Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 12, 2016, 01:42:39 PM
Quote from: shawshank on December 12, 2016, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 12, 2016, 12:19:35 PM
dominic is staying on and has martin doherty & adrian mcallister along with him this year. Martins a good man to have involved as he previously was over Kilrea & Loup so its a good head to have with him. Adrian played football for years for Dunloy and so did his brother so hes another good man to have with him.

Martin was not over Kilrea nor the Loup, his brother Peter was manager of both, Martin was in the management team. What is Dominic's surname?

im sure you could find out yourself seeing as you know so much yourself.

The reason I know about Martin is that he is from our club, and his brother Peter managed us when we got to the county final a few years back, and Martin was on the management team, after us they moved unto the Loup. Lots of time for the two Docs, two sound solid men. I actually didn't know he had been with Dunloy until I read the post. So much for showing a bit of interest.

Na Glinntí Glasa

be better if you had of explained that rather than your first message that was bascially 'yer wrong mate'. :D

Martin has a keen interest in Dunloy so its nice to see him helping out. From speaking to the manager he was very impressed with what he wanted to bring to the table. Dominic's surname is Dillon. this will be his third season in charge of the football. Done a good job to take us from bottom half of Div 3 to two county finals and Div 2 football.

On another note that Kilrea minor team look a seriously good outfit. will take a good team to beat them this year in the St Pauls tournament.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 12, 2016, 03:20:20 PM
be better if you had of explained that rather than your first message that was bascially 'yer wrong mate'. :D

Martin has a keen interest in Dunloy so its nice to see him helping out. From speaking to the manager he was very impressed with what he wanted to bring to the table. Dominic's surname is Dillon. this will be his third season in charge of the football. Done a good job to take us from bottom half of Div 3 to two county finals and Div 2 football.

On another note that Kilrea minor team look a seriously good outfit. will take a good team to beat them this year in the St Pauls tournament.

DR, how much of the recent rise was Paddy Bradleys influence though? Not being smart or disrepectful when I ask. I like to see SW teams improve and do well, Dunloy are a good club who have invested and worked hard on internal structures and are reaping the reward.

I was at a table with Martin & Peter (sounds like Stormont here!) at a wedding a few years back, 2 nicer men you wouldn't meet anywhere, real sound GAA men who know their stuff.

Na Glinntí Glasa

paddy was in there for training during the season as he would of been friends with Dominic outside of football in the first year he was there. he def helped at training for the lads as it gave them a voice and experience that wasnt present before in other panels.

second season he wasn't there as much and they had a lot of injuries during the season which left them with a bad start but they did finish strong near the end up. I would say he did have an influence on the team as he was an experience football brain that brought new ideas to the team but in saying that we have always had good football players in the club. Its only in the past years that it got into a decline. I rem us playing in senior championship semi finals but ultimately being so strong in the hurling also takes its toll.

I think its harder to be a successful dual club at all levels in the top grade consistently than it is for single code clubs. You always find that 80% of your panel will play both hurling and football and its hard to keep it going.

hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Quote from: inabsentia on December 12, 2016, 11:12:51 AM
Quote from: bogieman on December 09, 2016, 04:13:31 PM
Amalgamation Proposal / Vision:

Carey McQuillan Rovers
St Mary's Cuchullains 
St Brigids Sharmocks
Oisin Emmets RuairíÓg

St Enda's Ardoyne Pearses
Colin Davitts
St Agnes ÉireÓg
Gort Lamh Dhearg
St Patricks Teresa's Mitchels
O'Donnells St John's Galls
St Paul's Rossa Sarsfields
St Brigid's Malachy's

Magee's UiNeill Saints
St Ergnat's Erins Own
St Comgall's Creggan NanÓg
St. Mary's Casements Gaels
St Mary's James and Joseph

http://gaaboard.com/board/Smileys/default/wink.gif

What an awful idea
An awful idea indeed but when u consider this sprung from the mind of our county chairman and has the tacit support of such as Bannside.
Just what is the suggestion?
Is C D asking for clubs to fold and their better players to join up with their stronger neighbours?
I really do wonder just where he is coming from and indeed his understanding of our Association and if he gets his wish and wholesale amalgamations become reality who would be the beneficiaries?

Milltown Row2

I've been banging on here since I started on the board that there are far too many clubs in Belfast! All this other crap about Belfast having big numbers and should be doing better is stupid too... if that's the case Dublin should be winning county hurling every year seeing the numbers they have !

Clubs have been sanctioning players for years, sure Sean Stinsons was a great example of this, and numerous other north Antrim hurling clubs joined together, and still do, while my view on this has always been that clubs in Belfast should have 2 senior hurling clubs that are fed by other clubs... so your club keeps its identity till under 21 then they filter into a 'super' club which will have senior intermediate and junior set ups that will facilitate everyone, if the football is going the same way then let's look at before saying no..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2016, 09:10:33 PM
I've been banging on here since I started on the board that there are far too many clubs in Belfast! All this other crap about Belfast having big numbers and should be doing better is stupid too... if that's the case Dublin should be winning county hurling every year seeing the numbers they have !

Clubs have been sanctioning players for years, sure Sean Stinsons was a great example of this, and numerous other north Antrim hurling clubs joined together, and still do, while my view on this has always been that clubs in Belfast should have 2 senior hurling clubs that are fed by other clubs... so your club keeps its identity till under 21 then they filter into a 'super' club which will have senior intermediate and junior set ups that will facilitate everyone, if the football is going the same way then let's look at before saying no..

Surely a sanction and an amalgamation are 2 different things?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 12, 2016, 09:22:46 PM

Of course they are.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Just one question MR2.....do u feel quite happy with Gall's fading away into the blue mist, and in existence soley as a feeder juvenile outfit providing players for ur 'super club', say O'Donnell's just up the road?
Or do u look on the Milltown as a receiver rather than a giver?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 12, 2016, 09:45:16 PM
Just one question MR2.....do u feel quite happy with Gall's fading away into the blue mist, and in existence soley as a feeder juvenile outfit providing players for ur 'super club', say O'Donnell's just up the road?

You read my post??

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2016, 09:30:17 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on December 12, 2016, 09:22:46 PM

Of course they are.

Sean Stinsons aren't a sanctioning club i don't think, they are an almalgamation.

Personally i love going to city clubs for a game, always made welcome around them. We should be striving to hold on to all clubs and fight off the other sports.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2016, 09:57:57 PM

You read my post??
Certainly did and I am sure u are not suggesting Gall's as amongst the 'too many' and although I do remain a simple Culchie it does seem u are promoting the 'super club' idea and those other lesser outfits only holding on to identity until u-21 level and in existence simply to supply.
Try and preach such doctrine to country based clubs where a fierce loyalty and love of the parish is a fundamental......
Or do cross the bridge at Toome and travel up to Slaughtneill and preach ur doctrine there......200 houses therein about 10% or less of what u would count on the Whiterock road......and the most successful unit in Ulster and up there withe the best in Ireland....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 12, 2016, 10:16:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2016, 09:57:57 PM

You read my post??
Certainly did and I am sure u are not suggesting Gall's as amongst the 'too many' and although I do remain a simple Culchie it does seem u are promoting the 'super club' idea and those other lesser outfits only holding on to identity until u-21 level and in existence simply to supply.
Try and preach such doctrine to country based clubs where a fierce loyalty and love of the parish is a fundamental......
Or do cross the bridge at Toome and travel up to Slaughtneill and preach ur doctrine there......200 houses therein about 10% or less of what u would count on the Whiterock road......and the most successful unit in Ulster and up there withe the best in Ireland....

Ok so you didn't read it then, I said let's have a look at it (open it up for debate) I said I've wanted this idea for hurling...

I'm very proud of my clubs 106 year history and achievements (have I mentioned them ?) as a dual club with handball Scor and ladies football all very successful throughout the years I'm not keen on giving up our heritage but there are a lot of clubs that don't have the numbers anymore... S'Neil have a great generation of players, that won't always be there, you do accept that?

Think to rubbish the idea is foolish, it's not a winning formula either as history shows you that clubs get their run of success.. plenty clubs had barren years, Cargin being one of them but they bounce back

bannside

Just for the record my "tacit" support for amalgamations that CB alludes to is on a  need to basis. Where clubs simply cannot get the numbers out. Or where there is a serious lack of expertise because running a club is hard work. It's become a huge tick box exercise now, and a club needs dozens of really good volunteers now to get all the jobs done....properly.

That tacit approval is a last resort really, not a gung-ho  approach to forcing clubs against their will, but facilitating clubs to build strong well organised vibrant and sustainable clubs that act as a hub for both the community and on field excellence.

Is that not just commonsense?

theskull1

I've had a look at it and (speaking from a country club perspective) I think its a rubbish idea. Sanctions are there to get players  from clubs who've number issues an opportunity to play. Thats some extreme tinkering thats likely to cause world war 3 in some clubs

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera