Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on January 21, 2017, 07:38:32 AM
I was talking to a man last night who said he would bet his life savings that the current Cargin team would beat the current Antrim team!

Whether that's right or wrong no one will know but for some reason there seems to be far too many of our countys players missing from the squad. I can think of at least a dozen players I would have in there. Why are so many not committing?

He'd lose, they said that when we had a good team too...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It is becoming widespread at intercounty level bs. The commitment levels even for division 3 etc are massive.  Only the top few teams really have full commitment across their county with their best players available.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2017, 08:31:46 AM
I was talking to a man last night who said he would bet his life savings that the current Cargin team would beat the current Antrim team!

Whether that's right or wrong no one will know but for some reason there seems to be far too many of our countys players missing from the squad. I can think of at least a dozen players I would have in there. Why are so many not committing?

So you do not like Cargin MR2 even in the hypothetical....glad we will not be seeing you strutting your stuff in the middle at Toome any time soon :D

bannside

The problem we seem to have is that everyone wants to be playing...or getting significant gametime.  We had a couple of players who were on the fringes last year who simply said the huge commitment is not worth the effort. As a result they will put 100% into the club....and probably play better too now that they will be fresh and their confidence is back.

A good club player who makes a county panel - but realistically sees little gametime, will often return to their clubs in worse shape than they left and most of this is due to loss of confidence. I've seen it so many times.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 21, 2017, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2017, 08:31:46 AM

So you do not like Cargin MR2 even in the hypothetical....glad we will not be seeing you strutting your stuff in the middle at Toome any time soon :D

Are you drunk?? Where in my post or any post did I say I don't like Cargin??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: bannside on January 21, 2017, 10:28:06 AM
The problem we seem to have is that everyone wants to be playing...or getting significant gametime.  We had a couple of players who were on the fringes last year who simply said the huge commitment is not worth the effort. As a result they will put 100% into the club....and probably play better too now that they will be fresh and their confidence is back.

A good club player who makes a county panel - but realistically sees little gametime, will often return to their clubs in worse shape than they left and most of this is due to loss of confidence. I've seen it so many times.

Very true bs and you would ask if sitting on the bench makes it worth their time.

Even the likes of tyrone have guys who drop off panels due to commitment for lack of gametime. If that happens in successful counties it will certainly happen in ours.

JimStynes

Depressing reading in here already and it is only January. I agree with people about getting coaching into the Primary Schools. Too many schools aren't getting access to coaches. The coaches within the County are stretched too far as it is and need far more support. 

I was very surprised to hear that the fellas who have been training with the senior panel haven't received any gear as of yet. Even if boys don't make it onto the league panel surely a t-shirt and a pair of shorts should have been given to them. Why is everything half assed in Antrim? 

Galer

I know there is the odd player who would/should drop off a panel but if things are done fair and the team are progressing,things are professional and there are genuine competion for places not just token gestures lads would put there heart and soul into it .but with antrim the management seem to prefer certain players and then there clubmen/mates.like there is at least 2 men on the panel couldnt make there own club team.7/8 u21s on panel ensures that they havent a chance,that said they will pull in the st endas lads 2 weeks before champ(as they did last year).so neither team making headway.why did they retire mmccann?,is there anyone else to comeback? And why is the current panel full of 2nd rate fballers? There are at least 15 better footballers not even on panel.abd what was the half team abt the other nite? "Sort it out urselves lads we are away our here" was the quote i was told

Galer

Its hard to be positive when all you see in front of you is shit and contuining to be.for the last 40/50/60 years bar a couple of glimmers of hope it has been when we start to make progress we then revert to type.take bakers first term he took us to an ulster final and he was no micko or paidie or harte.we had a chance to build on it and what happens? We mess abt, bring back baker let him overstay and part of the management team manipulate the situation to get there feet under the table.a management who havent managed a champonship winning side(same applies to u21s as well).if u want to b successful in any warp of life you get tge right people in .time for sv to cut the crap and give something,even an underage structure/plan.even a plan to develop more coaches for schools just a f**king crumb

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Galer on January 22, 2017, 12:27:25 AM
Its hard to be positive when all you see in front of you is shit and contuining to be.for the last 40/50/60 years bar a couple of glimmers of hope it has been when we start to make progress we then revert to type.take bakers first term he took us to an ulster final and he was no micko or paidie or harte.we had a chance to build on it and what happens? We mess abt, bring back baker let him overstay and part of the management team manipulate the situation to get there feet under the table.a management who havent managed a champonship winning side(same applies to u21s as well).if u want to b successful in any warp of life you get tge right people in .time for sv to cut the crap and give something,even an underage structure/plan.even a plan to develop more coaches for schools just a f**king crumb

So you are aware it's not a particular committee that's responsible... it's a chronic position that Antrim has found itself and hopefully with structures put in place then it can start afresh... but the skull has said on so many times unless we have the trained/coached volunteers to implement this vision we will be where we are at!!?

Our playing standards are where we are at, we don't have the dedication skill levels or player input than other counties habe

Galer

We do have the players to compete (mostly not on the current panel) but to be successful in terms of winning ulsters we are miles away and id agree that we need coaches who are of certain standard (i do not currently know any half decent coaches currently involved in the underage set up but i am open to correction) it seems to be someones da/mate who takes them.i know pd does a lot of good work and needs help.Two st galls lad made an attempt to b minor managers last year are they involved in coaching any development team .top players ex county players and top coaches have plenty to offer are these people involved or even approached.

Galer

And im aware karl mc cabe is involved before im ate

country bumpkin

Of course Cargin would have beaten that Antrim side which lost at Fermanagh on Wed nite last Bannside and I have absolutely no doubt that several Antrim division one sides would also have done the same.
Please somebody tell me when was the last 'county team' which failed to raise a flag for the duration of a full half.............and indeed if Tomas Mc Cann hadn't been involved perhaps we wouldn't have scored at all. :-[
Fermanagh have a population of 60.000.......Antrim have 600,000.......

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 22, 2017, 07:00:51 PM
Of course Cargin would have beaten that Antrim side which lost at Fermanagh on Wed nite last Bannside and I have absolutely no doubt that several Antrim division one sides would also have done the same.
Please somebody tell me when was the last 'county team' which failed to raise a flag for the duration of a full half.............and indeed if Tomas Mc Cann hadn't been involved perhaps we wouldn't have scored at all. :-[
Fermanagh have a population of 60.000.......Antrim have 600,000.......

Let's not be to critical..  ;)

Na Glinntí Glasa

i wouldnt say there isnt good investment in the all of the primary schools with regards to gaelic games. My nephew plays hurling and football for our primary school and they are constantly playing tournaments, one in football last weekend as it happens that was organised by Cloughmills primary school.

The other week they were all in Our Lady of Lourdes HS in Ballymoney where woody took them and other PS's for a hurling coaching session. There is good work being done at PS level but it needs more support from the top level in the county to continue what work is being done
hurl like f**k boi!