Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnish oggie

Quote from: Spike on June 10, 2022, 01:57:14 PM
Yes time to draw a line under this folks.   Some will feel progress was made over the past 2 years culminating in comfortable survival in Div 3 with anyone of talent in Antrim on the squad (one i agree with), others will feel it ended as a shambles with many leaving the panel and an inept performance in the Tailteann cup summarising the lack of progress.

Agree to disagree but its over now and we move on......together,

My hope is the county board go for the best man for the job and not the cheap option.  The hurlers get managers from munster and other strongholds so why are we not afforded the same?  It is hard to know who is seriously in for the antrim job, and while we obviously don't have the budget of other counties we should still be aiming high. I like the sound of people of the calibre of Paddy Tally, Peter Canavan or Steven Poacher etc but how realistic that is is another thing.

In regard to the senior panel, these players have only so much more learning they can do due to their age and no superstars are upcoming so they need a system to work to and a massive upsurge in physicality to counteract their limitations of decision making.

After that it is a massive investment in nursery to minors, particularly u12s and below.  Difficult i know but more coaches with a suitable knowledge level (usually attained through courses) as opposed to the lone but hopeful parent, with little football knowledge  who got landed with the u12s team because no one else wanted the job.

We are at that juncture where standing still or just doing enough to get by will leave us having this same conversation in 20 years time (Note we have had this  same conversation for the past 20 years!).  We think we are doing enough but we are really just getting by.  We are doing no more than anyone else in any other county and that is simply not enough.                   If players acquire the core skills early, the physicality programme from u14s upwards will put them on par with the tyrones of this world by the time they are u17.         A new County-wide Antrim-Specific system developed with full club buy in, aided by our primary schools, assisted heavily by Gaelfast funding  / coaching presence is needed urgently.  A development plan that every club must follow (to the best they can).         it'll take time but will be worth it. Have we in Antrim the patience for that?

Well said Spike, especially that last paragraph.

Couldn't agree more.

NatSoSaff

And still we have no idea about the DOF, his strategy, remit, current focus and priorities etc. Does anyone know what that role is about yet?

country bumpkin

Quote from: NatSoSaff on June 10, 2022, 02:27:42 PM
And still we have no idea about the DOF, his strategy, remit, current focus and priorities etc. Does anyone know what that role is about yet?

Have we a DOF at present.....?

bannside

Great post Spike. Happy to move on.

bannside

Re DOF, the post was awarded to GA, maybe a little prematurely or without necessary understanding or agreed level of buy in. Possibly GA's personal situation has changed, and if so the lack of activity (or communication thereof) is understandable. Best not to make rash judgements in this regard.

County officers are aware that this is a priority so we should expect movement in this area - exactly when it's hard to know.

On this point (juvenile development) apparently there is good quality coaching going on every Saturday at Dunsilly, where some excellent higher profile coaches are circulating between the squads and apparently the quality is of a high level. I plan to nip up and take a peek - a very welcome development I'm led to believe.

That, and apparently a decent ongoing push from county officers to source the next man, gives cause for genuine optimism.

barnish oggie

Quote from: bannside on June 10, 2022, 03:08:00 PM
Re DOF, the post was awarded to GA, maybe a little prematurely or without necessary understanding or agreed level of buy in. Possibly GA's personal situation has changed, and if so the lack of activity (or communication thereof) is understandable. Best not to make rash judgements in this regard.

County officers are aware that this is a priority so we should expect movement in this area - exactly when it's hard to know.

On this point (juvenile development) apparently there is good quality coaching going on every Saturday at Dunsilly, where some excellent higher profile coaches are circulating between the squads and apparently the quality is of a high level. I plan to nip up and take a peek - a very welcome development I'm led to believe.

That, and apparently a decent ongoing push from county officers to source the next man, gives cause for genuine optimism.

Yeah they had Conleith Gilligan up here at Dunsilly the other week with the development squads.

I missed it unfortunately but i've heard it was a very good session for the lads.

bannside

Indeed Barnish. Conleith some operator too, tied in with Kilcoo for a couple of years. Heard Kevin Bradys name mentioned as well. Good initiative.

country bumpkin

Had a good yarn with GA a few weeks past and he told me he was aware of the negative comments directed towards him.
He told me personal circumstances had contrived to make him step away from that post a good time since.

Has he returned since to the role or are apologies forthcoming....?
A great servant to club and county.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 11, 2022, 08:48:11 AM
Had a good yarn with GA a few weeks past and he told me he was aware of the negative comments directed towards him.
He told me personal circumstances had contrived to make him step away from that post a good time since.

Has he returned since to the role or are apologies forthcoming....?
A great servant to club and county.

Are the Directors Of Hurling and Football paid roles within the County?

bannside

No, they are voluntary. I'd imagine expenses are available, not sure if NP collects his for hurling.

Watched an exhibition of underage football last night at an under 13 game. Really happy with what's coming through here, the drive started by Paul Mc Keever (RIP) and half a dozen very committed others at under 6 now starting to flourish. Very content with the conveyor belt that's building nicely in PG1.

Milltown Row2

It's great that there's a change on the board for some who would have no problems giving volunteers within the county stick and now backing them and looking for apologies.

Let's keep it going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffsof82

HOMEFIT ACFL DIV 1
Sun 12 Jun 20221 00 PMKickhams GAC Creggan---v---Roger Casements PortglenoneKickhams GAC CregganBrendan Toland
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMNaomh Eoin---v---O`Donovan RossaCorrigan ParkDarren McKeown
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMClann na hÉireann Carraigin---v---Lamh DheargErin's Own CarginColm McDonald
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMNaomh Bríd---v---Naomh ÉannaMusgrave ParkConall Roberts
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMGort na Móna CLG---v---Naomh Muire Achadh EochaillePáirc Mhic IonnrachtaighCathal Mc Dermott
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMNaomh Gall---v---Tír na nÓg RandalstownNaomh GallKevin Parke

lOT OF TIGHTS GAMES TOMORROW, THAT ST GALLS TIR NO NOG A HUGE GAME, A WIN WOULD PROBABLY BE ENOUGH TO SECURE GALLS BUT IF RANDALSTOWN WIN THAT WILL BE SOME SCAMBLE FOR POITS FOR GALLS, AHOGHILL AND TIR NO NOG OVER THE LAST FEW GAMES.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on June 11, 2022, 10:06:05 AM
No, they are voluntary. I'd imagine expenses are available, not sure if NP collects his for hurling.

Watched an exhibition of underage football last night at an under 13 game. Really happy with what's coming through here, the drive started by Paul Mc Keever (RIP) and half a dozen very committed others at under 6 now starting to flourish. Very content with the conveyor belt that's building nicely in PG1.
An excellent team BS I saw them myself 2 weeks ago, possibly one of best in ulster at this age serous credit to their coaches. Is this a one off group or what are your 7s 9s, 11s 15s and 17s like in comparison.

Would ye whist

Very strange appointment having McDermot reffing the GNM v Ahoghill game, surely Ahoghill dropping points would do TNN a big favour

Quote from: Saffsof82 on June 11, 2022, 10:46:34 AM
HOMEFIT ACFL DIV 1
Sun 12 Jun 20221 00 PMKickhams GAC Creggan---v---Roger Casements PortglenoneKickhams GAC CregganBrendan Toland
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMNaomh Eoin---v---O`Donovan RossaCorrigan ParkDarren McKeown
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMClann na hÉireann Carraigin---v---Lamh DheargErin's Own CarginColm McDonald
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMNaomh Bríd---v---Naomh ÉannaMusgrave ParkConall Roberts
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMGort na Móna CLG---v---Naomh Muire Achadh EochaillePáirc Mhic IonnrachtaighCathal Mc Dermott
Sun 12 Jun 20222 00 PMNaomh Gall---v---Tír na nÓg RandalstownNaomh GallKevin Parke

lOT OF TIGHTS GAMES TOMORROW, THAT ST GALLS TIR NO NOG A HUGE GAME, A WIN WOULD PROBABLY BE ENOUGH TO SECURE GALLS BUT IF RANDALSTOWN WIN THAT WILL BE SOME SCAMBLE FOR POITS FOR GALLS, AHOGHILL AND TIR NO NOG OVER THE LAST FEW GAMES.

bannside

Only ones and twos coming off the next couple or three minor teams but then it really starts to ramp up as the first fruit from the new development push starts to emerge.

I've said here quite a few times - anything happening at senior level in PG1 plays second fiddle to work going into juveniles. Casements future is very bright, I have no hesitation in saying that. Conveyor belt probably has X3/4 the number of potentially elite players in the system compared to a decade ago at the same age. And it's truly the only show in town around here.