Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 10:13:25 PM
I can understand why some posters might be saying more power to CJ because he exposed the County Board's shortcomings.  I think we all share that frustration.  My annoyance at CJ has got more to with him speaking out of shop about the manager no matter how much he tried to sugar coat it afterwards.  All players should stay loyal to their manager.  Public criticism is tantamount to treason in my view and it simply isn't fair.

You are hiding behind a keyboard giving him stick... Shoes worse?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Sure it's always the managers fault, have we learnt nothing over the years from the McGourtys
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

bannside

Maybe CJ is being a bit opportunist Curious, or maybe he strongly feels the need to name and shame. His expenses theory became more relevant with a specific case as opposed to a general example. The name added more credibility to it.

The GAA has to realise that it has a very public face even if it was mostly built on volunteerism.

There are paid officials everywhere who get large mileage expenses on top of their already well paid 9-5 jobs. All we ask is that we get a more professional and accountable service from them. Gone are the days of the "wipe it under the table" mindset or the "we are the county board and we can do whatever we want" brigade.

Things happen in Antrim time after time that would not be acceptable in many other counties. I could name you half a dozen players who have serious gripes with the county over issues relating to expenses or physio bills or attention to rehab for our elite players.

I think that's actually the crux. Our county officers do not see our elite players as just that. They are merely liabilities on an expenses sheet. The quicker our county footballers exit the qualifiers the better it will be. It costs money to prepare a football or hurling team to compete at this level, and....well sure we won't win anything so why go to the bother! The sooner it's over the better. And don't be swapping those jerseys either because they are needed next year.

Having said all this (nothing new) the challenge is to encourage a few capable people to get involved and shake up the mediocrity. If we elect the same type of people we will get the...you know the rest!

bannside

The county will point out that there are no finances to fund a lot of what we need. And yes they do have a requirement to be financially prudent, and to try to balance the books.

We talk about the need for proper structures and proven managers and quality coaching etc etc. It's all to easy to point this out - we all know what we need.

The big problem us finding a solution that doesn't cost money we don't have. And why do we not gave it and other counties do?

Most counties can fund the basics, but rely heavily on individual and corporate contributions  to fund the extras. This requires goodwill but most importantly trust. Unfortunately both are in short supply at the minute.

The big question here is will corporate sponsors come forward to assist Antrim whilst it is under the current leadership. The simple and short answer is no.

If these men were really caring about Antrim they would serve notice to resign and commit to a sensible time frame to assist, cooperate and in good faith mentor some new blood.

Unfortunately that's the only way forward if they truly have the county's best interests at heart.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 10:25:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2015, 10:16:52 PM
Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 10:13:25 PM
I can understand why some posters might be saying more power to CJ because he exposed the County Board's shortcomings.  I think we all share that frustration.  My annoyance at CJ has got more to with him speaking out of shop about the manager no matter how much he tried to sugar coat it afterwards.  All players should stay loyal to their manager.  Public criticism is tantamount to treason in my view and it simply isn't fair.

You are hiding behind a keyboard giving him stick... Shoes worse?

No more hiding that everyone else on here.  He put himself out there on national radio and made his views about the issue. I'm giving my opinion on it.

I'm not hiding.... But you do see the irony in your post?  Rightly or or wrongly he'll stand by his opinion and not (on this occasion) hide behind a keyboard
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Sure the hurl carrier will solve all our problems Bannside.........those who look forward to a brighter future under the new regime which is anticipated under the little guy are barking at the moon......... :'(

passedit

Quote from: bannside on June 25, 2015, 10:45:22 PM
The big question here is will corporate sponsors come forward to assist Antrim whilst it is under the current leadership. The simple and short answer is no.

Not when the current county sponsors are treated so appallingly by the CB. Surprised more hasn't been made of the jersey issue. In any half decently run county that's EGM out on yer ear the lot of ye right there.

Grounds for legal action n'all if the sponsors were  so minded.
Don't Panic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 10:48:54 PM
Do you think Fitsy was fair game?

That's a different question to the one I put to you, if you want to publically lambast an Antrim player through a medium such as the GAA board I don't think there is any difference to what CJ did... And what CJ said is tame compared to some of the libellous crap on here... Again I don't have a judgement on this as I'm not sure of the rights and wrongs of this... The likes of Bannside (whose views on most things football is on the money) would be one id listen to ... And again he doesn't shy from letting other posters know who he is

curious

Bannside,  If I was the named player, I would not be happy with  McGourty publicly referencing reported  issues. I do of course accept that the player may have given authority to be referred to though I have to say I suspect that was not the case. If McGourty is going to speak on behalf of Antrim GPA, I suggest he undertakes a bit of media training in how to handle these things. Rather than focusing on the specifics, I think he would have made more impact by itemising all the issues he is aware of. Such a continuum would have been more effective as demonstrative of Board incompetency.

Antrim GAA reminds me of what is said about alcoholics, namely that treatment of the condition begins with recognition that the condition exists! I suggest that there are many counties which suffer from under resourcing, no history of success etc but which have fronted up to what is strategically required and have taken action to improve things. - Tipperary football woulod be an example.

Any serious  Antrim strategic  project will take years to deliver.There is no point in repeating the requirements for development. As you say, everybody knows what they are

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2015, 10:57:31 PM

That's a different question to the one I put to you, if you want to publically lambast an Antrim player through a medium such as the GAA board I don't think there is any difference to what CJ did... And what CJ said is tame compared to some of the libellous crap on here... Again I don't have a judgement on this as I'm not sure of the rights and wrongs of this... The likes of Bannside (whose views on most things football is on the money) would be one id listen to ... And again he doesn't shy from letting other posters know who he is
MR2 like myself u are undoubtedly always ready to stand upright straight and tall in defense of your club and all within, but although I will be the first to say that CJ is a hugely talented individual he seems to be an quite abrasive character with strong opinions and sometimes he would be better served to keep his counsel................especially when the press would call. 
"Libelous crap"..............well I do reside in Cargin! ::)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 11:07:41 PM

Convenient.

I didn't go on national radio to lambast anyone.  CJ did and when he did, he had a pop at Fitsy.  That's wrong no matter what Bannside reckons.

You do accept though that you are hiding behind an alias and giving out about someone?? Convenient?? I'm not in the know or know enough of the background of this to pass judgement... Are you?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 25, 2015, 11:15:06 PM

MR2 like myself u are undoubtedly always ready to stand upright straight and tall in defense of your club and all within, but although I will be the first to say that CJ is a hugely talented individual he seems to be an quite abrasive character with strong opinions and sometimes he would be better served to keep his counsel................especially when the press would call. 
"Libelous crap"..............well I do reside in Cargin! ::)

I've never denied that CJ is too up front with his views, and that's as a manager to him and as a player on the team... I've had many disagreements with him and others within the club... No backdoor's that's not a bad trait to have if well managed

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 11:20:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2015, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 11:07:41 PM

Convenient.

I didn't go on national radio to lambast anyone.  CJ did and when he did, he had a pop at Fitsy.  That's wrong no matter what Bannside reckons.

You do accept though that you are hiding behind an alias and giving out about someone?? Convenient?? I'm not in the know or know enough of the background of this to pass judgement... Are you?

Milltown Row 2? That your real name?

You obviously not been on long... If you look back through the posts someone with a bit of wit will work it out

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 25, 2015, 11:27:23 PM
Sorry. I didn't realise you were that famous.

Anyway, I see you point. How could I not? But - Fitsy didn't say a bad word about anyone and is widely believed to have managed the situation well.  CJ went on radio and had a pop at him.  That's wrong unless you believe otherwise.

So the whole interview was to have a pop at Fitzy?? Was it that Fitzy told the lads to play but dropped them on the day of the game that probably was his main gripe...

I'm not even famous in my own house let alone the 'board' I'm like you giving opinions debating but we are all challenged on here and there is a bitta wind ups going on.

bannside

Curious, I agree with you that if a media pro had prepared CJ for the interview it would have been a lot slicker. A few well rehearsed bullet points and all that. Make the most of the airtime to look really polished and articulate. As it was he did ok (for an off the cuff Q&A) but in time will learn to ask for his questions on advance via email and take an hour to construct a well thought out response. As MR2 says CJ is more a "this is the way I see it" straight from the hip guy and in time will learn that the media can be a powerful tool if properly used.

The reference to Fitzy should have been avoided but Fitzy is big enough to take the hit in a way that a lesser or more insecure man might not.

As someone said previously it's a good job both teams won instead of the other way around! Think of the stink THAT would have caused?