Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogercasement

Take them til Rasharkin and get the flares out again Dreen. Kick them up that lane.

NatSoSaff

As someone from a staunch Antrim/Derry GAA family with a Cavan & Fermanagh grandparent either side of the tree, I can tell you we cover a hell of a lot of miles to watch a lot of football. Have done since I can remember. Would I be convinced Cavan would take up to even a thousand supporters to Belfast for the match had all this shite not kicked off? No!
Dig the heels in for sure, but watch and laugh at the paltry support Cavan take up the road to Owenbeg after all their crying should that be the outcome. Any comment from Ulster Council on this vote outcome yet? They really do get worse not better.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: rogercasement on March 11, 2022, 09:35:44 AM
Take them til Rasharkin and get the flares out again Dreen. Kick them up that lane.

Many a nan kicked up that lane and on to the dreen road!!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Redhand Santa

Antrim played Tyrone in the ulster championship 3 years ago in Armagh. The attendance was 5,000. I'd imagine this would attract even less if moved there. There is no justification for moving it.

Cavan19

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 11, 2022, 10:34:03 AM
As someone from a staunch Antrim/Derry GAA family with a Cavan & Fermanagh grandparent either side of the tree, I can tell you we cover a hell of a lot of miles to watch a lot of football. Have done since I can remember. Would I be convinced Cavan would take up to even a thousand supporters to Belfast for the match had all this shite not kicked off? No!
Dig the heels in for sure, but watch and laugh at the paltry support Cavan take up the road to Owenbeg after all their crying should that be the outcome. Any comment from Ulster Council on this vote outcome yet? They really do get worse not better.

Someone so staunch should know that Cavan have decent support and would bring a lot more than 1K to a Ulster championship game. For the record in my opinion the game should be played in Corrigan.

Bring it to Owenbeg surely it is closer to Cavan than Corrigan.

Itchy

Have to say some of the derogrotary comments on here about Cavan GAA is quite sad lads. The first I heard of this vote was this morning. I am not happy about it and I dont like sly shit like this to get a upper hand. However, Corrigan park at 5k is not a suitable venue for big championship game and I can tell you we will bring more than 1k supporters to any venue anywhere in the province. I think its a bit of a laugh to hear one lad from a Derry/Antrim background sneering at Cavan support - are you joking?

I would say the game should go ahead in Corrigan park - no excuses and I will be very disappointed if we couldn't beat you there or anywhere. But ye should stand your ground for sure.

However, some advice for ye. Your county has a population of 615k. Even if we were to say half of those have no interest in GAA then you are still by far the biggest county in population terms in Ulster. So really take a look at yourselves lads, ye have no county ground and a team that moves indefinitely between Div3 to Div4. Stop throwing shite at small counties like Cavan with a fraction of your population.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Itchy on March 11, 2022, 11:09:30 AM
Have to say some of the derogrotary comments on here about Cavan GAA is quite sad lads. The first I heard of this vote was this morning. I am not happy about it and I dont like sly shit like this to get a upper hand. However, Corrigan park at 5k is not a suitable venue for big championship game and I can tell you we will bring more than 1k supporters to any venue anywhere in the province. I think its a bit of a laugh to hear one lad from a Derry/Antrim background sneering at Cavan support - are you joking?

I would say the game should go ahead in Corrigan park - no excuses and I will be very disappointed if we couldn't beat you there or anywhere. But ye should stand your ground for sure.

However, some advice for ye. Your county has a population of 615k. Even if we were to say half of those have no interest in GAA then you are still by far the biggest county in population terms in Ulster. So really take a look at yourselves lads, ye have no county ground and a team that moves indefinitely between Div3 to Div4. Stop throwing shite at small counties like Cavan with a fraction of your population.

Ye?

NAG1

Wow that's a post and a half.

I think any derogatory comments toward Cavan GAA on here are more than merited and in fact its been quite mild thus far.

Cheek of them thinking they can dictate to Antrim where we should play our games and as for Ulster Council don't get me started on those shysters. Unreal decision, shows their backing for the second city and for the Gaelfast project in real terms. 

Saffsof82

Not surprised at the Cavan/Donegal/Monaghan/Fermanagh reps all voting against us at they usually stick together, but really surprised by Down and Armagh, let us down a bagful . Fair play to the Tyrone and Derry reps not being railroaded.
All very quiet from our own CB, would have thought they would have been all over the Irish News by this stage, see McGinley talking about it in the paper.

Flanker

Itchy who tabled the motion.....

Quote Itchy
"I am not happy about it and I dont like sly shit like this to get a upper hand"

Answer

The 2020 Ulster champions proposed a motion that the game be moved to another venue at a meeting of the Ulster Council on Wednesday night.

Itchy

Stop throwing shite

Sportacus

Itchy, your County Board representatives pulled a stroke at the Ulster Council meeting.  It's juvenile at best.  No one here is casting dispersions at the average 5/8th in Cavan plodding away at the GAA like the rest of us, but your County Board trying to switch a home game is oul nonsense from another time.

Saffsof82

Quote from: Sportacus on March 11, 2022, 12:30:38 PM
Itchy, your County Board representatives pulled a stroke at the Ulster Council meeting.  It's juvenile at best.  No one here is casting dispersions at the average 5/8th in Cavan plodding away at the GAA like the rest of us, but your County Board trying to switch a home game is oul nonsense from another time.

+1

Milltown Row2

Clubs and county boards have been pulling strokes for years to gain advantages for their teams, its not surprising they have done this to be fair, if you don't ask you don't get. Maybe Antrim are too nice and in the past just followed the flow, but this is underhand, and could backfire. Hopefully when the dust settles it'll be played in Corrigan, but because of Casement we have had to move in the past.

You'd have hoped that after Corrigan's facelift and use as our county ground during the leagues that it would have met the standards that the Ulster council required. If not it should have been brought up at the time and whatever arrangements needed could have been in place to facilitate it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 11, 2022, 11:55:06 AM
Not surprised at the Cavan/Donegal/Monaghan/Fermanagh reps all voting against us at they usually stick together, but really surprised by Down and Armagh, let us down a bagful . Fair play to the Tyrone and Derry reps not being railroaded.
All very quiet from our own CB, would have thought they would have been all over the Irish News by this stage, see McGinley talking about it in the paper.

Down and Armagh possibly hoping for a gate if a neutral venue is the final outcome.

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 11, 2022, 11:55:06 AM

Not surprised at Down delegates TBH, spineless wonders toeing the party line for a nice Ulster GAA coat or the likes.

Antrim should hold their ground, the poor publicity the Ulster GAA will take for this decision won't be long in seeing it reversed!