy

Is it all a conspiracy theory that:-
A) the hurlers of the glens have got one over on their footballing brothers
B) the country footballing bumpkins have got one over on their city cousins
C) Both A) & B)

;) ;)

I haven't posted on this before because I thought it was a wind-up. It appears that there may be some truth in the story. If either 1 or 2 (or indeed both) above is (are) correct, then this is an absolutely shocking turn of events. Would the Gaels of Ballygalget and Portaferry be able to nominate the new Down county football manager when Ross and DJ are inevitably gassed?

Shame on everyone involved in the appointment of the new Antrim senior football management team.

Also noticed Liam Bradley's two page spread in the IN today. Depressing reading throughout.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

I haven't time now, but I will go over it in more detail later. I'll also post it to allow other posters to make up their own minds and possibly open my own narrow one.

I was disturbed that he spoke so highly of Adrian McGuckin in one breath, then sadi McGuckin had assigned schoolboys to physically target oppostion players as soon as they got off their team bus for a McRory match.

There doesn't seem to be any real background or experience of coaching in Bradley's background to justify the appointment.

There was the liberal use of phrases like getting back respect for the Antrim jersey (which I agree with), but no extrapolation of these points to suggest how he intends to do it.

As a teacher and an Antrim Gael, I was deeply disappointed by the contents. A very gloomy future ahead for the saffrons. 
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Glensman

SS2 - where are you hearing these stories?
Where is it set in stone that a candidate for the Antrim job has to be nominated by a club? (a serious question, not a rhetorical one)

Woudn't agree with the rule if that was definitely the case - surely it should be open to all parties to apply?

Aside from whatever the rule is and the specific reasons for the decision when it was made the process certainly seems to have worked well and been adhered to so there should be credit where credit is due.

antrimexile

2 weeks ago i posted a query re Antrim V Kerry 1946.  No replies.
Does any one connected with Antrim football remember details relating to this?

As a refresher: Antrim with Kevin Armstrong etc... has developed the short hand pass.  Due to play Kerry in All ireland semi.  Kerry resort to violence.
Can anyone "add some more details to?"  Thanks.

culchy1

Quote from: Glensman on November 05, 2008, 03:19:54 PM
SS2 - where are you hearing these stories?
Where is it set in stone that a candidate for the Antrim job has to be nominated by a club? (a serious question, not a rhetorical one)

Woudn't agree with the rule if that was definitely the case - surely it should be open to all parties to apply?

Aside from whatever the rule is and the specific reasons for the decision when it was made the process certainly seems to have worked well and been adhered to so there should be credit where credit is due.

this question was asked on the official antrim website just after appointment was made, reply was that clubs didnt have to nominate baker. more or less that it was same situation as dinny cahill.

to be precise this is the admins reply:

There are no rules/regulations that stipulate that a prospective candidate needs to be nominated by a club. It may be custom and practice - that's all! Who do think nominated Dinny Cahill for example? .

hope theres a good turnout at trials tonight, as baker says hopefully if he gets 5 or 6 out of it, it has been a good exercise.

Glensman

And then I subsequently read last night in Big Liam's interview in the Irish News that "Once he was approached by a club asking if he would allow them to put his name forward".

Ah well, either way, here's hoping he leads us to the promised land.

PS Dinny Cahill may have been a different ball game (boom boom), I think he was specifically head hunted.