Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

I take it the winner of the A side of the competition goes on to represent the County?

Or is there a play-off with the winners of B?

I'm not getting presumptuous or anything, I just happened to have a conversation about this earlier and didn't know what way it worked.
Keep 'er lit

Na Glinntí Glasa

i rem playing in the U21 football cship and it was during the season and was taken seriously by every club entering into it. Now its just chucked into the season to fit.

The hurling was dusted along time ago and it was an entertaining final played at a good time of the year. Its not as if our footballers are in the championship long enough for it to be in the way and the senior cship isnt played till later in the season. The most of the clubs in it are not dual so that shouldnt be a factor of hurling getting in the way.

we could of fielded a far stronger side but lads were carrying knocks from the hurling, ones working, college all star hurling trials are on etc it meant we had lads on the pitch who hadnt kicked a ball all year. Its a pity because we could of made a good fist at it had it been earlier in the season.

hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on November 17, 2016, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 17, 2016, 08:58:20 AM
went to our U21B game last night up in Ballymena. Its nights like that in November you really ask what in under god are playing that competition at this stage of the year?

We were badly weakened with some fellas working, injuries and to be honest the older minors were out on their feet after playing in the ulster hurling final 3 days before it. Ballymena looked much fresher than we did all over the field but fair play to them and good luck in the semi final.

Im actually glad were out of the competition because if we won we had another game and less rest and recovery before having to play Burren in the Ulster Football Championship.

I think that is the story of the U21 Championship these days - from what I can see teams struggle to not only get their best players out but in some cases even to field 15 players.  Throw into the mix a lot of players have not really being playing competitively since the summer, the terrible conditions and general lack of enthusiasm and you wonder what is the point.  Yes there will be one or two teams that go all out for it but I would say your story is that of the majority of clubs.  Part of the reason I fancy Aghagallon for the A competition is because they have been training and playing together competitively right up until last weekend in the Senior - yes not all U21 players have saw game time but at the same time there has been a high intensity training focus in the club right into the U21 competition which will probably be telling over the next few weeks.  Personally I would like to see it revert back to the way it was 10 or more years ago when it was played off in the spring/summer with a lot of teams going into it wanting to give it a real good go.

The other thing is the A and B sides - I actually like this because in theory it gives players between minor and senior at least 2 championship games but again would this not be of more benefit earlier in the year rather than at the tail end when some boys have seen very little football all year and even if they do show up well there is no step on into the senior teams who have quit for the year months ago.  On the B side is it not generally the way that good teams who get knocked out in a tough prelim round tie that tend to go on and dominate it - would you reckon looking at Ballymena they fall into this category - certainly from what I am hearing last nights game was being viewed as the B final.

I would say the other teams involved might have something to say about that.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on November 17, 2016, 09:59:47 AM
I'm saying CB that your scepticism does not extend to Cargin footballers who you expect to remain at the top table for the foreseeable future, building on their record breaking season this year which you have alluded to numerous times.

Nothing wrong with this by the way. Just saying like. Has JMB been appointed to your hotseat for next year?
Said nothing of the sort BS as being from Cargin we have learned to take one day, one season at a time.
Cargin folk are nothing if not optimistic as to future within the green and white as life has taught this lesson.
See nothing to suggest 'better times ahead' in the Saffron'. ::)

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 17, 2016, 12:18:00 PM
went to our U21B game last night up in Ballymena. Its nights like that in November you really ask what in under god are playing that competition at this stage of the year?

We were badly weakened with some fellas working, injuries and to be honest the older minors were out on their feet after playing in the ulster hurling final 3 days before it. Ballymena looked much fresher than we did all over the field but fair play to them and good luck in the semi final.

Im actually glad were out of the competition because if we won we had another game and less rest and recovery before having to play Burren in the Ulster Football Championship.

I think that is the story of the U21 Championship these days - from what I can see teams struggle to not only get their best players out but in some cases even to field 15 players.  Throw into the mix a lot of players have not really being playing competitively since the summer, the terrible conditions and general lack of enthusiasm and you wonder what is the point.  Yes there will be one or two teams that go all out for it but I would say your story is that of the majority of clubs.  Part of the reason I fancy Aghagallon for the A competition is because they have been training and playing together competitively right up until last weekend in the Senior - yes not all U21 players have saw game time but at the same time there has been a high intensity training focus in the club right into the U21 competition which will probably be telling over the next few weeks.  Personally I would like to see it revert back to the way it was 10 or more years ago when it was played off in the spring/summer with a lot of teams going into it wanting to give it a real good go.

The other thing is the A and B sides - I actually like this because in theory it gives players between minor and senior at least 2 championship games but again would this not be of more benefit earlier in the year rather than at the tail end when some boys have seen very little football all year and even if they do show up well there is no step on into the senior teams who have quit for the year months ago.  On the B side is it not generally the way that good teams who get knocked out in a tough prelim round tie that tend to go on and dominate it - would you reckon looking at Ballymena they fall into this category - certainly from what I am hearing last nights game was being viewed as the B final.

Of course they will and realistically it is hard to judge the strength of any club at this level - their minor teams of three years ago are not a guide either as a lot changes in that time but certainly the view I was given was that Dunloy and Ballymena were the two best teams in that side and Ballymena seem to have dispatched Dunloy handy enough which would suggest they have a pretty strong shout - or else my sources are not as up speed as they think they are  ???

bannside

Don't be going now and getting all modest on us CB! If you are being 100% honest you can't see anyone knocking Cargin off their perch for a few years at least. But that's ok with me because you see have earned the right to assume that. It's up to the others now to make up ground on the champions and close that gap.

So CB, who do you think will be the top 4 teams next year in Antrim and in what order?  Any word on Johnny Mc Bride. Has he been ratified yet?

bannside

G's  man the A winners represent the county in the Creggan tournament.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on November 17, 2016, 02:05:17 PM
Don't be going now and getting all modest on us CB! If you are being 100% honest you can't see anyone knocking Cargin off their perch for a few years at least. But that's ok with me because you see have earned the right to assume that. It's up to the others now to make up ground on the champions and close that gap.

So CB, who do you think will be the top 4 teams next year in Antrim and in what order?  Any word on Johnny Mc Bride. Has he been ratified yet?

Top 4 teams in my opinion.

1. Cargin
2. St Galls
3. Lamh Dhearg
4. Portglenone

bannside

I see Rossa gave St Endas a fair oul thumping in their U21 A match last weekend.

That's a great win for Rossa considering the fact that the St Endas men had 6 county under twenty ones playing against Derry earlier this year!! And Rossa had none.

Anyone with an inside track on how this can happen?  Were St Endas vastly understrength? Were Rossa just too strong? Something not adding up here at all.......

bannside

Kevin Madden won't like that Paddyjohn lol. Were Creggan not second in the league and took the champions to a replay...and won the O Cahan Cup too!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on November 17, 2016, 02:14:24 PM
I see Rossa gave St Endas a fair oul thumping in their U21 A match last weekend.

That's a great win for Rossa considering the fact that the St Endas men had 6 county under twenty ones playing against Derry earlier this year!! And Rossa had none.

Anyone with an inside track on how this can happen?  Were St Endas vastly understrength? Were Rossa just too strong? Something not adding up here at all.......
Think u'll find that St Paul's were on the receiving end in that one BS.

bannside

That makes sense now CB. Couldn't get my head round that at all. St Endas at full strength must be favourites.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hectic on November 17, 2016, 02:02:09 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 17, 2016, 12:18:00 PM

Of course they will and realistically it is hard to judge the strength of any club at this level - their minor teams of three years ago are not a guide either as a lot changes in that time but certainly the view I was given was that Dunloy and Ballymena were the two best teams in that side and Ballymena seem to have dispatched Dunloy handy enough which would suggest they have a pretty strong shout - or else my sources are not as up speed as they think they are  ???

if we had a full team we would of won that game last night if im honest. that and the fact they played a tough ulster hurling final 3 days earlier against Dungiven.

It is a bit of a blessing we are out as they needed a break if they are expected to compete in the St Pauls Ulster tournament.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on November 17, 2016, 02:17:43 PM
Kevin Madden won't like that Paddyjohn lol. Were Creggan not second in the league and took the champions to a replay...and won the O Cahan Cup too!

In the past BS... Trust me, you know it makes sense!!

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 17, 2016, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: bannside on November 17, 2016, 02:05:17 PM

Top 4 teams in my opinion.

1. Cargin
2. St Galls
3. Lamh Dhearg
4. Portglenone

No Creggan?  St Johns must be ready to kick on also.