Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Well done to St Endas. They deserve a lot of credit for what they are trying to do there, and have an outstanding record at U-16 and minor level in the last few years.

They won all county minor league too a few weeks ago - a small fact that went unnoticed by quite a few. Thats to go with all county U-16 c`ship too, doubling up there from last year. Now they head for a Paul Mc Girr double too. Interesting times in Hightown.

I have a few lads playing at juvenile still and as a result saw them against St Endas a few times this year. Very well coached and organised and totally disciplined too, on the pitch and on the sideline.

Great to see, and thats what we need in this county - another three or four teams to make some kind of proper breakthrough.

bannside

See County under-21 final is in Sarsfields on Sunday at 2pm.

I wonder is it worthwhile our boys even turning up? Honestly, Im not joking.

Does Lamh Dherg have any players missing through suspension.

What would the odds be. 1/6 Lamhs? Evens minus 12 points?

Would Father David give us a blessing in Hannahstown before the game?

culchie11

Totally agree with u bannside in regard to st Endas, very well disciplined and it really shines through. Not just in how they tackle etc but they are drilled in when to shoot and when not too, basic things but they never waste a ball. It all comes from playing as a team.

Ur u21s have a chance of course. they beat fancied Creggan and Cargin sides. They showed great character in both games. They are limited in numbers but they sure make up for it in attitude and determination. Cargin tackled hard but ur boys took it and got on with it.

They cut through Cargin for their goals and this could be vital come Sunday. Will young duffin be available?

bannside

We got the breaks at the right times Culchie. Young Michael Clarke hit the post for them and that was the difference. Some player it has to be said.

We are really grateful just to be in the final. We are all about next year though -  thats our feile winning team. This year we struggle just to get 15 on the pitch. The only two subs we have don't even play gaelic football!

Lamhs at their peak, this is their Ulster team, and the match is 50 yards from the scene of that victory. Not sure who decides these things but there you go.

Peter Duffin not on the panel at all this year. Pity though, he can play a bit.

country bumpkin

Casement's will go into the under-21 final with a huge chance despite the curious venue................to play the game in the 'bear pit' certainly does not surprise at all when you consider who makes such call..........little Joe is the man.........but then the Stewartstown road is quite central (in his world).

Walter Cronc

Quote from: bannside on November 18, 2013, 08:31:15 PM
We got the breaks at the right times Culchie. Young Michael Clarke hit the post for them and that was the difference. Some player it has to be said.

We are really grateful just to be in the final. We are all about next year though -  thats our feile winning team. This year we struggle just to get 15 on the pitch. The only two subs we have don't even play gaelic football!

Lamhs at their peak, this is their Ulster team, and the match is 50 yards from the scene of that victory. Not sure who decides these things but there you go.

Peter Duffin not on the panel at all this year. Pity though, he can play a bit.

Is he at St Pats Maghera??

imtommygunn

BS did Portglenone ever win an u21 of the back of any of the good stinsons teams from the late 90s? I don't recall they did or if they even got to the final?(Genuine question and not a dig!!) Great achievement for them to get there and good to see someone different from the usual suspects in these finals.

bannside

Got to the final once before ITG. Think it was 2001.

Casements were two up against up and coming St Galls, with five minutes left. James Storey was left in the clear thirty yards out with just the keeper to beat. A goal would have sealed it, and a point would probably have too - but we wont ever know that...

Inexplicably the referee blew James up for over carrying. Even the neutrals could not believe what they saw, but this gave St Galls a lifeline they didn't expect - and like the good team they proved to be they got up by a single point.

2001 is still mentioned as the one we were deprived of by officialdom.

Four members of that side are involved in the management of this years U-21`s so they will need no extra motivation on Sunday.

imtommygunn

Ah i have vague recollections of that. Well hopefully you'll do it.  You should have a few still playing from that side I suspect.

bannside

Keeper Bryan Mc Cann, Tony Convery, Owen Doc and Gareth Kelly all still in the mix for a while yet. All hands needed round a club as you know.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on November 19, 2013, 01:03:32 PM
Got to the final once before ITG. Think it was 2001.

Casements were two up against up and coming St Galls, with five minutes left. James Storey was left in the clear thirty yards out with just the keeper to beat. A goal would have sealed it, and a point would probably have too - but we wont ever know that...

Inexplicably the referee blew James up for over carrying. Even the neutrals could not believe what they saw, but this gave St Galls a lifeline they didn't expect - and like the good team they proved to be they got up by a single point.

2001 is still mentioned as the one we were deprived of by officialdom.

Four members of that side are involved in the management of this years U-21`s so they will need no extra motivation on Sunday.

If my memory is correct that final went to a replay--1st game ending about 6 all, typical of games this time of year.

Portglenone had a great team and were big favourites. There was more than 1 point in it in the end too. 2 goals in last 5 minutes won it.

Galls then won about 4 u-21s and 5 seniors in a row. Portglenone didn't.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

You could be right Gold. Think St galls got two goals in the last few minutes to win it as you say. But at the time Storey was through another score would have wrapped it up, and that score would most likely have been a goal. Had that happened it would have left Casements five or six up with about two minutes left. The unbelievable call by the ref gave St Galls an unexpected lifeline and they had the class to sieze the gift horse.

St Galls kicked on and Portglenone didn't - no one can dispute that. They turned out to be a super team in fairness, maybe the best the county ever had.

To put it in perspective, St Galls beat Nemo Rangers on 2006 by more than they beat Portglenone in our county final.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on November 19, 2013, 05:44:09 PM
You could be right Gold. Think St galls got two goals in the last few minutes to win it as you say. But at the time Storey was through another score would have wrapped it up, and that score would most likely have been a goal. Had that happened it would have left Casements five or six up with about two minutes left. The unbelievable call by the ref gave St Galls an unexpected lifeline and they had the class to sieze the gift horse.

St Galls kicked on and Portglenone didn't - no one can dispute that. They turned out to be a super team in fairness, maybe the best the county ever had.

To put it in perspective, St Galls beat Nemo Rangers on 2006 by more than they beat Portglenone in our county final.

I know what you are saying but I hate this type of perspective being used, It's like saying if Cargin, Lamhs and say St Pauls who we only beat by a point this year could be contenders later on in a different competition.

We were lucky, well we took the opportunity when we did to win the Championship 12/13 years ago and since then they have worked their socks off to stay at the top, I don't know why the other teams have not put in a serious challenge over the years?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Mr that was a serious crop of players you had. (I guess still have but not at the same level as before)

Cargin,i always thought ,could have challenged you more but no one else on the same planet.

Continuity a big thing too i think as per tyrone's good teams. I thought the best galls players also took the opportunity when at university to really develop themselves and some have sigerson medals as key players.

Portglenone, while doing great to get to county finals, were not quite at the same level as nemo!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea