Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Seems to be that way,  would any other county in Ireland have started playing league club football yet bar Antrim? I could be wrong but it seems much earlier certainly than any other county in Ulster?  League games at 10am next couple of weeks as well is just downright disrespectful is it not?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on March 05, 2023, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on March 05, 2023, 07:49:24 PM
Why have Antrim club leagues started so early? Also, is it not shambolic having the league starting on the same day the county is actually playing? League games at 10am the next couple of Sundays as well.  How come Antrim county board hate club football?

We are a hurling county.....have been for a long time....simple as....

When one team is regularly in div 3 or 4 and the other is in div 2 or 1 that generally gives ya (if ya are clever) an idea where to put your eggs?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on March 05, 2023, 07:59:39 PM
Seems to be that way,  would any other county in Ireland have started playing league club football yet bar Antrim? I could be wrong but it seems much earlier certainly than any other county in Ulster?  League games at 10am next couple of weeks as well is just downright disrespectful is it not?

Why? What actual impact does it have on the senior county team?

Was speaking to someone today at 10am and he was glad their game was that early
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: Christmas Lights on March 05, 2023, 07:59:39 PM

Why or how are 10am games disrespectful?

realisticsaff

1 win in 7 under Mcentee in all Competitions. Grim.

ck

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 05, 2023, 08:26:35 PM

There were positive signs last week but today the wheels came off in glorious fashion. Players downed tools.
I can't remember a hammering like it and it'll have done serious damage, no doubt about it.

bannside

A manager who presents a team to be so impressive against Down, Tipp and Fermanagh, (we created 3 goal chances against Offaly too that should have been enough to clinch the points) must be sitting in Meath right now thinking the same thing.

I may well be in a minority and I'm only one opinion, but like Cork beat Limerick by 24 last week in Div 2, or Liverpool beat Man Utd 7 - 0 earlier this evening, I prefer to take the view that in any given season you'll get a couple of results that completely buck the trend, either in a positive way (we could have beat Tipp by 15 away) or like today when we were against a seasoned Div 2 team and we were depleted by injuries. Thats on top of the well documented list of unavailables.

Things haven't changed in that we need to go to Longford in our last game and get a result to have a chance of staying up. Same as hurlers against Laois. That's where we are at, sensationalism or faux surprise won't change that.

ck

Who was missing today from the Fermanagh match?

bannside

Same starting 15 CK except Sean O Neill in for injured Marc Jordan.

paddyjohn

10 am games are sh1te. End of discussion.

Games should be 2pm and 3.30pm.

Saul goodman

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 05, 2023, 10:05:39 PM
10 am games are sh1te. End of discussion.

Games should be 2pm and 3.30pm.

10 am is good that it gets it out the way instead of waiting about to 3/4

The downside is if you are a team with some distance to travel to PG1 if you are aghagallon or even a Belfast club you need to be up and away early

country bumpkin

Jeez, and the Mc Ginley management team were shark food last season when relegation was not an issue......

But we can always blame Sean og.....

imtommygunn

Quote from: ck on March 05, 2023, 08:52:53 PM
Quote from: realisticsaff on March 05, 2023, 08:26:35 PM

There were positive signs last week but today the wheels came off in glorious fashion. Players downed tools.
I can't remember a hammering like it and it'll have done serious damage, no doubt about it.

31 points is going to seriously demoralise. I don't know if I've ever seen us beat by that much and I have seen some bad ones, like the rest of us, over the years.

Still, like bs said, the key thing is the Longford game and that doesn't change. Even if Longford win the next day if we took two points of them it would go head to head. (That is assuming Cavan beat us and tbh their odds will be ridiculous after that match today and given they are probably better than Westmeath).

So it's all about the Longford match but the Cavan game may not be pretty :(

Saffsof82

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 05, 2023, 08:22:56 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on March 04, 2023, 07:35:02 PM
Left to concentrate on the March Div 1 league fixtures 🙈

Play for your club in the league on a Sunday or play for your county in a friendly away to meath in a nothing game on a Friday night i know what I'm picking

Not a challenge game, Leo Murphy cup

BrendanAntrim

Surely today is an outlier. We aren't a bad team overnight and there were lots of factors around the team today which will have had an impact. We have a two week gap now to work on structure, game plan and hopefully get some injured players back. I think we can give Cavan a game at home on 18th and yes, it will likely come down to beating Longford on the 26th. Chatting briefly to Andy McE on Friday; his passion for the team and insights are impressive. I wouldn't hold up today as a true barometer of where we are.