Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Centre half or full forward is the question though.

bannside

Kevin could play either. In an ideal world I would have Kevin at 11 and Michael Magill at 14. Both would be considered as our best natural ball winners, and both have the strength to hold and use or break a tackle.

Some may offer a view that Michael Magill has had plenty of chances, but I personally believe he was the stand out FF in the club scene last year. I think he has added a new dimension to his game - a very unselfish user of the ball with Cargin, and more concerned with the team nett result than his own scoring return. If we are to be a threat to anyone we need this aspect of our play improved in the forward line.

Gooch/Jamie Clarke can still be the best forwards on the pitch and possibly score very little. Its a team game and we need a man who can win dirty ball and bring the other players around him into the game. Baker is bound to know that a fit Magill would be a huge asset and I know if it was me I would be trying to get a handle on this as soon as possible. And on the point of club form, surely Mark Dougan with his cruel run of injuries over, has to be worth a place on the panel at the very least.

We seem to have these discussions almost on an annual basis ( thinking of additional players who should be brought in) and for all I know there is a good reason why some of the absent players are not in. But why as a county do we always seem to have more of our quality players missing than anyone else.

Everyone on here could make a case for lots of players who should be good enough to make the team/panel, including (but not limited to) a number of absent St Galls players who have regularly showed they have the quality to play at this level.

The really frustrating thing for me is that as a county we have some great players, but for one reason or another we cant get them all into a settled team at the one time. If we could I would say we would hold our own with,lets say Monaghan for example who won Ulster last year and are in Division two. So while a lot of this can be cynically written off as "hypothetical", there is no doubt that getting the reasons sorted why we miss out on so much quality each year is the biggest problem we need to sort out.

Anyone agree/disagree?

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 12, 2014, 09:39:48 AM

Justin Crozier is one of the best centre backs in Ulster.............just why Baker is following Dawson's lead and continuing to play him in the full back line is beyond me..........

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 13, 2014, 10:43:59 AM

Justin Crozier is one of the best centre backs in Ulster.............just why Baker is following Dawson's lead and continuing to play him in the full back line is beyond me..........

Agreed on this to a point, not so much a centre back but in the half back wings, we could get other players to play in the corners
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 13, 2014, 10:43:59 AM

Crozier is a good player and merits his place on the team but he's not one of the best in ulster. He's still not living up to his potential just yet... If they found him a fixed position then that would help - preferrably in the half back line as that's where he's best.

bannside

See the team listed for Sundays must win game.  Johnston brothers back and Conor Murray back in. Expect to see a decent winning performance that can kick start the season.

AQMP

Quote from: bannside on February 28, 2014, 09:43:13 AM
See the team listed for Sundays must win game.  Johnston brothers back and Conor Murray back in. Expect to see a decent winning performance that can kick start the season.

Is McKeever on Sigerson duty??

Gold

Quote from: AQMP on February 28, 2014, 01:06:26 PM

Yeah. Hard in training for Sigerson 2015.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AQMP

Quote from: Gold on February 28, 2014, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: AQMP on February 28, 2014, 01:06:26 PM

Yeah. Hard in training for Sigerson 2015.

We're a week behind here in the West :-[

AQMP

Antrim lead 0-13 - 0-3 after 11 mins of 2nd half

AQMP

WooHoo!!

FT: Antrim 1-17 Waterford 0-6

imtommygunn

First win! Didn't make the game but Cj on fire again it seems. Onwards and upwards and hopefully the teams who beat us will get points taken off them too. I think they will.

bannside

There is definitely the need for more information about this social club situation if what you are saying is true HS. Thats a serious amount of money for a county that's constantly broke. Unless Ulster is backing (covering) their movement on all of this, then at the very least tough questions need to be asked.

On the plus side, two points yesterday. Some good individual performances, with CJ producing two in a row thats the main positive. More of same please.

The rest of the results suggesting ten points should be okay. Then it comes down to scoring difference, and hopefully we wont regret not putting away at least three more goal chances that went astray yesterday. Waterford very poor, no better than a good club team but a wins a win.

Gizzy15

Quote from: hardstation on March 02, 2014, 05:52:27 PM
Well done to our players and management.

But, by fcuk, our county executive are some shower of cnuts.

Despite previously costing our county £50,000+ for illegally closing Casement Social Club, they have gone and done it again. They have gone against legal advice (which they received only 2 weeks ago) and turned off the electricity. Of course, this hasn't closed the club.

This will, however, present another legal case against our county and another possible loss of money.

A question for Jim Murray & Frankie Quinn - what are you getting out if this, you two scheming shyster cnuts? I hope it's worth it.

Another court battle looming for the cunty board, fcuk me will they ever learn, maybe if it's another 50 or 60 grand out of the clubs pockets people will realise the sh1t these boys get themselves into

country bumpkin

Not sure of the facts in this one........but how on earth can the county board close a 'social club'illegally if they own the joint?

Quote from: Gizzy15 on March 04, 2014, 07:57:50 AM
Quote from: hardstation on March 02, 2014, 05:52:27 PM
Well done to our players and management.

But, by fcuk, our county executive are some shower of cnuts.

Despite previously costing our county £50,000+ for illegally closing Casement Social Club, they have gone and done it again. They have gone against legal advice (which they received only 2 weeks ago) and turned off the electricity. Of course, this hasn't closed the club.

This will, however, present another legal case against our county and another possible loss of money.

A question for Jim Murray & Frankie Quinn - what are you getting out if this, you two scheming shyster cnuts? I hope it's worth it.

Another court battle looming for the cunty board, fcuk me will they ever learn, maybe if it's another 50 or 60 grand out of the clubs pockets people will realise the sh1t these boys get themselves into