Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

How many creggan guys are on the panel? I take it they're not available until after the hurling?

I thought the two johnstons were there.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hectic on January 07, 2016, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 06, 2016, 10:31:24 AM
yeah i thought that was the way its to pan out. 11 games then a split with a further 5 games  to sort it out.

More or less the same format as last season that was done in Div 3 where we played a few at home and a few away to decide what happened.

It worked well from what i seen.

I am not so sure about the split on the basis of last years Div 3 - from what I could gather some teams ended up with more home games than others and fairly lop sided in some instances.  I think it was a case that if you already played a team away for example you then got them at home after the split.  Problem being that you could have ended up with as many as 5 games at home after the split while some of your rivals could have had as little as two and over the course of the season in this could have seen some teams with maybe as few as 8 home games compared to others having 12 or 13.  Not good for gate receipts even allowing for television income and as for a level playing field.....

That was the way it worked out. We had already played Glenravel away in the league some when the split came we had to play them at home, which worked out as the decider for us to go up.

It works the same way in the hurling as well with the split. If you play them at home before the split i.e Cdall then if your still in the top 6 you play them away.

I suppose its about trying to balance it out fairly for each club.

Or what you could do is appeal it at the end of the season and waste everyones time in having a relegation/promotion scrap!
hurl like f**k boi!

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 07, 2016, 03:05:22 PM
Quote from: Hectic on January 07, 2016, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 06, 2016, 10:31:24 AM
yeah i thought that was the way its to pan out. 11 games then a split with a further 5 games  to sort it out.

More or less the same format as last season that was done in Div 3 where we played a few at home and a few away to decide what happened.

It worked well from what i seen.

I am not so sure about the split on the basis of last years Div 3 - from what I could gather some teams ended up with more home games than others and fairly lop sided in some instances.  I think it was a case that if you already played a team away for example you then got them at home after the split.  Problem being that you could have ended up with as many as 5 games at home after the split while some of your rivals could have had as little as two and over the course of the season in this could have seen some teams with maybe as few as 8 home games compared to others having 12 or 13.  Not good for gate receipts even allowing for television income and as for a level playing field.....

That was the way it worked out. We had already played Glenravel away in the league some when the split came we had to play them at home, which worked out as the decider for us to go up.

It works the same way in the hurling as well with the split. If you play them at home before the split i.e Cdall then if your still in the top 6 you play them away.

I suppose its about trying to balance it out fairly for each club.

Or what you could do is appeal it at the end of the season and waste everyones time in having a relegation/promotion scrap!

Which is more important, playing your rivals both home and away or having a fair split of home games? i think the case of playing your rivals home and away is far better and the fairest way of a split. only thing could be possibly in year 2 the pre split fixtures are reversed, i.e. if St Johns played Cargin at home pre split in 2016 then it gets reversed the following season with new clubs taking over from relegated clubs so when doing fixtures 1st in div 2 takes bottom in div 1 place in the following years fixture calculation if that makes sense.

bannside

Both Johnston on Poly panel.

Hectic

Thing is you get the same number of points for beating any team and not just your rival(s). I have not bothered to trail through last years results but I would hazrad a guess that the majority of teams average more points per game at home than away. As such I believe that it is important to have a balance of home and away games.

Catch and Kick

Have Antrim now got the most lethal forward line ever to line out at inter county level? Those goals have gone viral! Promotion and a good run in the Championship are definitely achievable.

CentreHalfBack

Bam now up for an All Star ::)
New season - new reason

CentreHalfBack

I believe there is a CCC meeting tomorrow night.

Anyone know who sits on this committee this year?
New season - new reason

Glensman

Quote from: CentreHalfBack on January 10, 2016, 05:27:41 PM

Is this the first meeting of he year. Usual time for people to start the cries of "When at the fixtures out?!".

So I'll start - When are the fixtures out or at the very least the dates for hurling/football?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Glensman on January 10, 2016, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: CentreHalfBack on January 10, 2016, 05:27:41 PM

Is this the first meeting of he year. Usual time for people to start the cries of "When at the fixtures out?!".

So I'll start - When are the fixtures out or at the very least the dates for hurling/football?

Sure we know when they are starting and whose in the leagues...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 10, 2016, 11:22:23 PM
Any word on a manager for yourselves yet, Milltown?

Yep in house and a great all round clubman!! Paddy McShane.... Will bring plenty experience and undoubted passion to the seniors...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

What are the odds on a Cargin v Gall's pairing in the opening round of the championship again in '16 MR2?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 12, 2016, 11:05:43 AM
What are the odds on a Cargin v Gall's pairing in the opening round of the championship again in '16 MR2?

Well, I wouldn't think we would be top seeds now, that has gone so maybe yourselves and Lamhs may be kept apart this time  ;D

country bumpkin

Top four are seeded as per league placing at the end of the 2015.......think Gall's finished second Cargin in third.......

country bumpkin

The always generous Mr Power has ur lads installed as favourites MR2...............as follows; Gall's 6/5 Cargin 6/4, L Dearg 7/1, Creggan 9/1, Johnnies 16/1, Ahoghill 28/1, Aldergrove 33/1, St Paul's 40/1, Casement's 40/1, St Brigid's 40/1...........what u think?
Gonna have a tenner on the men from the Hill, hear they are likely to be busy on the transfer market................u wanna bet? ???