Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 11, 2022, 03:01:01 PM
Lads I really feel for you here. Some sly strokes being pulled here. This should have been above board, time given to boards to think it over, and so on. But fellas, if we're being honest, Corrigan isn't big enough. What is the capacity that they'll allow for a Championship match (that is signed off for safety etc.)? I see a figure of 2600 being thrown around. That simply is not enough for Ulster games. Cavan have a very good support, and will travel for an Ulster Championship match. How can you possibly even accommodate even a fraction of the supporters who will want to go? I've been to every game this year, and I'd be concerned I'd not get a ticket once you remove the usual honchos, home fans, players families etc. 2600 isn't enough, lets be realistic here. This isn't like Newbridge where they can take something like 8000. It's looking a grand ground with the work done, but simply too small.

3700 IS THE CAPACITY OF CORRIGAN SET BT BELFAST CITY COUNCIL. THERE IS NO MINIMUM CAPACITY FOR A COUNTY GROUND, CORRIGAN TICKS ALL THE REQUIRED BOXES NOW THE UPGRADES HAVE BEEN MADE.

Dreadnought

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 11, 2022, 03:32:21 PM
Lads I really feel for you here. Some sly strokes being pulled here. This should have been above board, time given to boards to think it over, and so on. But fellas, if we're being honest, Corrigan isn't big enough. What is the capacity that they'll allow for a Championship match (that is signed off for safety etc.)? I see a figure of 2600 being thrown around. That simply is not enough for Ulster games. Cavan have a very good support, and will travel for an Ulster Championship match. How can you possibly even accommodate even a fraction of the supporters who will want to go? I've been to every game this year, and I'd be concerned I'd not get a ticket once you remove the usual honchos, home fans, players families etc. 2600 isn't enough, lets be realistic here. This isn't like Newbridge where they can take something like 8000. It's looking a grand ground with the work done, but simply too small.

There's thousands upon thousands who would like all Ireland final tickets too. Croker doesn't hold 200,000 unfortunately.
Get online when the tickets are out or contact your club committee once they're released. I'm sure you'll be grand. As for Cavan supporters, tough shi*%, It's an Antrim home fixture as per luck of the draw.

You cannot seriously be trying to compare a tiny ground capacity with an All Ireland final, are you?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 11, 2022, 03:44:27 PM

3700 IS THE CAPACITY OF CORRIGAN SET BT BELFAST CITY COUNCIL. THERE IS NO MINIMUM CAPACITY FOR A COUNTY GROUND, CORRIGAN TICKS ALL THE REQUIRED BOXES NOW THE UPGRADES HAVE BEEN MADE.

Why are you shouting? Where you getting that figure from? All figures I've seen are 2600, but happy to be proven wrong if that is not the case. That would be better alright. Can the ground sufficiently hold that, with security and such? It's sometimes not just what the ground holds, but parking, emergency evacuation etc.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Sportacus on March 11, 2022, 03:31:51 PM
It's exactly like Newbridge or nowhere, just scaled down a bit, but exactly the same principle.  Kildare were drawn at home to Mayo but in theory the ground wasn't big enough. What's the difference?

Not when it's a third the size of an already small ground. You'd be hard pushed to fit in the basic ticket needs here, never mind the expectation beyond that. It's just not big enough. Cavan have other county grounds, but have given up home advantage in the past when Breffni wasn't available, as simply put they understand capacity needs.

bannside

Itchy, our ire is directed at the root of the problem, the idea not to have it played at an Antrim venue was instigated by officials from your county, so take this u with them.
I'm on record here as saying proper Cavan Gaels won't even support this. As for the advice to get our house in order, well hopefully we will be in division two in a month. That's a start and on the grounds front, you can co blame Ulster Council for some inept management that has quite ironically led to this situation.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: bannside on March 11, 2022, 04:11:54 PM
Itchy, our ire is directed at the root of the problem, the idea not to have it played at an Antrim venue was instigated by officials from your county, so take this u with them.
I'm on record here as saying proper Cavan Gaels won't even support this. As for the advice to get our house in order, well hopefully we will be in division two in a month. That's a start and on the grounds front, you can co blame Ulster Council for some inept management that has quite ironically led to this situation.

Well said BS

Saffsof82

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 11, 2022, 04:02:22 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 11, 2022, 03:44:27 PM

Why are you shouting? Where you getting that figure from? All figures I've seen are 2600, but happy to be proven wrong if that is not the case. That would be better alright. Can the ground sufficiently hold that, with security and such? It's sometimes not just what the ground holds, but parking, emergency evacuation etc.

3700 IS THE OFFICIAL GROUND CAPACITY GIVEN TO CORRIGAN BY BCCC, THE GROUND COULD HOLD FAR MORE AND DID SO IN DAYS GONE BY BUT THAT IS THE FIGURE WE HAVE TO WORK WITH NOWADAYS TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION ALL THE H&S FACTORS. AN OFFICIAL FROM BCC ATTENDS ALL THE COUNTY GAMES AT CORRIGAN TO MAKE SURE PROCEDURES ARE FOLLOWED CORRECTLY AND BIG MARTIN RUNS THE EVENTS TEAM THEIR LIKE CLOCKWORK. FINE GROUND TO WATCH A GAME IN.

NatSoSaff

Champion The Wonder Horse

This only became an issue for the famously parsimonious Cavan folk when the price of diesel rocketed.

Kidder81

What other evacuation points are there out of Corrigan, bar the main entrance ?

Itchy

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 11, 2022, 06:46:21 PM
I'm somewhat bemused by this discussion.

We have a terrible habit of deflecting blame away from ourselves in Antrim. It's everyone else's fault.
Our county ground was closed by our county board.
Our county ground was given away by our county board.
Our club delegates were as weak as pish in holding them accountable.

Those chicken are not coming home to roost now. They're home and roosting nigh on 10 years. We've been made to concede home venue before and I don't remember such discussion.

Is it because we are dreaming that Corrigan is now a viable venue?

We have allowed ourselves to be shoehorned into a 2-bit "stadium" as a replacement for what we had. While it has been developed to be a very good club ground for St John's, we are kidding ourselves that it is even remotely near the standard of a county ground.
Not only are we accepting that Corrigan is now our home ground, we are begging the Ulster Council to accept it as our home ground.

Absolutely pathetic stuff.

That an honest assessment and I think the first thing you have to do in life is to acknowledge failings and move on. Antrim could and should be a super power of the GAA. Play the game in Corrigan if you must (I really don't care where it is) but take a look in the mirror too.

bannside

So what do you suppose we do Duine? Wait another ten years before we get a home tie in the championship?

Cavan are very wary of us and we have a reasonable chance of turning them over this time. Taking this to a neutral venue is like handing them a two or three point advantage before the game even starts. Now why on earth would we want to do that? No football manager in their right mind would concede an inch in a championship, not even 1% before the ball is thrown in. So why should we simply roll over in this regard?

I agree with some of your well made points, but don't forget Ulster Council are culpable in the situation we find ourselves in. That's the sheer irony of this situation.

Saffsof82

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 11, 2022, 06:28:24 PM

Come along to the Antrim v Longford game tomorrow at 2pm kidder and I'm sure big Martin will be delighted to show you the match day plan and you and the official from Belfast City Council can shoot the breeze about trip hazards and exits.

Kidder81

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 11, 2022, 07:26:14 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on March 11, 2022, 06:28:24 PM

Come along to the Antrim v Longford game tomorrow at 2pm kidder and I'm sure big Martin will be delighted to show you the match day plan and you and the official from Belfast City Council can shoot the breeze about trip hazards and exits.

I have been in Corrigan loads of times in the last year or two, do you not know ?

Itchy

Is there any pubs at the grounds. Lack of pubs might be the real cause of the objection.