Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: Dreen on February 10, 2017, 03:54:22 PM
Benny Hasson didn't play a game for us last year so that loss is already dealt with.
Not sure where you got your information but we brought no one  out of retirement, the players who played at the end of the year played all year but always great to see Sharkin football being so keenly debated on here.
Cannot see Rasharkin in the relegation zone this year..............saw the tide turn at Moneyglass last year when danger threatened and they went on to gain a further four victories.
Character is not a problem within and fully anticipate a top half finish for them this year.

Galer

Me thinks thou protest too much cb

bannside

Stallions looking for you on the Derry thread Galer! Incidentally what side of the Bann are you from??

country bumpkin

Quote from: Galer on February 11, 2017, 09:43:23 PM
Me thinks thou protest too much cb
Not one for protestations..Galer....
More for probabilites   ;)

Minder

Offaly 0-20 Antrim 0-6 - 7 mins to go  :-[
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

country bumpkin

Quote from: Minder  on February 12, 2017, 04:22:03 PM
Offaly 0-20 Antrim 0-6 - 7 mins to go  :-[
Saying nothing.......keeping the head down.......

Galer

Well bs i was born on one side and live on the other follow both sides of the bann very closely

Galer

Back to div4 yet again is it any wonder im not to optimistic abt the current regime or future.can we get rid of these boys now?

BrendanAntrim

Poor result today for footballer, and scoreline suggests it was not a good performance. Home games vital to hopes of staying up. louth look to be flying, and we drew with them in league last year and looked to have their measure in Croke Park until second half collapse. Looks like we are already heading in different directions now unfortunately.

Hectic

Yeah FFF it- less said about yesterday the better - O'Cahan Cup next week end is where the real action is - or is it? - are these games anything more than glorified friendlies these days given their placement in the calendar?

bannside

Good point Hectic. I recall the not too distant past when the South West senior championship was a big event. That was back in the days when an all county title coming to the SW was a very rare event.  To compensate SW teams took it very seriously and there would be large crowds guaranteed for the final.

To stage the first round next weekend before most clubs have had a football out in anger is an insult to the clubs and entirely demeans the prestige of the event.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: bannside on February 13, 2017, 09:50:01 AM
Good point Hectic. I recall the not too distant past when the South West senior championship was a big event. That was back in the days when an all county title coming to the SW was a very rare event.  To compensate SW teams took it very seriously and there would be large crowds guaranteed for the final.

To stage the first round next weekend before most clubs have had a football out in anger is an insult to the clubs and entirely demeans the prestige of the event.

couldnt agree more BS. were away to Rasharkin this weekend and our lads havent even been on grass to train at this stage of the year! pure madness to play what is a competitive game at this stage on pitches that aint fit to take them
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

It is a pity all the same - as BS says it was a good competition, well looked forward to at a time.  I think by throwing it in at this stage of the year it is sending out the message that it is of little relevance - not that the U21 championship is a lot better - again that was once a great competition when played in spring/ early summer.  I appreciate that a lot of fixtures have to be squeezed in these days but at the same time as DR says a lot of teams have not hit grass yet let alone had a ball in hand yet.  Ah well moaning about it aint going to change it I suppose.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 13, 2017, 09:57:16 AM
Quote from: bannside on February 13, 2017, 09:50:01 AM

couldnt agree more BS. were away to Rasharkin this weekend and our lads havent even been on grass to train at this stage of the year! pure madness to play what is a competitive game at this stage on pitches that aint fit to take them
In total agreement on the above points well made.
The O' Cahan cup has lost its sheen for Cargin I fear as has been the case over the past few seasons and as the focus within has shifted and indeed the competition which used to feature as a priority at Toome no longer occupies such lofty position therein.
Of course the fact that the South West Board insists on a winter setting has had impact and the fact that 2017 will see them insist on a February start date and at a time when most if not all of the clubs have yet to set foot on grass further demean a competition which once had the highest regard.
The fact that the 'premier' event in the S West has lost its sheen has a double edged effect within clubs as they dispatch a weakened side in their O' Cahan assignments sending the good portion of their reserves into action and as a result ensure that those individuals will not be available for their own competition 'Mc Cormick Cup'.
As for the comment on the under-21 football championship this was revived in the late 1980s and for quite a time was fixed in and around March and proceeded on a weekly basis to be completed by April and proved hugely successful.
The under-21 hurling championship now occupies the 'early slot' and football has been banished to the muck of November :'(

Galer

Will cargin not b trying to win the o cahan this year cb