Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Surely the Derry team could use these lads that aren't getting picked?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2023, 08:28:53 PM
Surely the Derry team could use these lads that aren't getting picked?

No those are Brigid's lads...

Cargin can use them in a squad that is utilising all the young and talented like Sean, and Pat....
Conhuir Johnston and Benen Kelly....

Hard enuf to claim a first team slot rather that bench warming.......

Possibly why Pat returned to club duties.....

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: bannside on May 23, 2023, 07:20:53 PM
Andy has picked things up really well despite a dozen absentees and half a dozen injuries.

The man has practically  built a new squad, and achieved targets for the year, how hard can it be for some people to be gracious enough to say well done and keep it going.

He's a shitebag if you ask me stringing young fellas along too

imtommygunn

Is it not the same issue in any county though? It's just more apparent now with more games.

Saffsof82

Quote from: EOC13 on May 24, 2023, 07:41:11 AM
Quote from: bannside on May 23, 2023, 07:20:53 PM
Andy has picked things up really well despite a dozen absentees and half a dozen injuries.

The man has practically  built a new squad, and achieved targets for the year, how hard can it be for some people to be gracious enough to say well done and keep it going.

He's a shitebag if you ask me stringing young fellas along too

iTs hard to get this right I'd say for the manager, seems a few lads only in there to help training numbers then you look at Ronan Boyle who never got a sniff during the league but has got his opportunity now in the TT cup and grabbed it with both hands, has been excellent in last two games.

imtommygunn

Bang on. County football unsustainable in current form and they just keep throwing more games in no matter what. It's impossible to keep a squad content.

bannside

Great post Duine. You can understand Cargin being a bit sore that they don't have players getting game time, them being at top end of Antrim football for a long time.

And I agree that its a hard slog for players falling between two stools, no game minutes for county and zero for club either. Players need to make their own mind up on where the tipping point is here, but as you say this is not particular to one club or one county, its widespread.

Adam Loughran and Dermot McAleese missed most of the league, but are playing out of their skin now for the county. Dommo has stepped up after enduring a horrific year of false promises under previous management, Mick too in goals, and how Ruari Mc Cann (St Marys) was overlooked...I can't find the right words to use.

It's a moving feast and players need to realise they might have to do a year or two apprenticeship, it happens in every county. Ps - Ronan Boyle an excellent example. Hardly kicked a ball in the league, but showed what he can do in training and in challenge games. That has to be rewarded as well regardless of what club you are attached to.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on May 24, 2023, 11:08:40 AM
Great post Duine. You can understand Cargin being a bit sore that they don't have players getting game time, them being at top end of Antrim football for a long time.

And I agree that its a hard slog for players falling between two stools, no game minutes for county and zero for club either. Players need to make their own mind up on where the tipping point is here, but as you say this is not particular to one club or one county, its widespread.

Adam Loughran and Dermot McAleese missed most of the league, but are playing out of their skin now for the county. Dommo has stepped up after enduring a horrific year of false promises under previous management, Mick too in goals, and how Ruari Mc Cann (St Marys) was overlooked...I can't find the right words to use.

It's a moving feast and players need to realise they might have to do a year or two apprenticeship, it happens in every county. Ps - Ronan Boyle an excellent example. Hardly kicked a ball in the league, but showed what he can do in training and in challenge games. That has to be rewarded as well regardless of what club you are attached to.

Jeez another dig at past management...and sure the all Ireland medals the hold will jump out of their hands......

Wonder who signed up the present custodian.......

Milltown Row2

Someone obsessed with medals and relating them to management achievements.. crazy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Jesus CB is very sensitive when it comes to previous management! Why??

Would ye whist

Being a fantastic player and All Ireland winner does not make you a great a manager

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 24, 2023, 12:53:09 PM

Jeez another dig at past management...and sure the all Ireland medals the hold will jump out of their hands......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 24, 2023, 01:06:43 PM
Being a fantastic player and All Ireland winner does not make you a great a manager

I know plenty of lads with many championship medals that wouldn't get on our thirds at the time

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 01:16:16 PM

I know plenty of lads with many championship medals that wouldn't get on our thirds at the time
Similarly, there is lads getting on for the last 10mins for Antrim seniors that wouldn't make our club senior team

InnocentByStander

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 24, 2023, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 01:16:16 PM

Similarly, there is lads getting on for the last 10mins for Antrim seniors that wouldn't make our club senior team

Theres a number of players STARTING who wouldn't get anywhere near it

EOC1923

Yes I agree, Boyle, Finnegan(s) and Hynds.