Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

The ref done well to play extra time at hannahstown this time !

The Memory Man

Call me old fashioned but when the referee gives the crowd the 'bird' surely he should hang up his whistle.  Duffy's behaviour was attrious something more akin to the terraces of Windsor Pk. I would like to think he should be challenged by officialdom for his behavior?

Fair enough he was getting a bit of stick from the crowd but his reaction was pathetic, you would think he would be better concentrating on the game rather than engaging with the crowd.

As for his performance, can only be described in one word, beginning with c and ending with t, 5 letters not 4!  :)

He is the man running the show regarding referee's in Antrim, he needs to take a good look at himself and the way he officiates, maybe he should just concentrate on the administrative side of the job?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Memory Man on October 28, 2013, 09:21:00 AM
Call me old fashioned but when the referee gives the crowd the 'bird' surely he should hang up his whistle.  Duffy's behaviour was attrious something more akin to the terraces of Windsor Pk. I would like to think he should be challenged by officialdom for his behavior?

Fair enough he was getting a bit of stick from the crowd but his reaction was pathetic, you would think he would be better concentrating on the game rather than engaging with the crowd.

As for his performance, can only be described in one word, beginning with c and ending with t, 5 letters not 4!  :)

He is the man running the show regarding referee's in Antrim, he needs to take a good look at himself and the way he officiates, maybe he should just concentrate on the administrative side of the job?

Try refereeing Memory man, Id say if you referee the Johnnies in Corrigan you'd pack it in, the abuse you get from the 'hill' is daft, they give out from start to finish and question your parentage the whole time, If I came on here and called you a bastard and you were always a bastard you'd be giving me more than the bird.

When two teams want to fight rather play football it makes things a lot harder to control.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jdyok

>:(MR2, you're normally level headed and sensible with your comments. Regarding the game, and indeed all games, players should be and are usually held accountable. On this occasion, the referee failed to deal with the first skirmish, and walked off instead of doing what he was there to do when a second coming together happened with a couple of minutes remaining. This was the best game I've attended in 2013 and I've probably seen 3 or 4 games every week. That's what should be getting the air time on this forum. I am a fervent supporter of referees and without exception stick up for them even when they get it wrong. Does anyone hold the referee to task for making an error of this nature. We're not talking about him not seeing a clear foul and not giving it. We've all made those mistakes. To walk away at that stage of the game left everyone there in a state of confusion asking why.  >:(

ArfurFoxAche

'When two teams want to fight rather play football it makes things a lot harder to control'.

For the majority of the game this was not the case.  In fact, given the conditions and with the exceptions of a few overly robust tackles and couple of flare-ups towards the end, both teams served up a decent game.  I can even say that the ref took the conditions into account in letting a lot go, giving some players the benefit of the doubt rather than dishing out cards.  I'll give him credit for that at least.  Some wouldn't.

As I've said before, I tend to take up a vantage point divorced from the rest of my club mates - and I am a Naomh Eoin man before you ask.  From that vantage point I saw some of my club mates questioning the ref's laissez faire approach at times, while at other times bemoaning his inconsistency.  Same from the Lamh Dhearg supporters as it happens but to a lesser extent.  I can take that any day of the week.

Likewise, if you think it appropriate to give the 'bird' to someone in the crowd who asks him, and I quote 'do your job', in sorting out the constant encroachment by the defending player at free kicks, or whether it is appropriate telling a player to 'go fcuk himself' shortly afterwards, then that's fair enough.  We're all human after all and we all have a breaking point. 

I'm also glad there's an admission that referees do react to what's being directed from the sidelines or the crowd.  So take that thought one step further.  Would these reactions, however understandable, influence the way he officiates or treats one team?  Again, human nature dictates that it would...one of the reasons why I have no desire to be a referee...someone annoys me I'll sometimes try to annoy them back!  Fair play to those that do though.  I won't criticise anyone who admits they can get it wrong sometimes.  I suspect the report from Saturday's match won't contain any such admission unfortunately.

Give respect, get respect is a great mantra to push with all our players from U8 right up to senior.  Clubs have a lot to do in getting all their players to buy into it.  But it works both ways.  If a player can be sidelined for either of the actions mentioned above, why should the man in the middle be exempt from sanction?

So we'll await the 'gospel according to GD' with baited breath to see whether he has the capacity to recognise his human frailties...not holding out much hope mind you!

jdyok

No red cards, couple of yellows for persistent fouling. Decent performance from your boys yesterday. Enough talent there to move to mid-table and beyond....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on October 28, 2013, 11:08:41 AM
'When two teams want to fight rather play football it makes things a lot harder to control'.

For the majority of the game this was not the case.  In fact, given the conditions and with the exceptions of a few overly robust tackles and couple of flare-ups towards the end, both teams served up a decent game.  I can even say that the ref took the conditions into account in letting a lot go, giving some players the benefit of the doubt rather than dishing out cards.  I'll give him credit for that at least.  Some wouldn't.

As I've said before, I tend to take up a vantage point divorced from the rest of my club mates - and I am a Naomh Eoin man before you ask.  From that vantage point I saw some of my club mates questioning the ref's laissez faire approach at times, while at other times bemoaning his inconsistency.  Same from the Lamh Dhearg supporters as it happens but to a lesser extent.  I can take that any day of the week.

Likewise, if you think it appropriate to give the 'bird' to someone in the crowd who asks him, and I quote 'do your job', in sorting out the constant encroachment by the defending player at free kicks, or whether it is appropriate telling a player to 'go fcuk himself' shortly afterwards, then that's fair enough.  We're all human after all and we all have a breaking point. 

I'm also glad there's an admission that referees do react to what's being directed from the sidelines or the crowd.  So take that thought one step further.  Would these reactions, however understandable, influence the way he officiates or treats one team?  Again, human nature dictates that it would...one of the reasons why I have no desire to be a referee...someone annoys me I'll sometimes try to annoy them back!  Fair play to those that do though.  I won't criticise anyone who admits they can get it wrong sometimes.  I suspect the report from Saturday's match won't contain any such admission unfortunately.

Give respect, get respect is a great mantra to push with all our players from U8 right up to senior.  Clubs have a lot to do in getting all their players to buy into it.  But it works both ways.  If a player can be sidelined for either of the actions mentioned above, why should the man in the middle be exempt from sanction?

So we'll await the 'gospel according to GD' with baited breath to see whether he has the capacity to recognise his human frailties...not holding out much hope mind you!

I'm obviously going on what I was told, I wasn't there but speaking to a clubman who was, I was busy refereeing the girls tournament at the club, in the pissing rain, I've just dried out, there wasn't a whimper from the parents (of which there was many) or a player the whole time (an example to the boys ;))

As for giving someone the finger I have been told he didn't as for telling some one fcuk off well as you say we all have our breaking point, if I was questioning your decisions all day long you'd be doing the same, as you have admitted. Everyone watching the game will have a view on how it's going, the referee does not intentionally set out to have a bad game, likewise the players also. I've on many occasions missed a foul, why? Maybe someone ran in front of me, I was tracking the ball and missed what happened before the ball got there, maybe he lifted it off the ground and I thought it hopped up, we are human, not robots who see everything and keep everyone happy.

Your are claiming referees will be 'influence the way he officiates or treats one team'  why? There seems to be a view that referees hold grudges, if someone is abusive to me I'll send him off and let the CCC deal with it, the more the referees do this the better, consistency for that also. You can't do that if they are standing on the hill ouside the pitch

Was also told that after the 'handbags' there were ten noted and red cards to be given to players, this would have made the game abandoned anyways
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ArfurFoxAche

You don't think referees hold grudges.  You also tell us they are not robots, ergo they are human.  Human's, referees included, have the propensity to hold grudges.  Are referees exempt from this very human of emotions?

Take it from me, he did flash the finger.  Did it not 10 yards away from me much to the disbelief of most of the people in the vicinity, both Naomh Eoin and Lamh Dhearg men alike.  Whoever told you he didn't is either lying to you, wasn't standing at that part of the ground, or wasn't even at the match.

As I said, it matters not one jot what me or anyone else thinks happened.  I think he was restarting the game having dealt with the initial handbags, having issued cards, and then decided he couldn't be arsed anymore.  Most people at the match thought that.  The umpires and linesmen seemed to think that. 

Unfortunately, now it looks like we'll be presented with the narrative that WW3 had broken out and he was going to abandon it anyway.  You heard it here first folks.  Do me a favour MR2.  Ask the man in question if he did the action in question.  Let us know when he tells you he didn't so we can add that to the grudge pile.  We have a lot of them.  We're human you see...

jdyok

Beller clearly delighted with the win yesterday. An auld set of black jerseys would've come in handy yesterday...:-)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on October 28, 2013, 02:35:02 PM
You don't think referees hold grudges.  You also tell us they are not robots, ergo they are human.  Human's, referees included, have the propensity to hold grudges.  Are referees exempt from this very human of emotions?

Take it from me, he did flash the finger.  Did it not 10 yards away from me much to the disbelief of most of the people in the vicinity, both Naomh Eoin and Lamh Dhearg men alike.  Whoever told you he didn't is either lying to you, wasn't standing at that part of the ground, or wasn't even at the match.

As I said, it matters not one jot what me or anyone else thinks happened.  I think he was restarting the game having dealt with the initial handbags, having issued cards, and then decided he couldn't be arsed anymore.  Most people at the match thought that.  The umpires and linesmen seemed to think that. 

Unfortunately, now it looks like we'll be presented with the narrative that WW3 had broken out and he was going to abandon it anyway.  You heard it here first folks.  Do me a favour MR2.  Ask the man in question if he did the action in question.  Let us know when he tells you he didn't so we can add that to the grudge pile.  We have a lot of them.  We're human you see...

As I've said before, I tend to take up a vantage point divorced from the rest of my club mates is that ten yards away?  ;)

ArfurFoxAche

In this case you certainly could, given that there were not much more than 100 at the game and that the perimeter at Hannahstown - or the Highway to Health - is massive.  Could you not be 10 yards away from the incident, standing on your own, well away from anyone else?  I'll draw you a diagram if you want to continue to split hairs:)

Roll on the wee Joe's grand inquisition and the quest for the truth...or not.  I know he did it, he knows he did it but I doubt he's going to admit it or the refereeing fraternity are willing to countenance that he did.

That's life I suppose.

The Memory Man

MR2 don't defend the indefensible, it only makes you look stupid.  I appreciate the men in black need to stick together but seriously!  As for referee's not holding grudges...are you having a laugh. 

At the minute there is a good cohort of referees, yourself  :), Totes, Mark O'Neill, Aidan Kelly & Collie McKnight however we have our tubes and Mr Duffy is king of the inflatables!!  Don't get me started about our arrogant and ignorant friend Owen Elliott, Mr Personality!!!

As a long standing member of the GAA with a still significant input and someone who has represented the County from U14 to Senior I feel I am in a position to comment.  Referees do a great job and only for them we would have no games, I have the utmost respect for them but when the power goes to their head and it's all about "me" then they have to be the centre of attention its time to pack it in.

The best referees were those who were anonymous, left their egos in the dressing room before they went out ie. Billy Reid (RIP), Tommy McIntyre, Sean Murray, Jim Donnelly, Mick Dwyer (RIP).. guys who just got on with the game, had a smile on their face and told you to behave yourself before they booked you ;)  Unfortunately we have others in Antrim in the past and currently who think they are the most important person on the pitch, i'll not name names but im sure the posters on here could name a few alright!

Don't get me wrong I have no axe to grind with referees, we all just want a bit of honesty and integrity from the men in the middle, unfortunately we don't always get it. 

GIVE RESPECT GET RESPECT.  It seemed to be lacking in this case.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ArfurFoxAche on October 28, 2013, 04:33:17 PM
In this case you certainly could, given that there were not much more than 100 at the game and that the perimeter at Hannahstown - or the Highway to Health - is massive.  Could you not be 10 yards away from the incident, standing on your own, well away from anyone else?  I'll draw you a diagram if you want to continue to split hairs:)

Roll on the wee Joe's grand inquisition and the quest for the truth...or not.  I know he did it, he knows he did it but I doubt he's going to admit it or the refereeing fraternity are willing to countenance that he did.

That's life I suppose.

I'll not need a diagram, I stuck a smiley face on the end to say I was having a laugh

Ok a serious question, from your vantage point did you see anyone get struck by a mentor? (current county footballer)

Was there any red card offences? (striking/attempting to strike with hand or foot)

Did Garret cause it?

Was Garret getting abuse from any players/mentors/supporters during the game? How would you deal with that?

Do you think it's fair game to come on to a discussion board and hid behind a alias and ridicule a gaa official?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Memory Man on October 28, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
MR2 don't defend the indefensible, it only makes you look stupid.  I appreciate the men in black need to stick together but seriously!  As for referee's not holding grudges...are you having a laugh. 

At the minute there is a good cohort of referees, yourself  :), Totes, Mark O'Neill, Aidan Kelly & Collie McKnight however we have our tubes and Mr Duffy is king of the inflatables!!  Don't get me started about our arrogant and ignorant friend Owen Elliott, Mr Personality!!!

As a long standing member of the GAA with a still significant input and someone who has represented the County from U14 to Senior I feel I am in a position to comment.  Referees do a great job and only for them we would have no games, I have the utmost respect for them but when the power goes to their head and it's all about "me" then they have to be the centre of attention its time to pack it in.

The best referees were those who were anonymous, left their egos in the dressing room before they went out ie. Billy Reid (RIP), Tommy McIntyre, Sean Murray, Jim Donnelly, Mick Dwyer (RIP).. guys who just got on with the game, had a smile on their face and told you to behave yourself before they booked you ;)  Unfortunately we have others in Antrim in the past and currently who think they are the most important person on the pitch, i'll not name names but im sure the posters on here could name a few alright!

Don't get me wrong I have no axe to grind with referees, we all just want a bit of honesty and integrity from the men in the middle, unfortunately we don't always get it. 

GIVE RESPECT GET RESPECT.  It seemed to be lacking in this case.

Stupid? hmmm lets see, long standing member of the GAA? how do i know? you could be some fool who's never been a member of any club for all I know ;)

Power? are you daft? what power is he getting from refereeing a match? I'd love to know. It's very simple, you blow the whistle and call the fouls/scores as you see them, the game is easy up to the point when teams would rather get involved in handbags, then it shifts to the referee, he caused it, wise up

I've know Garrett a right few years in fairness of course I'm going to take a view that he tried to referee it as fairly as he can, I don't think as a referee you go out there to favour a team over another I know I don't (do any of those current referees you mention do that?), I'm a Galls man I've no love for most clubs, playing so many years gives you that, I must admit that as you get older you mellow and the lads who you were up against as a lad become good mates.

Banter is fine I can deal with that, christ I've left myself open many times so getting friendly abuse is grand, but once it turns nasty it really is crap, Garrett I believe took a bit of the nasty stuff and it has continued on the this board.

I wasn't there so can't actually comment on the events only tell you what I was told, so I'm not in a postion to defend what happen, I think it's only fair of me to defend Garrett, I've watched him referee many games, he's his way and other referees you mentioned, all of which I played under, special mention to Mick and Billy RIP to both, great referees as you say had a bitta common sense.

You said you'll not mention names but have with Garrett. The last comment could be used a different way

GET RESPECT GIVE RESPECT it seems to be lacking by a lot of teams.

Lets not get into a slagging match, we all have gripes, I've had a lot of run ins with officials and a player, manager and as long standing gaa man ;)

ArfurFoxAche

I'll not need a diagram, I stuck a smiley face on the end to say I was having a laugh

And I stuck a colon/closed bracket on the end of mine - smiley face in other words.  You could say I was aware of your jest.

Ok a serious question, from your vantage point did you see anyone get struck by a mentor? (current county footballer)

The simple answer is no.  I think I've figured out who you're referring to.  He was involved in the row, yes.  Did I see him strike anyone, no.  Doesn't mean he didn't though does it.  Serious question to you.  Did you see him strike anyone?  The answer to that would have to be no as you were in Naomh Gall officiating at the U16 tournament so someone told you he did.

Was there any red card offences? (striking/attempting to strike with hand or foot)

There probably were.  Was that not what the referee was dealing with when he was taking all those names and decided nobody was being sent off?  Would any of the things attributed to the ref be considered red card offences?  What would happen if a player verbally abused the referee or gestured to him in a similar way.  What's the rule on that?

Did Garret cause it?

Where did I say he did?  Read my posts.  I passed comment on his hand gesture and verbals to players.  Those involved in the row caused it.

Was Garret getting abuse from any players/mentors/supporters during the game? How would you deal with that?

Already said he was.  How would you deal with it?  Tell me the guidance referees are given for dealing with it and I'll tell you whether the ref on Saturday adhered to it.  Surely the same rules are applied in all cases.

Do you think it's fair game to come on to a discussion board and hid behind a alias and ridicule a gaa official?

I have pointed out things that occurred at a match I watched which happened to involve a referee.  It's entirely up to you if you want to consider it to be ridiculous - although it was ridiculous, if you know what I mean  :-\

I'm hiding behind the same anonymity as you and the rest of the people who post.  Do you think it's fair game to come on a discussion board and ridicule (your words) GAA players, mentors, CCC, county board, members of other clubs, an coiste bainisti and Croke Park etc on a regular basis?  Seems to happen a great deal - not for a minute suggesting you do it though.  You saying referees are a special breed exempt from fair comment, for that's what I consider my contributions to be?

'but once it turns nasty it really is crap, Garrett I believe took a bit of the nasty stuff and it has continued on the this board'

Nastiness?  No nastiness from me on Saturday and no nastiness in any of my posts today - if you are referring to my posts in your comment above.  I pointed out something I saw the referee do and something I heard him say.  If you don't think that's worthy of mention then fair enough.  I'll continue to think it is but no point flogging a dead horse.