Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brick

Any word on Antrim team for this weekend? Is it true that 3 players have walked away from the panel?

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 14, 2014, 09:49:54 AM
Bit hard there on Mickey80 there. Come out and tell us what you think lad you are entitled to your opinion.

You are not the first to talk about these "inflated egos". Nor are you the first to think it is embarassing being an Antrim Football supporter at the minute.

But we are certainly not the second worst football team in the country thats for sure. The players we have are a lot better than that. Just over a year ago we played Derry in a Mc Kenna cup match. Believe me Brian Mc Ivor wasnt turning Derry out to lose. We drew that game in Celtic Pk playing great football - in fact we threw it away when a forward shit himself near the end and missed a 21 yard tap over to win it.

Derry are near the top of Division One, and we are near the bottom of Division Four. Likewise we beat Down just over six weeks ago in Newry. And James Mc Cartan was not trying to lose at home to Antrim.

We HAVE the players to be at the very least a mid division two team. So what are we doing wrong?? Last year Frank Dawson was getting dogs abuse on here, and now we cant buy a win in Division Four. Is it the boards fault? Is it the managements fault? Is it the players fault?

I know one thing. Unless it gets sorted, a lot of Club Antrim standing orders will be cancelled and there will be no one pay to watch a bunch of failures playing in Europes finest new stadium.

Leadership comes from the top, and if they dont give a damn why should anyone else.

Mickey's right about the ego's and gaunching from boys who've done very little really yet have an elevated opinions of themselves. I'm sure team spirit isn't great.
Thing is they should all be doing it for the county and love of the county, not themselves.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

The bottom line is that it should be an honour to represent your county. How much honour is attached to being a member of the what many are saying is the worst performing Antrim team/panel in living memory.

But Football is a funny oul game (as they say) and a good performance (or result)against Tipp on Sunday might just start to turn the tide. Tipp are not a bad team and are rightly favourites, so Sunday might just be a timely opportunity for the players to make their own statement. That will be an indicator of sorts. A performance will be seen as a step in the right direction, but if its a lukewarm response from the players Baker will be starting to wonder if it was such a good idea to make a comeback.

Come on lads.Time to get this sorted.

AQMP

Tipp 2-9 Ant 1-6 HT

Wicklow bate Carlow by 11.

AQMP

Concede 3-20 this week, that's 6-35 in two Div 4 games!!

AQMP

Quote from: AQMP on March 16, 2014, 02:47:29 PM
Tipp 2-9 Ant 1-6 HT

Wicklow bate Carlow by 11.
Wicklow score corrected by GAA site. Wick win by 1.

Minder

Quote from: bannside on March 14, 2014, 09:49:54 AM
Bit hard there on Mickey80 there. Come out and tell us what you think lad you are entitled to your opinion.

You are not the first to talk about these "inflated egos". Nor are you the first to think it is embarassing being an Antrim Football supporter at the minute.

But we are certainly not the second worst football team in the country thats for sure. The players we have are a lot better than that. Just over a year ago we played Derry in a Mc Kenna cup match. Believe me Brian Mc Ivor wasnt turning Derry out to lose. We drew that game in Celtic Pk playing great football - in fact we threw it away when a forward shit himself near the end and missed a 21 yard tap over to win it.

Derry are near the top of Division One, and we are near the bottom of Division Four. Likewise we beat Down just over six weeks ago in Newry. And James Mc Cartan was not trying to lose at home to Antrim.

We HAVE the players to be at the very least a mid division two team. So what are we doing wrong?? Last year Frank Dawson was getting dogs abuse on here, and now we cant buy a win in Division Four. Is it the boards fault? Is it the managements fault? Is it the players fault?

I know one thing. Unless it gets sorted, a lot of Club Antrim standing orders will be cancelled and there will be no one pay to watch a bunch of failures playing in Europes finest new stadium.

Leadership comes from the top, and if they dont give a damn why should anyone else.

There is absolutely no evidence to back that up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bannside

I totally understand how ludicrous that assertion looks tonight Minder on the back of recent performances. Cant argue with the stats AQMP has posted either. But we have to hold on an aspiration to play at a higher level - because once we concede that possibility we might as well all throw the towel in.

Two years ago Derry and Monaghan were in disarray (by their standards, not ours). They appointed two men that I had promoted for Antrim, as both were available at that time. Mc Iver took Derry out of div 2 at first attempt and look at them today beating the Dubs and near top of Division One. Definitely on a very progressive curve. Malachy O Rourke won an Ulster c`ship at the first attemp, and also won promotion from div 3. And still progressing. Remarkable progress as he had already demonstrated at The Loup (Ulster club winners) and with Fermanagh with whom he remarkably prepared to draw an Ulster final against Armagh in 2008.

Disarray can be turned around lads, but it takes vision, leadership and a united desire. As a dual county where our hurling budget is set to more than double our football budget, its clear that our co board are totally disinterested in football. Thats the reality, most of them either dont care or dont know. As I said before - which is worse?

And as for having any ambition for Antrim Football - just speak to John Rafferty or Seamus Mc Eneaney who were both interviwed for the post several months ago, and listen to what they have to say about how their ambitious plans were knocked back. Youre not allowed to have any ambition for Antrim Football. Get used to it. A bag of balls and away you go and can you pitch share with Under 21`s like good lads. Chickens coming home to roost now, arnt they??

Hopefully our under 21`s (on their shoestring budget) will offer some glimpse of a better future when they meet Armagh on Wednesday night. If we really want a blueprint for the future then we should be watching closely at what Cavan are doing at this level.

But then again ANY blueprint would be a start, wouldnt it?

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 16, 2014, 07:52:48 PM
I totally understand how ludicrous that assertion looks tonight Minder on the back of recent performances. Cant argue with the stats AQMP has posted either. But we have to hold on an aspiration to play at a higher level - because once we concede that possibility we might as well all throw the towel in.

Two years ago Derry and Monaghan were in disarray (by their standards, not ours). They appointed two men that I had promoted for Antrim, as both were available at that time. Mc Iver took Derry out of div 2 at first attempt and look at them today beating the Dubs and near top of Division One. Definitely on a very progressive curve. Malachy O Rourke won an Ulster c`ship at the first attemp, and also won promotion from div 3. And still progressing. Remarkable progress as he had already demonstrated at The Loup (Ulster club winners) and with Fermanagh with whom he remarkably prepared to draw an Ulster final against Armagh in 2008.

Disarray can be turned around lads, but it takes vision, leadership and a united desire. As a dual county where our hurling budget is set to more than double our football budget, its clear that our co board are totally disinterested in football. Thats the reality, most of them either dont care or dont know. As I said before - which is worse?

And as for having any ambition for Antrim Football - just speak to John Rafferty or Seamus Mc Eneaney who were both interviwed for the post several months ago, and listen to what they have to say about how their ambitious plans were knocked back. Youre not allowed to have any ambition for Antrim Football. Get used to it. A bag of balls and away you go and can you pitch share with Under 21`s like good lads. Chickens coming home to roost now, arnt they??

Hopefully our under 21`s (on their shoestring budget) will offer some glimpse of a better future when they meet Armagh on Wednesday night. If we really want a blueprint for the future then we should be watching closely at what Cavan are doing at this level.

[/quoteAgree totally with every single word you say Bannside.............Football has always been a second cousin in the aspirations of this county and it will never change.]

Gold

Quote from: bannside on March 16, 2014, 07:52:48 PM

We will do well to beat Armagh tomorrow night. Were inept v Derry last year. Hope we go out and play with guts and fire from the start--not waiting to see what they do first and then trying to make a comeback when the game is gone.

Tipp aren't a bad side but conceding 3-20 to them is unreal.

Managers can only do so much, players make the difference.

We massively miss Loughrey (constantly broke gain line, setting up points and goals and also our best defender) , not having a  focal point in attack and Tomas McCann also. Terry O'Neill and A Gallagher are losses too, although both are gone a while now. If you think back to our 1 point win v Donegal and 3 point win v Cavan in 09--those players were all playing well and are all still of playing (perhaps peak) age.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Was at Ahoghill last night to see our minors put up a gutsy display against a very impressive Tyrone team in the Ulster minor league.  Tyrone pulled away at the end to open up the scoreboard, but with ten to go it was anyones game. Cant see any team in Ulster beating Tyrone this year, maybe even an all Ireland in them.

Plenty to like about this Antrim minor team too and a strong management team that will get the best out of them.

And just for the record I noted that the Tyrone squad and management of 40 got a meal in the pavillion in Cloney after the game - and the Antrim players went home with nothing! Disgraceful.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on March 19, 2014, 11:20:26 AM
Was at Ahoghill last night to see our minors put up a gutsy display against a very impressive Tyrone team in the Ulster minor league.  Tyrone pulled away at the end to open up the scoreboard, but with ten to go it was anyones game. Cant see any team in Ulster beating Tyrone this year, maybe even an all Ireland in them.

Plenty to like about this Antrim minor team too and a strong management team that will get the best out of them.

And just for the record I noted that the Tyrone squad and management of 40 got a meal in the pavillion in Cloney after the game - and the Antrim players went home with nothing! Disgraceful.

Need the money to fight the social club?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I thought so too. I think it was at the request of the Tyrone board who, as standard practice, make sure their players are feed after training and matches. Id say they would be volunteering to pay for the service themselves separately. Didnt look good though, and these are the things our young players are sure to notice.

Having said that we must have some realism too. We are not Tyrone, and neither are many other counties if we were to be totally honest about it. They are an out and out football army. They also had a very professional looking outfit filming their game. It wouldnt surprise me if every player had a DVD given to them of the match. The stats will have been deducted in detail, and every player will be corrected in any aspects of their game that can be improved.

Panels of 24 are the norm and as far as I know there is a fine if this is not adhered to. But Tyrone keep a panel of 35, and probably dont object to the fine. You have to hand it to them - their standards are consistently high year on year. Up there with the Dubs in organisation, structure, leadership and ambition.

I should mention that Antrim didnt even have a full and proper kit. Apparently thats on the way...........

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 19, 2014, 01:27:49 PM
Did we not even have any of those microwave dinners left over from the infamous can't cook won't cook Dinny Cahill episode?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

FFS how f**king hard is it to do a chicken curry for 30 people 12 or so fillets curry paste, oinions, garlic and some f**king rice???
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I know. Even by our own standards I thought this one was particularly lousy.