Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendanbelfast

"Has Brendan Crossen (Irish News)a direct line to cb or is he pushing his own agenda?"

He certainly doesn't and he writes all of his Antrim speculation stories without ever contacting the CB. Ever.

ApresMatch

Did Dawson think Bryansford is a bigger job than Antrim? Can't get my head round that thinking, especially him being an Antrim man.

manballandall

It's simple . He knew he wouldn't get all players on board and face a similar season to last so when a money offer came in he jumped. Simple

jftj

Quote from: ApresMatch on October 12, 2013, 01:04:11 PM
Did Dawson think Bryansford is a bigger job than Antrim? Can't get my head round that thinking, especially him being an Antrim man.
its all about the money,money,money.what really irks me is he didnt have the decency to fall on his sword when he completely fucked up.happy to keep the cheque,good riddance.

James Gatz

Agree that we need to set up a sub county committee delegated with the responsibility of finding a new manager. We don't want a repeat of the nomination fiasco which somehow resulted in one of the most unsuccessful and bizarre managers (still trying to get my head around a few of his media comments) of recent times being reappointed for another year. The committee should at the very least approach the McEntees, McGonigle, Banty, Rory Gallagher and John Rafferty. That is a very impressive list of candidates and I would be very confident of getting promoted and beating Fermanagh should we attain the services of any of those men. In particular we should do anything and everything in our power to get Tony McEntee or Rory Gallagher. I accept it is unlikely that either will be exactly jumping at the opportunity to manage our county, but we should at the very least contact them and make them as attractive an offer as possible. Pitch it like this; we have a very talented group of players who could mix it with the best in Ulster if all united and properly prepared. We have underachieved massively and the person who rectifies this will receive massive plaudits and exposure on the intercounty circuit if the job is done properly, which any good manager should be well capable of. We're looking for a modern, innovative manager who will have a professional set up and get the best players out and get the best of the players. Free up money from Dunsilly and the hurlers to put together a good package to attract these people, if it is indeed the case that the vast majority of the cash generated is being pumped into these two ventures.
It's a sad time when we have to attract managers and even players seem to need convincing to play, but we have to accept where we are and build the thing back up again. In reality I think we should accept that, rightly or wrongly, there may be a poor perception of the Antrim County Board out there after the Dawson fiasco and the general dire year we have just had, and thus we need to go out and court good managers rather than waiting for applications which may prove to be few and far between.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: James Gatz on October 13, 2013, 03:28:25 AM
Agree that we need to set up a sub county committee delegated with the responsibility of finding a new manager. We don't want a repeat of the nomination fiasco which somehow resulted in one of the most unsuccessful and bizarre managers (still trying to get my head around a few of his media comments) of recent times being reappointed for another year. The committee should at the very least approach the McEntees, McGonigle, Banty, Rory Gallagher and John Rafferty. That is a very impressive list of candidates and I would be very confident of getting promoted and beating Fermanagh should we attain the services of any of those men. In particular we should do anything and everything in our power to get Tony McEntee or Rory Gallagher. I accept it is unlikely that either will be exactly jumping at the opportunity to manage our county, but we should at the very least contact them and make them as attractive an offer as possible. Pitch it like this; we have a very talented group of players who could mix it with the best in Ulster if all united and properly prepared. We have underachieved massively and the person who rectifies this will receive massive plaudits and exposure on the intercounty circuit if the job is done properly, which any good manager should be well capable of. We're looking for a modern, innovative manager who will have a professional set up and get the best players out and get the best of the players. Free up money from Dunsilly and the hurlers to put together a good package to attract these people, if it is indeed the case that the vast majority of the cash generated is being pumped into these two ventures.
It's a sad time when we have to attract managers and even players seem to need convincing to play, but we have to accept where we are and build the thing back up again. In reality I think we should accept that, rightly or wrongly, there may be a poor perception of the Antrim County Board out there after the Dawson fiasco and the general dire year we have just had, and thus we need to go out and court good managers rather than waiting for applications which may prove to be few and far between.

What money? And taking the shillings from the hurlers will will leave them at a disadvantage also. Come back with a better idea for raising money to intice a modern manager 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stibhan

The hurlers have a good manager who has a vision for the county and knows the IC scene better than anyone within. He also oversaw our most significant result at intercounty level with little support in terms of playing staff. I would see no reason to take any money away from his set-up to pump into the footballers unless there is extreme disparity.

James Gatz

From what I have heard there is extreme disparity in the funding of our senior hurling and football teams, and rectifying this would at least go a small way to making more money available to our next manager.
And MR2, how about this idea? Everyone supports Club Aontroma by putting their hands in the their pockets. Do you? Does anyone else on here? I've said it before, the very innovative One Antrim scheme is a mere tenner a month, £2.50 a week. The price of a cup of coffee. Who can't afford that? If all the naysayers during Dawson's reign, all the keyboard warriors out there who are happy to sit behind a computer screen and bemoan our county's fortunes were to actually help the county by signing up to this scheme we might actually be in the  financial position to attract a manager of the status of Tony McEntee.

Milltown Row2

You can also be called a keyboard warrior. You could be hiding behind a fake name fake stories about yourself. As for doing my bit. I go to the games I pay in. I buy the tickets for the draw at half time. I go to both codes. Financially 10 quid a week would be grand. add in club membership, gym membership a host of other bills the kids fees for everything they do it certainly adds up.

If there is a disparity in both codes that should be addressed. Im all for equality.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

Another twist in the Dawson saga in IN today . Not a major shock as we all suspected there was more to it but why oh why does the county board leave themselves wide open for ridicule. Unprofessional is being kind

Glensman

Quote from: manballandall on October 16, 2013, 07:58:53 AM
Another twist in the Dawson saga in IN today . Not a major shock as we all suspected there was more to it but why oh why does the county board leave themselves wide open for ridicule. Unprofessional is being kind

What did the article say?

On another note I understand the Johnnies were dishing out a bit of dirt in their under 21 match v St Brigids. Seemed a comfortable result and am guessing was never in doubt before they fielded with all their juvenile success of late so one wonders why?! Belfast (G)gaels...tut tut again.

jftj

Quote from: Glensman on October 16, 2013, 08:58:56 PM

On another note I understand the Johnnies were dishing out a bit of dirt in their under 21 match v St Brigids. Seemed a comfortable result and am guessing was never in doubt before they fielded with all their juvenile success of late so one wonders why?! Belfast (G)gaels...tut tut again.
handbags concernin 2 lads who were as bad as each other.move on,nothing to see here!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jftj on October 16, 2013, 09:30:31 PM

handbags concernin 2 lads who were as bad as each other.move on,nothing to see here!
?
On the under 21 topic, I see they have introduced a b championship for first round teams that have been knocked out, good or bad?

Glensman

Not what I heard sir but happy to move on...if thugs would do likewise from the Gaelic pitch!

jftj

Quote from: Glensman on October 17, 2013, 12:42:23 AM

Not what I heard sir but happy to move on...if thugs would do likewise from the Gaelic pitch!
i think there was 3 yellow cards the whole game.hardly a belfast gaels type game,more like somebody trying to stir the shit!