Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Saul goodman on March 05, 2023, 10:13:54 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 05, 2023, 10:05:39 PM
10 am games are sh1te. End of discussion.

Games should be 2pm and 3.30pm.

10 am is good that it gets it out the way instead of waiting about to 3/4

The downside is if you are a team with some distance to travel to PG1 if you are aghagallon or even a Belfast club you need to be up and away early

Afaik...clubs can re arrange the throw in time  between them , rather than go for 10am

Saffsof82

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 05, 2023, 10:46:58 PM
Surely today is an outlier. We aren't a bad team overnight and there were lots of factors around the team today which will have had an impact. We have a two week gap now to work on structure, game plan and hopefully get some injured players back. I think we can give Cavan a game at home on 18th and yes, it will likely come down to beating Longford on the 26th. Chatting briefly to Andy McE on Friday; his passion for the team and insights are impressive. I wouldn't hold up today as a true barometer of where we are.

Very true. Sometimes shit just happens to put it politely.

Saffsof82

Listening to midlands radio today it seemed we were over reliant on playing a long ball into a very isolated R McCann at FF. He has been great for us this season but today it sounded that every ball was played into him and we had no build up play or runners. Been a good variety of attack previously so don't know why it changed today

Christmas Lights

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 05, 2023, 08:20:53 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on March 05, 2023, 07:59:39 PM
Seems to be that way,  would any other county in Ireland have started playing league club football yet bar Antrim? I could be wrong but it seems much earlier certainly than any other county in Ulster?  League games at 10am next couple of weeks as well is just downright disrespectful is it not?

Why or how are 10am games disrespectful?

You don't think that organising all county senior league games at 10am on a Sunday morning has that feeling of contempt? It's earlier than go games on a Saturday ffs.

bannside

CB - what do you mean we can all blame Sean Og. Struggling to get my head around that? Care to explain where that came from!!

Hearing now that x 2 Downeys may not be the actual right number of transfers to Brigids. Anyone willing to tidy this up. Brendan maybe??

That was a shattering result yesterday, hard to know how much long term damage has been done psychologically, and Cavan aren't going to show us any mercy in their promotion hunt.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on March 06, 2023, 08:48:28 AM
CB - what do you mean we can all blame Sean Og. Struggling to get my head around that? Care to explain where that came from!!

Hearing now that x 2 Downeys may not be the actual right number of transfers to Brigids. Anyone willing to tidy this up. Brendan maybe??

That was a shattering result yesterday, hard to know how much long term damage has been done psychologically, and Cavan aren't going to show us any mercy in their promotion hunt.
They'll need more than the Downeys judging by that result yesterday. A couple of late goals making it look respectable. 

Caesar

To be fair, St Brigids are missing all their Antrim and Derry county players today

NatSoSaff

Funny Antrim and Derry were missing their st.brigids players too

Truth hurts

How have the Downey's come to transfer?

This is a very sad situation and how a club like Lavey can let this happen does not sit with me. When you think of Lavey you think of Henry and Seamus Downey and the McGurks in the famous red and black from 91 when they won the All-Ireland like Down. Its not right.

ck

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 06, 2023, 09:48:39 AM

This is a very sad situation and how a club like Lavey can let this happen does not sit with me. When you think of Lavey you think of Henry and Seamus Downey and the McGurks in the famous red and black from 91 when they won the All-Ireland like Down. Its not right.

Couldn't agree more. I had heard from a Lavey member that there was no-way they were going to let it happen but it sounds like it might be? No matter what the row was about, your club is bigger than your pride/ego. Club should always win. Running away to another club is no answer.

Not sure if it'll help St.Brigids in the longer term either. Fit them better to focus on bringing their younger players through.

geezer

I can see Derry going deep again this year so will probably only have them come the championship.

What do management say to the lads that will inevitably be dropped when they come in? " thanks very much lads for playing the league but theres a few boys from another club taking your spot". Stinks.

country bumpkin

Quote from: ck on March 06, 2023, 10:44:05 AM

Couldn't agree more. I had heard from a Lavey member that there was no-way they were going to let it happen but it sounds like it might be? No matter what the row was about, your club is bigger than your pride/ego. Club should always win. Running away to another club is no answer.

Not sure if it'll help St.Brigids in the longer term either. Fit them better to focus on bringing their younger players through.

Indeed, Brigid's are the reigning county minor champs and beaten finalists 2020/21 a club with a vast resevoir of youth available.......

Previous comment right in the mark.....

toby47

Yeah but when the Downeys & Mcgurks fall out it was going to be an explosion and a half.

realisticsaff

Quote from: geezer on March 06, 2023, 11:59:55 AM

What do management say to the lads that will inevitably be dropped when they come in? " thanks very much lads for playing the league but theres a few boys from another club taking your spot". Stinks.

St Brigids strike me as a club that dont give a toss where their players come from they'd be more than happy with a starting team of 15 blow ins.

bannside

Cruel. The ones I spoke to were well aware of that possibility and said it wasn't sitting easily with many club members. Re players missing out on gametime as a result....maybe they had a collective vote and decided to give it their blessing.

There's other extenuating factors...such as strong established family links. Their grandfather was a forming member of St Brigids. That may have carried some weight.

No point in jumping on here without a bit of balance on the subject.