Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glensman-derry

Holy Ghost Glens you have it in bad for Paddy.
I know he told the club he intends to turn out for them when he isnt involved with Antrim. So i would doubt very much he is involved with Gweedore. Himself and Kevin are friendly so I can see were the link might have happened. Doubt very much theres anything in it.

glens abu

Quote from: glensman-derry on December 03, 2013, 04:53:42 PM
Holy Ghost Glens you have it in bad for Paddy.
I know he told the club he intends to turn out for them when he isnt involved with Antrim. So i would doubt very much he is involved with Gweedore. Himself and Kevin are friendly so I can see were the link might have happened. Doubt very much theres anything in it.

Hope you are right but was on Twitter today about Gweedore.

glensman-derry

Taking gweedore would mean not playing for Glenullin. That'll not happen with Paddy.
I know he coaches in a summer scheme/irish school with Cassidy so I'd say its something along them lines. Nothing more than a few coaching sessions

country bumpkin

Quote from: glensman-derry on December 03, 2013, 06:50:06 PM
Taking gweedore would mean not playing for Glenullin. That'll not happen with Paddy.
I know he coaches in a summer scheme/irish school with Cassidy so I'd say its something along them lines. Nothing more than a few coaching sessions
Baker was by far the best coach/manager we have had for longer than I can remember and it's great to have him back. Sure he is in charge at Claudy at the moment and in fact he has guided them to the Derry u-21 final, but his committment to Antrim is beyond question.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 03, 2013, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: glensman-derry on December 03, 2013, 06:50:06 PM
Baker was by far the best coach/manager we have had for longer than I can remember and it's great to have him back. Sure he is in charge at Claudy at the moment and in fact he has guided them to the Derry u-21 final, but his committment to Antrim is beyond question.

Why would a manager leave & come back again a few years later, that being the case?

manballandall

Great time for him to come back on a personal level . With antrim in the doldrums the only way is up and if he gains promotion he will be a hero again . With the players available again and following last years debacle there is a good chance he will come out of this all smiles and be able to add to his cv. Not a hard decision really

bannside

The way I look at it Glens Abu is that if Paddy or Baker can work a position where they have two or three "paymasters" at the one time, then fair play to them for pulling off an amazing feat.  After all, they will be judged on results and not how many teams they can juggle at he one time!

My problem is not with them for attempting this - it is with a county board that I honestly feel wouldn't have the capacity to drill down to this necessary level of detail. Do they not know, or not care. That is the question. And which answer is worse?

Only in Antrim.....

Baker wont need reminding that his fourth and final year with Antrim was a mixed bag, and he was flat out involved with Glenullin that year too, so hopefully lessons will be learnt.

The styles of play were identical too. Way too defensive for my liking, and not productive at all. Hopefully lessons will have been learnt and we see a more expansive and attacking side this year. Going by reports that's Paddys brief.

Its a results driven business, so hopefully we should get out of division four and beat Fermanagh. Thats the bottom line. In the meantime we need to get behind it.

glens abu

Quote from: bannside on December 04, 2013, 12:02:14 PM
The way I look at it Glens Abu is that if Paddy or Baker can work a position where they have two or three "paymasters" at the one time, then fair play to them for pulling off an amazing feat.  After all, they will be judged on results and not how many teams they can juggle at he one time!

My problem is not with them for attempting this - it is with a county board that I honestly feel wouldn't have the capacity to drill down to this necessary level of detail. Do they not know, or not care. That is the question. And which answer is worse?

Only in Antrim.....

Baker wont need reminding that his fourth and final year with Antrim was a mixed bag, and he was flat out involved with Glenullin that year too, so hopefully lessons will be learnt.

The styles of play were identical too. Way too defensive for my liking, and not productive at all. Hopefully lessons will have been learnt and we see a more expansive and attacking side this year. Going by reports that's Paddys brief.

Its a results driven business, so hopefully we should get out of division four and beat Fermanagh. Thats the bottom line. In the meantime we need to get behind it.

Well bannside I think that's the least we should expect with the players we have,but my big concern is can the Baker boys give what is required by Antrim with having so many other interests and yes i would like to know if the interviewing panel were told of these other interests at the time.

glens abu

Quote from: Man Marker on December 04, 2013, 01:36:59 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 04, 2013, 12:02:14 PM

Only in Antrim.....

There taking a quer hand out of you Antrim boys, Paddy confirmed in the Irish News he's with Gweedore, playing with Glenullin and coaching with Antrim. I would love to hear the explanation of how he will juggle that up to the end of June, he'll have no bother in July and August due to being off as a teacher. Lets face it Antrim will be out of the picture by end of July as will most counities, but the bulk of the county commitments is from Jan to July, talk about serving 3 masters never mind two. Some craic.
Baker taking Claudy (is that it ) along with Antrim. If I were an Antrim man I would be taking that as an insult, and asking some serious questions off county officials.

From my understanding, if they of got the gig, that Madden and Adams other commitments apart from the senior county team was to manage the development squads and tail gate with the u21 and minor set up to bring ANTRIM forward. Now that's commitment to a county.

Didnt see that in Irish News but if its confirmed I think the CB need to take a good look at themselves and must be very hard for Adams and Madden to take.I wonder did the two glipes who voted for the Bakers know this.

stibhan

I'm sure Madden and Adams would have done a good job with the youth set up - why not approach them to do just that, then? It's what people in Tyrone do and I for one would like to see them cut their teeth at Inter County underage level and affirm their credentials for a job.

Baker was the best man for the Seniors in my opinion, from what was on offer. That is simply because he has a good track record with us and knows the county better than any other outsider. Outsiders, as we know, are fairly key in the world of Antrim Seniors for various reasons.

glens abu

Quote from: stibhan on December 04, 2013, 01:51:56 PM
I'm sure Madden and Adams would have done a good job with the youth set up - why not approach them to do just that, then? It's what people in Tyrone do and I for one would like to see them cut their teeth at Inter County underage level and affirm their credentials for a job.

Baker was the best man for the Seniors in my opinion, from what was on offer. That is simply because he has a good track record with us and knows the county better than any other outsider. Outsiders, as we know, are fairly key in the world of Antrim Seniors for various reasons.

Think they both have inter county experience,but maybe you are right and the Bakers will do the job.I know Paddy has a big ego but would still worry that he can play for his club and hold down two coaching jobs one in antrim and one in Gweedore.

glensman-derry

Could anyone post the article in the IN were Paddy confirmed he is taking Gweedore because I read it earlier and didnt see it!
As I said yesterday, Paddy confirmed to the club weeks ago he is going to continue playing when he can and when it doesnt interfere with Antrim. This talk of Gweedore is pie in the sky stuff.
He has kids and is currently building a house FFS
But its no surprise that Glens Abu and Man Marker want to try and make a story out of anything Paddy does. Serious gripe you men have I tell you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: glensman-derry on December 04, 2013, 01:59:03 PM
Could anyone post the article in the IN were Paddy confirmed he is taking Gweedore because I read it earlier and didnt see it!
As I said yesterday, Paddy confirmed to the club weeks ago he is going to continue playing when he can and when it doesnt interfere with Antrim. This talk of Gweedore is pie in the sky stuff.
But its no surprise that Glens Abu and Man Marker want to try and make a story out of anything Paddy does. Serious gripe you men have I tell you.

I don't think there is an agenda with Paddy, it's more of being able to serve 2/3 masters as it seems it is. I don't know what it is like in Derry, but I'd imagine that if your current county manager said he was involved with one club and his righthand man will be looking after 2 other clubs that it would be fine with yous also.....

Things are different in Derry I presume
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: glensman-derry on December 04, 2013, 01:59:03 PM

In which case having 3 'paymasters' would come in extremely handy.

oneclubonelife

I think Bannside that you are missing the point-Baker connot loose as it has been said that Antrim are at an all time low and hopefully for Antrim the only way is up. Baker is very tactically naive which has been proven at all the clubs he has been at.He has brought Paddy along to put him in the shop window so when Antrim have gained promotion in 2014 Paddy will be able to step on to the managerial gravy train doing the rounds. Make no mistake about that Baker and Paddy could not give a toss about Antrim - it is all about them and their status and what they can get out of it.

Bannside - exactly what is this expansive style of play that you are referring to