Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Yea a brave while ITG this one is sweet because the Derry ones I was talking to before the match had the result as a foregone conclusion. Seems like the Derry team thought that too! That's championship football every team deserves respect in a two team shootout.

Well done Hugh Colm Niall and Benny hope I havent left anyone out. Terrific result that should give the county a lift and our many knockers a wee wake up call that we are producing good footballers too.

Big Pat, Classy Adam, Bronze Luke and Eoghan Mc Menamin my pick on the night where everybody stood tall.

bannside

42 minutes Brendan Derry went without a score. Unbelievable statistic. Again, well done one and all. Hopefully Luke is fit to start in the next round. That's vital.

Cant see the match 2moro being played. Glenavy pitch couldn't hold out to that weather.

bannside

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/authors/john-fogarty/

Great article here in the Irish Examiner about Paul Donnelly presenting a strong argument that Antrim deserve more proportate funding from HQ for development of Gaelic Games in Irelands second largest city. Fair play to John Fogarty for providing that platform.

bannside

The above read provides a fascinating insight into what's really going on with Gaelfast. Paul Donnelly starting to look like a terrific appointment and a really safe pair of hands. Less than a year in and most of his foundations are in place.

BigBallWeeBall

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/gaelfast-launched
Don't agree with your Gaelfast sentiment. 2 years in and cannot see much progress except for a Social Media presence

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Dunsilly King on February 21, 2020, 08:41:07 PM
I hope most of u aren't involved, because if going by your ability to read any wonder clubs in Belfast with kids from 16-18 are fecked. Yes the volunteers in the clubs that can't feild minor teams with the populations they have, have failed. Dublin recognised this 15 years ago and put paid skilled coaches into every club who matched the funding offered with 50% if their own resources whose remit was to coach the volunteers to be better coaches, coaches the kids and go into the clubs primary schools to coach. I could go on but its clear how dead the thinking is here. Backwoods stuff
Love the banter DK but feel you are harsh on volunteer and failure. Perhaps they underachieved or had a weak pool of players. Money isn't the panacea for all ills otherwise teams like Creggan would have bought a few all county titles with the vast sums of money spent on managers

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on February 22, 2020, 03:02:00 PM
I hope most of u aren't involved, because if going by your ability to read any wonder clubs in Belfast with kids from 16-18 are fecked. Yes the volunteers in the clubs that can't feild minor teams with the populations they have, have failed. Dublin recognised this 15 years ago and put paid skilled coaches into every club who matched the funding offered with 50% if their own resources whose remit was to coach the volunteers to be better coaches, coaches the kids and go into the clubs primary schools to coach. I could go on but its clear how dead the thinking is here. Backwoods stuff
Love the banter DK but feel you are harsh on volunteer and failure. Perhaps they underachieved or had a weak pool of players. Money isn't the panacea for all ills otherwise teams like Creggan would have bought a few all county titles with the vast sums of money spent on managers

Cargin do alright as do S'neil with outside managers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BigBallWeeBall

Must be an average group of players that results in failure to win titles then

Gall the way

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on February 22, 2020, 02:14:48 PM
https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/gaelfast-launched
Don't agree with your Gaelfast sentiment. 2 years in and cannot see much progress except for a Social Media presence

Been publicly critical myself on here in the past of Gaelfast, particularly those involved in setting it up, but I have to say Paul Donnelly and the team seemed to have done some great work. 2 years looks like an unfair timeline in fairness. Do I not remember the recruitment of staff being advertised just last year? Hardly hold those people accountable for 2 years worth?
Just read the article by Fogarty, looks like there's a plan also in the making after in depth consultation, so I look forward to seeing that considering it's being prepared the right way. Happy to wait and be positive (which as I say, I wasn't before). Senior teams seeing a bit of a purple patch, U20s win last night and this article all give me hope! If we all don't pull together we might lose this opportunity!

Milltown Row2

Sligo losing late on to Waterford
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Yea it's just over. Waterford beat Sligo by 2

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on February 22, 2020, 03:38:03 PM

Strange league! A win tomorrow would hopefully set up a promotion push

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2020, 03:42:21 PM

Strange league! A win tomorrow would hopefully set up a promotion push

I think the league is a super competition.  Teams playing at their own level and this is borne out by the various results in all the leagues.

I've always said the GAA is the only organisation where the league is secondary to the cup competition.

Belfast GAA man

what would your plan be for Belfast DK ? U seem to think it's easy fixed

imtommygunn

Jaysus. Still a must win game tomorrow. A win would set us up nicely.