Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

final venue is most likely to be either ahoghill or creggan...................the county will go where they can expect a crowd and either of those venues will ensure a big attendance...............the word is that Cargin will be dealing from a full deck this time, no reported injuries...as for formation............well they have plotted a very different course to the final this term, in terms of training and in team formations, and would expect a change of tactics in the final.................but?

Gizzy15

Minor B hurling final,
Minor A hurling final,
Reserve hurling cup,
Junior hurling final,
Intermediate hurling Final,
Senior hurling final.
U-21 hurling final.

Minor B Football final
Reserve Shield  football Final
Reserve Cup football final
Junior football final
Intermediate football final

All the above finals have taken place at north antrim or South west venues so far. The only other all county final played already was the Minor A football final which took place at Lamh Dhearg. Would it be a sin if the Senior final was at a belfast venue bannside/bumpkin.

I wouldn't mind if all the Finals had to be held at the temp county grounds of Creegan or Ballycastle but these finals have also been held in Glenavy, Ahoghill, ballymena, Loughgiel. So there seems to be a mix of venues with the exception of any from south antrim board. If this were to develop like this over the next few years it wouldn't do much to develop clubs in south antrim. They are All County Competitions so why not have them all over they county while we have no where to call home.

manballandall

Corrigan is what st galls have been told to date

imtommygunn

Gizzy country teams have been going to belfast for years. Should be in the best ground - wherever that is - doesn't matter if country or city. Ahoghill better than those i think.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on October 06, 2014, 05:06:08 PM
Thanks Glens and ML. The club was mental alright and the pubs in the town are going well today too.  Great for guys like Owen Doc, Tony Convery,  Brian Mc Cann  and Martin Mc Carry who have soldiered on well into their thirties with very little medal ware to show for very distinguished careers. They lost a lot of finals along the way so it's great for them and they got a great reception last night in the club.

Some of our younger players can't stop winning medals it seems. Reserve league. Reserve c'ship. Div 2 league (hopefully) intermediate championship to go with under-21 championship last year. That's possibly 5 medals for some of them to collect at our dinner dance later this year.

not only that, bit if it wasnt for doc, yous could have struggled - made some difference when introduced at HT, done the simple things well and was influential during that purple patch

Congrats - good luck in the Ulster Club
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Gizzy15

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 06, 2014, 09:26:10 PM
Gizzy country teams have been going to belfast for years. Should be in the best ground - wherever that is - doesn't matter if country or city. Ahoghill better than those i think.

Finals in belfast were in Casement.. Yes
As I said tommy I wouldn't mind if it were the designated county grounds but it's not.
If it be best ground they why change to so many and why all up the country.
Surely out of 9 or 10 senior finals this year at least 1 could be in city???
If not as they are not the best venue then what is the exact criteria for picking???

I know these rant all questions that can be answered here but it's just the frustrations that this county creates.

country bumpkin

I hear that St Gall's are pushing the buttons seeking a Belfast venue for the football final....................are they wobbling a little ..............hear they have lost the services of McClean to add to the injury list, and rumor has it that another has walked away from the panel.............heard little talk on venues when they were playing all of their championship games in Casement...............fact is that the best available grounds (to include safe parking space) to host county finals are in the country, and until the resurrection of casement this will continue..............fact! ??? ???

culchie11

Congrats to casements & st malachys on their wins yesterday, both deserved it on the day. Good luck in ulster to both.
IFC final lived up to its billing and was a close encounter, once again goals win games.
Some great battles all over the pitch, ref let it flow which made for an exciting game & I think the big hits took their toll on Moneyglass as the game went on.

Apparently sfc final venue was decided tonight by county exec. Haven't heard where yet but I would put Ahoghill right up there. 1st class effort this year and last for finals. From playing surface to parking and facilities. Lamh dhearg would be the only venue in Belfast that could offer suitable parking for county final.

Milltown Row2

Does it matter and will it effect the result? We have beaten Cargin in every final, i Dont think the final venue matters to either 15 players. Cargin are the in form team quality players all over the place. With a sense of belief they may get one up on us. Law of averages would say that. We are an aging team but one that knows how to dig deep when its needed. Should be a good final... If Cargin turn up ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DearyMe

Me thinks country bumpkin is spinning one!!!
Galls are fine, no walk outs, no injuries - in fact about 4/5 from the 2010 AI winning team chomping to get in...

If we are talking about the best venues then Ballycastle would get the shout (but thats not going to happen)

One year in country/one year in city!  Thats the way it should work depending on teams invoved! And by the looks of Casement we could be doing that for many many years to come!!! ;)
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Atticus_Finch

Senior Final confirmed for Sunday 19th in Ahoghill.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

country bumpkin

spinning a couple indeed DM and i look forward to seeing a fully fit Anderw Mc Clean lining out at full back for the gall's v Magill and i am sure Anto Healey will return at wing half back to put the stoppers on Tomas Mc Cann................will Sean Burke rule the middle?

manballandall

Burkey out for the season unfortunately , massive loss.
But st galls will never fear playing cargin in a county final . It's always the other way round which always baffled me as I think on paper they have as good if not better players , most with county experience .
I fancied cargin last year and it was there for the taking and after Saturdays display I doubt this year will be any different .
My biggest critique of galls is that we don't kill games off and allow teams a glimmer of hope, has came back to haunt us in recent years in ulster but time will tell who turns up this year.

DearyMe

You're barking up the wrong tree CB.  Of course Burkey will be out.
As for the other 2, think we may have to wait and see!  But these are certainly unfair on Cargin, who would have wanted to beat Galls full compliment.
I would say the advantage is with Cargin, especially now that its in Ahoghill again.

It beggars belief that we arrange fixture for same as Derry, given how many usually attend our county final.

I couldn't see the whole pitch last year, parking was a joke!  Glenavy, Lamhs parking 'spot on'.
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

country bumpkin

Just why do u think that the Ahoghill venue is advantageous for Cargin DM?.....................sure the last time Cargin did beat the Milltown men in championship was in Casement..............they have failed to repeat such in Creggan and Ahoghill in recent times.