Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Fair play you put a team up at least EOC...and you got your man in as well! Jamie a goodun alright, just needs a good run without injury and he's definitely in the mix.

Paddy Mc Aleer also an option for full back, even though he won't thank me! Got the hands, the man marking and the football ability to get a few good years out of him in there.

To your team EOC I'd have Adam and Dommo a bit further up the pecking order, and I rate Eoghan Mc Cabe as a tidy footballer but please not as corner back. Always rated Conor Small too but he's gone off the radar a bit, maybe a fresh start under new management would help.

Agree about Cahir Donnelly, he can push Peter Healy or Paddy Mc C for a starting berth in the corner. A cert for the future and I like Conall Mc Girr too as a prospect but he's a year or two out atm.

We have a panel for sure, it's sorting the deck chairs out in the right order.  Andy will probably not get it spot on for a while, so we need to be patient. He's the guy picking the team.

bannside

On another topic altogether, I was talking to St Brigids chairman yesterday, the gentleman that is Eunan Conway, and got an inside track on the latest developments regarding the Downey brothers.

St Brigids official position is that they are in no way out to poach players, in fact they are doing whatever they can to facilitate an in house settlement in Lavey. No official inter county transfer request has been received and from what I gather should that happen (in the event of Lavey not reaching an in-house settlement) then should an official approach be received by St Brigids, their committee would then officially discuss it -  if and when appropriate - and the feeling is the club would prefer to stick to its own in house juvenile development structure.

Which is fair play to St Brigids in my book and Cargins too if there were initial discussions there as well.

Kidder81

Why would St Brigids be helping to facilitate an in house settlement in Lavey ?

bannside

Maybe as part of the GAA brotherhood Kidder. This runs very deep so best to let those actively involved sort it out. Some things are more important than football.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on January 09, 2023, 03:26:08 PM
On another topic altogether, I was talking to St Brigids chairman yesterday, the gentleman that is Eunan Conway, and got an inside track on the latest developments regarding the Downey brothers.

St Brigids official position is that they are in no way out to poach players, in fact they are doing whatever they can to facilitate an in house settlement in Lavey. No official inter county transfer request has been received and from what I gather should that happen (in the event of Lavey not reaching an in-house settlement) then should an official approach be received by St Brigids, their committee would then officially discuss it -  if and when appropriate - and the feeling is the club would prefer to stick to its own in house juvenile development structure.

Which is fair play to St Brigids in my book and Cargins too if there were initial discussions there as well.
I'm sure Lavey dont need the help of another club to sort out an internal fallout. The Downey lads will be going nowhere, new chairman in place and two good Lavey men in charge of their senior team now. No way they will make that step down, Cargin were never involved in this despite what other posters might indicate

Milltown Row2

Have been involved with internal disputes with lads at a time years ago, its mentally draining and sometimes not worth the effort, if your heart is not in it then it will always lead to discord within the team, never any winners.

So hopefully these lads will find some sort of resolution and be comfortable with their call and row in behind the new set up..

If not Naomh Gall are interested  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

St Galls surely will have a resurgence down the tracks. Too much pedigree floating about that club not to have a few chips of the old blocks in years to come. Just need to get the right men involved and I'm sure that's in situ.

realisticsaff

Quote from: EOC1923 on January 09, 2023, 01:18:08 PM
I didn't get to Armagh but I watched online. I attended yesterdays game. Seems McEntees player of choice is a tall player regardless of footballing ability. Finnegan at centre back or the big lad Dowling aren't intercounty standard footballers, and never will be either.

Not too name names because it's unfair but I counted 5 players who aren't county standard.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: realisticsaff on January 09, 2023, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on January 09, 2023, 01:18:08 PM
I didn't get to Armagh but I watched online. I attended yesterdays game. Seems McEntees player of choice is a tall player regardless of footballing ability. Finnegan at centre back or the big lad Dowling aren't intercounty standard footballers, and never will be either.

Not too name names because it's unfair but I counted 5 players who aren't county standard.

If you watched us against Cavan in the championship last year I could name 15 that weren't county standard
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wolfetones

Quote from: bannside on January 09, 2023, 03:26:08 PM

And I'm sure Eunan is delighted for you to broadcast all that to the world.

Kidder81

Quote from: bannside on January 09, 2023, 03:39:43 PM
Maybe as part of the GAA brotherhood Kidder. This runs very deep so best to let those actively involved sort it out. Some things are more important than football.

Ah come on that's absolute nonsense, so St Brigids, who have been heavily linked with these two players transferring to them are mediating but have no interest in taking them ?

I have never heard the like of that

bannside

What I'm saying is St Brigids don't have an official position on it, and for the removal of any doubt they are not proactively encouraging this. Their preferred solution is its sorted out in Lavey and with a new management team and chairman. Should it not be sorted out in Lavey its not a given that St Brigids will facilitate it as many in their club prefer to develop their own players. That's all.

Kidder81

Quote from: bannside on January 09, 2023, 09:54:57 PM
What I'm saying is St Brigids don't have an official position on it, and for the removal of any doubt they are not proactively encouraging this. Their preferred solution is its sorted out in Lavey and with a new management team and chairman. Should it not be sorted out in Lavey its not a given that St Brigids will facilitate it as many in their club prefer to develop their own players. That's all.

Fair enough but I would edit your post above

"in fact they are doing whatever they can to facilitate an in house settlement in Lavey"

bannside

Fair enough I could have worded it better.

NatSoSaff

1) Mick Byrne (great young Keeper) but Jinny McNabb should be in that panel and team.

2) Patrick McCormick
3) Paddy McAleer
4) Peter Healy

5) Dermot McAleese
6) Eoghan McCabe
7) Sean O'Neill

8) Kevin Small
9) Marc Jordan

10) Jamie Gribben
11) Pat Shivers
12) Patrick McBride

13) Dominic McEnhill
14) Ryan Murray
15) Odhran Eastwood

I would go with this. There are good footballers and good balance throughout each line. McAleer is a gamble worth taking at full back. Jamie Gribben can provide great cover and intelligence as a sweeper when required. McEnhill can drop out to half forward and Shivers and Murray can rotate positions throughout the game. I for one am really looking forward to the Offaly game to see who we have back for selection and who McEntee goes with. We should be well enough equipped to keep our heads above Longford, Fermanagh and Tipperary this year and if we do, it's a positive year.