Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer

They won the all ireland intermediate a few years after that if im correct? I would say they woulda have been decent alright. 

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
I will say this about Cookstown years ago, was possibly 2009, we were playing in the game after against the Monaghan champions, Cookstown were unreal that day, I've said it before on many occasions, they'd have given us a hell of a game that day.

Spike

Quote from: Gold on December 06, 2021, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:43:18 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
Look at tyrone. Everyone raves about their championship. Absolute state of their record in ulster. Does that mean that tyrone have overrated club sides? Standards poor? I highly doubt it. My guess is that it is extremely hard to win in ulster. 9 excellent club teams and only 1 winner, it ainy easy.

I really do think they hype up their championship if I'm being honest, the best team I seen was Carrickmore . Ardboe beat us back in the day, crazy match, but I still think they are not as good as they think

Only thing I'd say on Tyrone is my other half's club are Junior, Division 3 in Tyrone. They would compete in Div 1 Antrim every day of the week and half their team have won a McCrory medal  and almost all played in it. That's the strength in depth they have and the difference.The physicality and relentless pace is something that we just don't have and need to work on as a county. 

They are obsessed with Football in Tyrone and in their schools to a level we aren't. Everyone knows about it and every game and their sense of pride and self and self worth almost comes from their County team. We have a far broader interest in other sports and not the same focus. If we did we would be the most successful Ulster team, given our population.

That Galls team was absolutely and utterly exceptional,  they won 13 out of 14 or so Antrims and were by far the best team we have seen, incredible. 
But if they were in Tyrone or Dublin they simply wouldn't have won as much. They won 2 Ulster's in that space of time...winning Tyrone is the same as winning an Ulster, its a minefield.

Dublin is similar. The standard of teams in lower end of Div 1 and even top of Div 2 was frightening when I was there in the late 00s. All would've competed with Galls which I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it up close.
The size and physicality of the teams was and remains phenomenal.

Don't forget St Galls benefitted massively from a transfer/recruitment policy unavailable to rural clubs.  Simply put the majority of Antrim Gaels dont have the obsession with Gaa that those in Tyrone or South derry do. Until we bridge that gap or radically improve our methods then Div 3 and 4 will maiinly be our lot in life.  The environment needs to change.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 11:17:27 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on December 06, 2021, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 10:52:11 PM
I kind of get what your saying gold but if you throw any dominant club into the tyrone or dublin cship of course they wouldnt win it as much due to the high level of competition . Kilcoo, scotstown etc would be the same. I dare say that st galls team would have fancied their chances no matter what county they were in.

In regards to your div 3 v div 1 call, i couldnt say for sure as i have very little knowledge of tyrone lower levels, but i would confidently fancy an antrim div 1 side over any div 3 side in tyrone. Our club football isnt that bad ye know!

Tir na Nog will meet up with Moortown on the Ulster way and I certainly would not dismiss the Whitehill men's chances against the Lough Shore men...

Hopefully you'll be cheering them on
And why not, my better half is from Randalstown and her brothers all wore the blue and white.
Big families in the country Mr2....got relatives involved in PG1, Creggan, Bellaghy, Magereafelt, Ardboe, and even West Ham....yourself?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on December 06, 2021, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: Gold on December 06, 2021, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:43:18 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
Look at tyrone. Everyone raves about their championship. Absolute state of their record in ulster. Does that mean that tyrone have overrated club sides? Standards poor? I highly doubt it. My guess is that it is extremely hard to win in ulster. 9 excellent club teams and only 1 winner, it ainy easy.

I really do think they hype up their championship if I'm being honest, the best team I seen was Carrickmore . Ardboe beat us back in the day, crazy match, but I still think they are not as good as they think

Only thing I'd say on Tyrone is my other half's club are Junior, Division 3 in Tyrone. They would compete in Div 1 Antrim every day of the week and half their team have won a McCrory medal  and almost all played in it. That's the strength in depth they have and the difference.The physicality and relentless pace is something that we just don't have and need to work on as a county. 

They are obsessed with Football in Tyrone and in their schools to a level we aren't. Everyone knows about it and every game and their sense of pride and self and self worth almost comes from their County team. We have a far broader interest in other sports and not the same focus. If we did we would be the most successful Ulster team, given our population.

That Galls team was absolutely and utterly exceptional,  they won 13 out of 14 or so Antrims and were by far the best team we have seen, incredible. 
But if they were in Tyrone or Dublin they simply wouldn't have won as much. They won 2 Ulster's in that space of time...winning Tyrone is the same as winning an Ulster, its a minefield.

Dublin is similar. The standard of teams in lower end of Div 1 and even top of Div 2 was frightening when I was there in the late 00s. All would've competed with Galls which I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it up close.
The size and physicality of the teams was and remains phenomenal.

Don't forget St Galls benefitted massively from a transfer/recruitment policy unavailable to rural clubs.  Simply put the majority of Antrim Gaels dont have the obsession with Gaa that those in Tyrone or South derry do. Until we bridge that gap or radically improve our methods then Div 3 and 4 will maiinly be our lot in life.  The environment needs to change.

We won 5 Minor and under 21 titles in a row, we'd a couple of players that didn't play in our juveniles, I firmly believe we'd have won any way. We don't recruit, they come to us, that's how it is.  But keep banging that drum if it makes you feel happy  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 07, 2021, 08:54:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 11:17:27 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on December 06, 2021, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 10:52:11 PM
I kind of get what your saying gold but if you throw any dominant club into the tyrone or dublin cship of course they wouldnt win it as much due to the high level of competition . Kilcoo, scotstown etc would be the same. I dare say that st galls team would have fancied their chances no matter what county they were in.

In regards to your div 3 v div 1 call, i couldnt say for sure as i have very little knowledge of tyrone lower levels, but i would confidently fancy an antrim div 1 side over any div 3 side in tyrone. Our club football isnt that bad ye know!

Tir na Nog will meet up with Moortown on the Ulster way and I certainly would not dismiss the Whitehill men's chances against the Lough Shore men...

Hopefully you'll be cheering them on
And why not, my better half is from Randalstown and her brothers all wore the blue and white.
Big families in the country Mr2....got relatives involved in PG1, Creggan, Bellaghy, Magereafelt, Ardboe, and even West Ham....yourself?

Its just I seen your lot cheering on CE on Sunday, honestly this one lads he jumped that high his trackies nearly fell off..

Why would I have relatives in the country? I've cousins that play for St Teresa's that be about it.. Sister is married to a strongly connected Rossa family, which will have me cheering on my nephew when he takes up the sport.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

geezer

Im sure SW teams have "recruited" players also. Mick magill, paddy logan spring to mind.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: geezer on December 07, 2021, 09:35:55 AM
Im sure SW teams have "recruited" players also. Mick magill, paddy logan spring to mind.

recruited plenty of managers also, so that stuff wouldn't annoy me, but it makes people feel good

country bumpkin

But such bears absolutely no resemblance to how St Gall's recruited players from all over, and cherry picking from their less less successful neighbours.
No doubt they had assembled a super team up at Milltown but such had a cosmopolitan look, and in now way mirrored ordinary club sides.

Team building by bus is the fast lane to success but what happens when the veichle runs out of fuel...?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 07, 2021, 10:08:48 AM

But such bears absolutely no resemblance to how St Gall's recruited players from all over, and cherry picking from their less less successful neighbours.
No doubt they had assembled a super team up at Milltown but such had a cosmopolitan look, and in now way mirrored ordinary club sides.

Team building by bus is the fast lane to success but what happens when the veichle runs out of fuel...?

You are deluded CB, those in glass houses......

I'm here all day ;)

geezer

What players from other clubs played for them out of interest? I know pollock and the gallagher bros but thats all im aware off.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2021, 10:17:27 AM

I'm here all day ;)

May well be approaching senility but could easily name the whole hist of imports from all over Ulster and within who lined out in the Blue and White.

Glad you are staying......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 07, 2021, 10:31:37 AM

I'm here all day ;)

May well be approaching senility but could easily name the whole hist of imports from all over Ulster and within who lined out in the Blue and White.

Remember, glass houses and throwing stones  ;D

Tell me about this 60's McRory cup team from Belfast being the last winners CB

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2021, 10:45:47 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on December 07, 2021, 10:31:37 AM

I'm here all day ;)

Remember, glass houses and throwing stones  ;D

Tell me about this 60's McRory cup team from Belfast being the last winners CB

Went to St Malachys myself.....CBS were never on the radar.....

paddyjohn

Paddy Logan and his brothers had a falling out with Ahoghill so we wasn't recruited by Ballymena.

geezer

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 07, 2021, 11:00:06 AM

Paddy Logan and his brothers had a falling out with Ahoghill so we wasn't recruited by Ballymena.

Fair enough. Magill just left solely for footballing reasons though? Similar to pollock.