Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker

Quote from: bannside on July 09, 2023, 11:30:45 PM
Thanks DK, and fair play to Creggan for staying around and respecting the occasion. Great club.

I can tell you our club makes no apology in saying we partied hard tonight, massive night in and around our social club. We completely understand this dosent necessarily translate into championship success, but PG1 will mark this down as a considerable step on our journey from division three to the top of division one.
The poor PG1 cows

Won't be milked for a fortnight

Gold

Thanks DK, and fair play to Creggan for staying around and respecting the occasion. Great club.

I can tell you our club makes no apology in saying we partied hard tonight, massive night in and around our social club. We completely understand this dosent necessarily translate into championship success, but PG1 will mark this down as a considerable step on our journey from division three to the top of division one.

Maith sibh
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

paddyjohn

Congrats to all involved in PG1. A fine club with some fine members.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 07, 2023, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: Would ye whist on July 07, 2023, 09:54:52 AM
Incidents like the one in Cookstown last night show why comments like this are at best unwise

I didn't make the game on Wednesday due to family issues, however from speaking with a few in the town I believe McDermot was not too bad on Wednesday night, it was a game that got tight and had a bit of needle from the start from what I hear and he did well to contain it. I would not be his biggest fan either due to ills he has put on us in the past, however have a bit of wit and judge every game on its merits.

Interestingly I hear we kicked about 15 wides and I do not hear you calling out our players in relation to those.....................

Time for us all to take stock boys and have a good look at ourselves, that includes myself as I have been hard on MR2 and Toland in the past

Quote from: InnocentByStander on July 06, 2023, 10:35:59 AM
Serious question, how is McDermott a senior ref?

Here's the thing, and it's a personal view btw, I've no problems with passion, I've no problems with a player asking, I'll explain it, if I'm 'challenged' again it's moved forward. By the same token I've had some calls on reflection that, hmmm, maybe I could have blown or not blown, none of it is done on purpose or with malice. I really don't care who wins, it has no bearing on my day to day.

Most of the ref's are all ex players, supporters, managers, they know the craic, they are also human and make mistakes, when a player makes a mistake the manager does not start ranting at him or abuse him online, no, he goes over to him, encourages him to win the next ball and supports his next play.

The manager though or the coaches feel (not all by the way, some really decent coaches/managers out there) feels he needs to vent his frustrations at the ref, which could list a 100 phrases used in a game which just come out automatically regardless whether it's happened or not, the eyesight of some supporters is unreal from their position over 100 yards away to the refs position 5 yards away.

We are coming into the real deal part of the year, tight games with plenty at stake, preconceived views on ref's will always be there, but before you shout just take a few seconds, think about your actions, I wouldn't be surprised if there's not plenty of black cards for remonstrating with the ref and a few managers red carded and banned for few months.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but when the motto is give respect get respect, lets just say you can't give when you don't get...

EOC1923

I will echo the congratulations to Portglenone. They made hay while the sun shone and claimed their first league title. Add this to efforts to improve at underage level and vastly improved facilities. The more clubs do this the better as the end result can only ever be an improved footballing county.
IMO the so called split season has changed the league, now if any team, and this goes for St Johns, Lamh Dhearg, St Brigids, Aghagallon and even St Endas along with Cargin Creggan etc, concentrate on the league, discreetly minimise players on County duties, it is likely they would claim a league title. This is not a dig just an observation. Just depends how much you want a league title and for some others this will also be an important step. I just hope it is not to the detriment of our improving county senior team.

Ghost+Tommy

It does look like a dig EOC, considering a few off your clubmen walkedoff the panel to concentrate on the push for a league,I just wish our men would've walked off it,and we might not be holding the league up ATM and basically relagated, congratulations to casements,

bannside

Look, it's all mostly a bit of banter, and thanks all for the congratulations that have been offered. We never set out to win the league, to be honest John McKeever wanted to use the league to build a squad, make 25 players feel they have a part to play. Once we saw we had a fighting chance of winning it, yes there was a big charge these last few weeks to get over the line and get some kind of a monkey off our back.  But that was only a recent thing.

Sportacus

Well done to Portglenone.  A Div 1 title is something any club would want. Best team in the league, so fair play.

SaffronSports

Well done to Portglenone. There's plenty of pots and pans to play for in the GAA which is part of the beauty of the sport as even those who don't reach particularly high levels can have an achievable target.

For club footballers in Antrim, Portglenone have won the second most important one in the county and that should be celebrated. They'll no doubt have aspirations of lifting the biggest of them all along with a couple of other clubs. It might not be this year or it might not be next but they'll feel it's more achievable having got over their latest barrier. 

EOC1923

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on July 10, 2023, 03:22:29 PM
It does look like a dig EOC, considering a few off your clubmen walkedoff the panel to concentrate on the push for a league,I just wish our men would've walked off it,and we might not be holding the league up ATM and basically relagated, congratulations to casements,
No definitely not a dig, thought I explained it well, not true about our lads leaving either for that reason. Sean in particular left as he was getting no minutes at all. Jamie was injured, and honestly don't know why Pat left it. Our boys go to win every game, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.
Looking forward to the rest of the season now and the championship.

referee

Creggan or Aghagallon for the championship, honestly think it'll come from that 2,out off curiosity BS,has JMcK added to his management team this year ??Peter the Great and KMcG still there?? Btw congratulations on the win

breakingball

Cargin 5/2
Creggan 10/3
Portglenone 6/1
Lamh Dhearg 13/2
St Brigids 13/2
Aghagallon 15/2
St Johns 12/1
O Donovan Rossa 14/1
St Galls 16/1
Naomh Eanna 20/1
Dunloy 33/1
Tir Na Nog 50/1
Ahoghill 66/1
Moneyglass 100/1

Wouldn't argue too much with these odds from paddy power.

Cargin are still number 1.

If Creggan get their full team out they are number 2.

Portglenone obviously up there.

Lamh dhearg haven't gone away and could beat anyone on their day.

Aghagallon and St Brigids will be hard beat too.

The rest won't make it past the quarters.

barnish oggie

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 09, 2023, 07:20:13 PM
Randalstown playing the 2 teams that are safe is an advantage for them also.

I hope so.

Head to head with Moneyglass would give them a 1 point advantage.

So we need 2 points from the last 2 games to be safe, assuming Moneyglass beat St Endas in their last game.

If St Endas won it, then they go to St Galls with still a chance if we don't get a point at Rossa.

St Galls and St Brides just need to play out a draw in the next game to make both of them safe.

Still a lot to keep us interested in the bottom half for another week or two.

A good few of our lads are away on holidays this week so hopefully they don't land back the worse for wear!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: breakingball on July 10, 2023, 11:26:23 PM
Cargin 5/2
Creggan 10/3
Portglenone 6/1
Lamh Dhearg 13/2
St Brigids 13/2
Aghagallon 15/2
St Johns 12/1
O Donovan Rossa 14/1
St Galls 16/1
Naomh Eanna 20/1
Dunloy 33/1
Tir Na Nog 50/1
Ahoghill 66/1
Moneyglass 100/1

Wouldn't argue too much with these odds from paddy power.

Cargin are still number 1.

If Creggan get their full team out they are number 2.

Portglenone obviously up there.

Lamh dhearg haven't gone away and could beat anyone on their day.

Aghagallon and St Brigids will be hard beat too.

The rest won't make it past the quarters.

Now i know the bottom 3 wont win the championship, but not sure how are dunloy 33/1 !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

Not sure how aghagallon haven't got better odds either. Finalists last 2 years and some good wins in the league. They've 2 of the better forward in the county who missed a lot and now will be back. Definitely wouldn't put st brigids ahead of them or with Ryan Murray injured Lamh Dhearg either.