Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaffgael

Why is Ahoghill not getting many games now? Surely it or Portglenone would have been the place for Cargin v Creggan.

EOC1923

Quote from: City Dweller on October 25, 2021, 06:42:56 PM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on October 25, 2021, 11:32:13 AM
The numbers in the city isnt neccessarily an advantage. Its the community that binds a club together and thats where i think the differences are laying in antrim at the moment.

It was no coincidence that during the troubles St.Johns, St.Pauls, Rossa, St.Galls, LD etc.. were all tight knit clubs/teams with the outside factors they faced on a daily basis playing a part in geling them lads together. Them teams had all lads with family connections to the club, their social clubs were a hub for the community and you usually played for the club whos area you were from. The modern version of this in what we are seeing today is the city teams have players scattered all around the city who have no comings and goings with each other outside of GAA.

Country teams have usually 4 or 5 family connections in each team from underage up to senior, as well as primary schools where each school in a town/village is prodominantly filled with the local clubs players. All this adds to the culture of a club which is slowly slipping away from City teams. However we have seen from St.Galls and Brigids more recently, that all that can be papered over by getting palyers in from other clubs and making a good senior team!

Who did St Brigids bring in?
There isnt enough characters available to name them all

imtommygunn

Is it not kind of the nature of the area though? South belfast has very few south belfast people in it...

Bredagh is the same.

paddyjohn

The quality of some of the lads leaves a lot to be desired 👀

rogercasement

Chatting to a not long retired creggan player today, saying they are convinced they will beat Cargin, can't see it but best of luck til them.

JimStynes

Quote from: rogercasement on October 25, 2021, 09:40:25 PM
Chatting to a not long retired creggan player today, saying they are convinced they will beat Cargin, can't see it but best of luck til them.

I was chatting to a Cargin player today. He was saying they're going to win Ulster. Was also charging to a Portglenone man and he was saying they're going to be up against it in the final. Must be no point in Aghagallon turning up next week.

rogercasement

I'm laying it out now.
1. Casements will struggle to beat Aghagallon, it could go either way.
2. Creggan will not beat Cargin.
3. Cargin will win final.
4. Cargin will not win a match in Ulster.
I am fully available for ridicule when all 4 or any of these things happen. In fact I will say Aghagallon by 1pt for number 1.

City Dweller

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 25, 2021, 07:50:21 PM
The numbers in the city isnt neccessarily an advantage. Its the community that binds a club together and thats where i think the differences are laying in antrim at the moment.

It was no coincidence that during the troubles St.Johns, St.Pauls, Rossa, St.Galls, LD etc.. were all tight knit clubs/teams with the outside factors they faced on a daily basis playing a part in geling them lads together. Them teams had all lads with family connections to the club, their social clubs were a hub for the community and you usually played for the club whos area you were from. The modern version of this in what we are seeing today is the city teams have players scattered all around the city who have no comings and goings with each other outside of GAA.

Country teams have usually 4 or 5 family connections in each team from underage up to senior, as well as primary schools where each school in a town/village is prodominantly filled with the local clubs players. All this adds to the culture of a club which is slowly slipping away from City teams. However we have seen from St.Galls and Brigids more recently, that all that can be papered over by getting palyers in from other clubs and making a good senior team!

A couple would do...

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: asaffgael on October 25, 2021, 07:10:47 PM
Why is Ahoghill not getting many games now? Surely it or Portglenone would have been the place for Cargin v Creggan.

Or ballymena Randalstown maybe even dunsilly
Anywhere but St endas
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

EOC1923

Quote from: City Dweller on October 25, 2021, 10:08:40 PM

A couple would do...
Dara Edwards
Willie McSorley

City Dweller

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 25, 2021, 10:22:21 PM
Quote from: City Dweller on October 25, 2021, 10:08:40 PM

A couple would do...
Dara Edwards
Willoe McSorley

Ah... I thought it was more recent sides you were referring to.

Neither of those two lads have played for St Brigids in 9-10 years.

GAABoardMod5

ck

Cargin to win another Championship in 2nd gear? Creggan knock on the door each year but we all know they will not beat the Toome men.
Aghagallon will beat PG1 in my humble opinion - the prize for them will be a county final hammering.

I just hope the Antrim county board sees sense for next year and it finds a better Championship system instead of a long slow group system. Teams started this competition in August. Only came to life this weekend.

rogercasement

I would find it hard to argue with anything you have posted.
Not looking forward til Sunday

ck

Quote from: rogercasement on October 25, 2021, 11:36:05 PM
I would find it hard to argue with anything you have posted.
Not looking forward til Sunday

I think the Ports Aghagallon game will be very tight. I watched both quarter finals on Pairc TV and Ports just won't get the goal chances they were handed against LD.