Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

I share your fears for the St Galls lads, as an interested spectator over the last few years i always felt St Galls never really put on a show in County finals because they struggled to deal with the tag of favouritism, when they went onto Ulster they always equipped themselves well againt the top teams.

The vibes this year is almost like St Galls are the top team (along with Crossmaglen), which may be true, but unlike in Antrim the teams in the Ulster championship will have more than enough quality to chin them if they don't bring there A game.  Hope St Galls do win and give Ulster another lash,

With regards to Loughgiel, i remember hearing a story a few years ago where a few shamrocks wanted to start up a junior football club (for the craic) but where told in no uncertain terms they wold get to use the field.  Maybe just an urban legend.

Good luck to the Dunloy lads on Sunday,  i actually have my concerns as too whether an extended run in this competition will actually be good for the team.  If they do go on a run (and say get to a final) then they will have used up 3 of the 4 weekends available in Nov for playing the 7 league matches they have outstanding.  Therefore they would get relegated for certain.  that would mean play senior championship next year from div2, an early exit there and failure to win promotion could potentially have a serious impact on the team.

However, loss next week, play all 7 league games against teams who have stopped training months ago, and you may just stay in Div1.

But championship is championship, and winning will be all thats on anyones mind on sunday
What happens next????

milltown row

How anybody can say that Naomh Gall will take this game lightly is beyond me, they are nobody's fools and with the game at Casement they are certainly up for it. Getting Cavan Gaels, who have had plenty of experience of Ulster club football, will put those ideas of an easy match out of their heads. The squad is actually stronger this year with the likes of Burkey and CJ now playing. Quality players for every position and certain established players not guaranteed a place on the team means everybody is fighting to get on.

CJ is really injured but I'm sure he'll play some part, he's good for 3 points, and with Ulster club games this time of year they usually are low scoring affairs.

Naomh Gall to win by 3 points, it will be tight up on till last 5 and hopefully we will pull away.

Last Man

"With regards to Loughgiel, i remember hearing a story a few years ago where a few shamrocks wanted to start up a junior football club (for the craic) but where told in no uncertain terms they wold get to use the field.  Maybe just an urban legend."

Heard this myself, I think they actually started training but when the guys that look after the pitch saw the damage that was being done to the surface a swift halt was called and it hasn't been heard of since. Fair enough I say as  it is very evident when you walk on to the pitch of a hurling only club, and this is not just down to how often it is used.

Gold

Congratulations to St Brigid's winning Div 2 today --some going winning Div 5, 4, 3 and then 2 in a row!

St Gall's looked powerful in Casement today-will take some stopping altho Glenullin had a good win over Newtown
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

slow corner back

Agreed Gold watched St Galls today and they were way better than Cavan, some of their long foot passing into the full forward line was especially good

gaagaa

Quote from: Gold on November 04, 2007, 06:53:55 PM
Congratulations to St Brigid's winning Div 2 today --some going winning Div 5, 4, 3 and then 2 in a row!

St Gall's looked powerful in Casement today-will take some stopping altho Glenullin had a good win over Newtown

gold did the mcgourtys all play today

imtommygunn

So Ahoghill got beat, St Galls and Armoy won.

Anyone know how Dunloy footballers did?

Ruairi Og exile

Heard Dunloy won by a point...but not 100% sure.

Well done to all the Antrim clubs

tintin25

Dunloy 1-06 Kinawley 0-08. This was definitely a game of two halves with Dunloy impressive in the first and Kinawley the second. They probably should have been out of sight but kicked alot of bad wides in the first half. Kinawley came into it more in the second half and deserved a draw at least. The referee made some quite bizarre decisions that the Fermanagh lads can feel aggrieved with. From what I seen, I can't see Dunloy progressing too far but wish them all the best nevertheless.

imtommygunn

Fair play to Dunloy.

Hopefully themselves and St Galls can go far. Anyone know where the st galls semi is?

The antrim sides seem to have a very bad record in the junior football competition. Ahoghill won Antrim easily and still got well beat.

Gold

Quote from: gaagaa on November 04, 2007, 08:22:48 PM

Kevin played whole game-played well 3 good points, some blocks and covered the whole pitch
Kieran came on 5mins b4 half time--there was no real need for him to come on as Galls were flying at this stage and Sean Burns hadnt done anything wrong but i suppose hadnt been involved much as his marker Darren Rabbite seemed very fond of Burnsey's jersey! Kieran scored a point b4 half time but gave the ball away 3 or 4 times in 2nd half which u wouldnt expect from him(he was the only player who seemed to give the ball away on that team 2day
CJ came on with 10 to go-kicked 2 wides from way out and then scored a good point from the left at the death

St Galls put in some amount of blocks and didnt let Cavan play at all--Terry O'Neill and the entire half-back line put in a serious amount of work.
Burkey played well in midfield but a problem may be that they didnt win any clean ball in the middle--O'Neill and Aidso Gallagher were the only 2 who caught ball high above their heads.
Seanie Johnstone didnt start altho he was dangerous when he came on--scored a few points and had a goal chance beat wide by Ronnie Gallagher. Lyng was busy and skilful but he and Ford seemed frustrated and pushed out at Galls players as they simply couldnt get by them or stop them.
Niblock linked well and kicked a good score to put them 10-5 up but the Gall's forwards wernt in great form with Karl letting a few balls slip through his hands(no gloves on) altho he kicked about 4 scores. Gaels had a few good individuals but Gall's are as good a team as ive seen.

Will be interesting to see how they cope with the Bradleys but i cant imagine Glenullin will have much more than those 2 in the forwards.

Fair play to Dunloy although fermanagh football is never the strongest but any win in Ulster for Antrim teams is welcomed!

On another note if Antrim plays enough of those Gall's boys Antrim should have too much for Cavan in Casement next spring--im confident of that and its not often you can say that
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

toiletroller

St Galls will face a tough challenge from Glenullin. this team has beat Slauthneil, Bellaghy and Ballinderry on their route to glory....and picked up the Ulster leauge earlier in the year.St Galls are full of their own self importance i fee (going by the spoofin their manager has been at) . Not to be stirring it up or anything  ;D

Balboa

Quote from: Gold on November 04, 2007, 11:13:50 PM
Quote from: gaagaa on November 04, 2007, 08:22:48 PM

On another note if Antrim plays enough of those Gall's boys Antrim should have too much for Cavan in Casement next spring--im confident of that and its not often you can say that

Its not as if we havent had St Galls representation on the Antrim panel, and it has still ended in defeat. St Galls are an excellent, well drilled, organised club team but plenty of those lads have had a crack at inter county football and havent exactly set the world alight.

glenullinabu

Quote from: Gold on November 04, 2007, 11:13:50 PM

Will be interesting to see how they cope with the Bradleys but i cant imagine Glenullin will have much more than those 2 in the forwards.

Gold we are only going to the semi for the day out - at least we'll be able to say we'll have been beaten by the eventual ulster champions ::)

ONeill

St Galls are as good as any club side in Ireland on their day. As I said on the Ulster thread, their first half performance was as good as any i've seen from a club side at this level. Who were the last side to beat them at Ulster Club level? Must've been in 2004.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.